HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2006, 07:01 AM
Model Builder
Joined Apr 2006
34 Posts
Alert
Hartman Fibreglass Stilll Going Strong-You hear that Tug Boat Enthusiasts!!!

Please let the word get out that Hartman Fibreglass (Dwight Hartman-Argenta Illinois) is still producing many various kits. Here are the kits listed in his catalog which I just picked up!!!

Douglass Greg Tug, Charger Express Cruiser (Huge cabin cruiser), Delta Queen, Big Bunker Boat (open seas large fishing vessel), Lil Toot Tug, East Coast 12 Meter, 36/600 Sailboat, Yacht 420, Diesel River Towboat, Monterey Clipper trawler (I think it's a trawler), 50/800 sailing yacht, C-2 Cargo Ship, Canadian Bluenose Schooner fishing boat, Two Masted Scale Schooner Malabar One.

He offers drawings, photos and a range of parts for all his kits, and various videos (of many modeling events, and I believe a few informational ones).

I have seen in a couple different places that said Mr. Hartman had sold his business and these kits were no longer available which is simply not the case whatsoever. I know this because my father and I just visited Dwight Hartman's shop, as we only live 20 minutes away, and my dad ordered two Douglas Gregs.

I'm sure such bad misconceptions have affected his business-common sense tells me that. Not good, considering that Mr. Hartman puts out some top notch stuff, and is a wealth of knowledge this Hobby Needs!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm letting all know for the good of this hobby-as I know Hartman products are highly sought after, and I am not trying to advertise-I enjoy this hobby just like the rest of us here.

So everyone get the word out that Dwight Hartman Fibreglass is still going strong, SHOUT IT OUT, cause I know there are some tug boaters out there that will love this news!!!!

Hartman Fibreglass
PO BOX 86
Argenta, IL 62501

(217)795-2275
Allen D is offline Find More Posts by Allen D
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2006, 08:10 AM
Joined Jan 2006
860 Posts
I have always wanted to buy one of his hulls/kits. I just wish he had a web site to view and order from. He has a great reputation and does excellent work. Have you seen a photo of either the Montery clipper or the Lil Toot Tug? I was wondering how large a hull these were? These days I don't like to build anything over 3 ft.
Take care,
Don
Tug Guy is offline Find More Posts by Tug Guy
Old Apr 16, 2006, 10:10 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,385 Posts
Monterrey Clipper- 52-3/8" LOA
Lil' Toot- 20" LOA

Image below scanned from Dwight's literature. Have yet to see a picture of a completed M. Clipper, just a hull.

Pat M
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Apr 16, 2006, 10:19 AM
Swieqi Malta
Joined Nov 2005
264 Posts
Has anyone got a pic of the Charger Express Cruiser (Huge cabin cruiser)?

Hello
I would love to see a picture of this cabin cruiser. Has anybody out there got one to show me?
Thanks
Stephen
shipcollector5 is offline Find More Posts by shipcollector5
Old Apr 16, 2006, 11:08 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,385 Posts
Here ya go. From his catalog.

Pat M
Old Apr 16, 2006, 11:18 AM
Joined Jan 2006
860 Posts
Thanks for the photos Pat. I have a Montery Clipper, I got mine from Pandora Models in Marina Del Ray, Ca. Mine is 44" long. It looks identical to Hartman's.
Lil Toot looks very detailed for a 20" tug.
Tug Guy is offline Find More Posts by Tug Guy
Old Apr 16, 2006, 11:32 AM
Swieqi Malta
Joined Nov 2005
264 Posts
What a beauty. Itís a must have model boat.

Hello Pat M
Thank you so much.
Now i have a problem. Where can i get one?
Thanks
Stephen
Old Apr 16, 2006, 11:36 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,385 Posts
You call Dwight. See above.

Cheers!
PM
Old Apr 16, 2006, 11:37 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,996 Posts
Oooo, those look nice! the cruiser has a little bit of a "Roamer" look to it (the metal Chris Craft)

Any pics/specs on the Blue Nose?
Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Apr 16, 2006, 11:51 AM
Central Missouri,USA Along the banks of the Missouri River
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
Hello,If you guys want to see alot of pics of Dwights work there two really good places to look.First go to the St Louis Amirals R/C Boat website and click on the "fleet" button.I believe the Gracie S is the schooner someone was wanting to see.I belong to the Admirals(live 60miles west of St Louis) and have had the fortune to see all these fine boats.The other place is Vacuboat.com.Theres a link to 180 pics from our last regatta and theres alot of Dwights boats there including,I believe the HUGE cabin cruiser.Check out these pics and enjoy!!!

Tim
tim slocum is offline Find More Posts by tim slocum
Old Apr 16, 2006, 12:21 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,385 Posts
Dwight's catalog says the Bluenose hull is for static build only, not designed for the ballast required to make a model yacht work.
PM
Old Apr 16, 2006, 12:28 PM
Swieqi Malta
Joined Nov 2005
264 Posts
Hartman Fibreglass Charger Express Cruiser (Huge cabin cruiser),

Hi Tim
Thanks, really nice pictures.
I am trying to find more info on Hartman Fiberglass, products and who sells them too. But I cannot find a shop that offers these kits (hulls)?

Can anyone help me find a source of supply (web site, email address etc)

Stephen
Old Apr 16, 2006, 02:26 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,385 Posts
You want Hartman stuff, you call Dwight. On the phone (remember those?).
That's just the way he works, for the last 43 years or so.
And call in the morning or evening, because he won't pick up during the day when he's laying 'glass.

PM
Old Apr 16, 2006, 08:39 PM
Winnipeg Canada
Joined Mar 2006
250 Posts
I just got off the phone with Mr. Hartman. (I was inquiring about his "Bunker Boat" --the big seagoing Atlantic Trawler hull.) As Pat just said, he is VERY MUCH still in business! He does not have a computer, hence no Website....but he DOES have a catalogue available for $10.00, that covers (according to our conversation) 17 different boats that he still makes (including the "Bunker").

So...those of you who are interested in his Tug(s) ...or anything else of his...be assured that he is still making them/it!

Just FYI....

Paul McD.
killick is offline Find More Posts by killick
Old Apr 16, 2006, 08:50 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,566 Posts
A couple of years ago on of our club members bought Dwight's charger, no engine or electronics. He hasn't done anything with it as of yet.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat