HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2002, 11:34 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Tiger Moth on Floats DXA Power weirdness

I had my first float mishap on Sat. I had a fresh charged QC 830 pack and was positioned (CG) in the usual spot. Conditions were great with little or no wind. I went to full power and she would not take off. I tried three times to get on step and the third time she hooked a right turn and flip over nose in. I rescued it and dried it out and checked everything when I got home and nothing was damaged. So, I was wondering what went wrong? (I had 2 full packs of float flying before and was able to get airborne then) I fully charged the QC 830's until the green light then put my Whattmeter on them to check the voltage. 8.2 volts. I went ahead and reconnected the leads to the B+ and B- leads on the board to bypass the protection curcuit in flight. I then took amp readings at full throttle with the gws 9X7 and the 10X4.7 props. I got 1.7 and 1.8 respectively at full throttle. I don't have the Whattmeter for micro stuff, so it could be off a little.

I run the stock motor without a heatsink and have never noticed a problem with power before. What are the signs of a DXA motor going bad? The amps seem to be ok? Is that voltage ok on the pack?

I have 45+ flights averaging about 20 mins a flight session logged on this motor.....
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2002, 03:02 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
I'm no expert as I've only killed one DX-A motor, but it sounds like your motor may be suspect. When mine went, it was started to act like I was flying at 1/2 throttle the whole time. My Gym-E will normally stay airborne with about 1/2 throttle, but it took full to keep it aloft. I changed the motor, and voila! She was back to normal. By the way, my IPS probably had approximately the same running time on it as yours does when it died
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Jul 10, 2002, 10:44 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Yeah, that's what I thought. I am going to order a replacement motor and just for fun I am going to start using a heat sink
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus