Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 07, 2002, 11:30 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,368 Posts
Who has wiped out their HL Spitfire, FW 190 or Hellcat in the first few flights?

With 50 views on the success thread and no response from someone who has flown the planes I thought I would approach it from both ends. If you destroyed your plane quickly please share what happened to your Spit, FW 190 or Hellcat. Mike
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2002, 06:43 AM
nova scotia
Joined Mar 2002
210 Posts
hl spit

my father inlaw bought a hl spitfire he put it together and he hung it up on his wall it was there for like a month or so.
so i told him to go out and fly it he got up enough guts to do so
so he had about 3 aborted take offs well on the 4th run it was air born he was about 20 feet up and he turned and tip stalled the plane came straight down and broke into lot and lots of pices..

that was about 2 months ago now he has one comming he should get it by today or tuesday

ill post some pics of the carnage

oh by the way that was his second plane he flew besides the tiger moth lol
CLARKE is offline Find More Posts by CLARKE
Old Jul 08, 2002, 06:58 AM
United States, FL, Starke
Joined Apr 2002
2,259 Posts
I built it and went to a lot of trouble to change the paint scheme to be that of the Eagle Squadron...

I was very relucant to fly it. I took it to the field and, by coincidence, one of our previous club members, known for hes flying ability, was there and asked if he could fly it. I let him and it flew OK from what I could see.

A month or so goes by and I get the nerve up to give it a shot myself. I tried 5 take-offs but found the take off was very slow and kept hitting the grass area (I was on a concrete runway). I gave my self more room and tried again. It started to rise but I gave it too much up, it stalled from about 5 feet, hit the ground and snapped the tail... an easy fix. Next week, I'm out there again and this time I let it rise on its own. I got it airborne the first try. I found, IHMO, that is was terribly underpowered and could fly flat but forget anything else like a roll or loop. I changed the prop and seemed to get better performance. I got a roll or 2 in and even a loop (barely). Later on, after several touch and goes, I tried another loop. MISTAKE! It did not have the power to complete the loop, stalled, went into a spin and...

dd.
Doc Data is offline Find More Posts by Doc Data
Old Jul 08, 2002, 08:13 AM
nova scotia
Joined Mar 2002
210 Posts
ohhhhhhh thats got to hurt

sorry about the loss that paint job is one of the best i seen so far for the spitfire now here is one for ya

i have been flying foamies for 2 months now and i went out and bought a greatplanes spitfire .40 now this is my first gas plane
and i only learned how to fly maybe 3 months ago
and i have seen lots of bad crashes now i was talking to my buddy in the hobby shop and he says that i sould be able to fly it with no problem at all.. lets just say i am not confident enough to yet. I still have to do some work to the wings and then its ready for covering. i am going out to my father inlaws house and ill get the spitfire and show yas the total carnage of it
Old Jul 08, 2002, 10:02 AM
nova scotia
Joined Mar 2002
210 Posts
here are 2 pics of the carnage

look at these
Old Jul 08, 2002, 10:03 AM
nova scotia
Joined Mar 2002
210 Posts
pic 2

pic 2
Old Jul 08, 2002, 05:04 PM
Colonial Heights, Virginia, USA
Joined Mar 2001
1,710 Posts
WAS a very nice job ,Doc D. btw, what's the Green (tape ?) around the canopy for ??? ......... kw
KillerWatt is offline Find More Posts by KillerWatt
Old Jul 08, 2002, 06:36 PM
Joined Apr 2002
2,259 Posts
I had come close to finishing the detailing and thought... why am I doing this now?. I decided to attach the canopy with green tape and leave it that way until I had some air time on the plane (which never came to pass. ). I still needed to finish some paneling lines as well as making a cleaner attachment for the canopy.

dd.
Old Jul 08, 2002, 07:35 PM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,095 Posts
Mike:

My experience with my modified HL Focke Wulf is detailed elsewhere in the Foamies forum. As you know, I lost the plane on the 6th or 7th flight due to an unexplained radio glitch that caused it to get a sudden jolt of down elevator during a high speed low pass leading to its demise. I'm building a second one.

I'm not sure what your looking for in this thread (just a lot of sad stories and heart breaking photos? ), but if you're looking for data on how these planes fly, I can say that the my FW flew very nicely with a Hacker B20-18L on 10 cells. It wasn't a floater by any means, but it didn't require the kind of constant attention that some warbirds do. I look forward to completing my second one, which will incorporate the retracts and Hacker from the first. I have also seen two brushless equipped Spits that both flew very nicely, and one stock equipped Spit that flew adequately, but without much punch.

Doc:

Your photos are among the most heartbreaking. If it's not too painful, can you share with us how you did that magnficent paint job, inlcuding info on the great insignia? Thanks.

Neil
Neil Morse is online now Find More Posts by Neil Morse
Old Jul 08, 2002, 07:44 PM
Colorado Spring, CO
Joined Mar 2002
37 Posts
How about a Hurricane. The rudder hinge (tape) first flight came loose.
Rod Hart is offline Find More Posts by Rod Hart
Old Jul 08, 2002, 07:45 PM
Colorado Spring, CO
Joined Mar 2002
37 Posts
After crash. It flew great once.
Old Jul 08, 2002, 07:45 PM
Colorado Spring, CO
Joined Mar 2002
37 Posts
In flight
Old Jul 08, 2002, 07:55 PM
Joined Apr 2002
2,259 Posts
Paint job: I applied a light coat of spray polyurthane to protect the foam from any paint I was going to use. I used Model Masters paint (authentic RAF colors) to paint the plane. The bottom was airbrushed the correct color and then top was sprayed completely with the grey. I then scanned and scaled up an image that shows the camo pattern...

I cut out the green area and taped the left-over pieces to the fuze (like a stencil) but I used small rolls of tape under the paper to keep it up off the surface and therefore provide for a feathered edge when spraying. Applied little free hand touch up at the end, again with the airbrush. Applied the decals and sprayed it all again with a light coat to MiniWax Polyurthane to protect the finish and decals.

I made the decals by scanning a set of 48th scale decals from Aeromaster. I saved as an enhanced metafile (.emf), reopened the file and scaled it up (emf's scale very nicely) to the correct size. I printed the images on decal paper using an inkjet printer.

The instruction page for the Aeromaster decal set is here...
http://www.eaglestrikeproductions.co...8/ad48364a.jpg
http://www.eaglestrikeproductions.co...8/ad48364b.jpg

dd.