SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 15, 2006, 12:26 AM
Rochester, NY
United States, NY, Monroe
Joined May 2004
1,880 Posts
Discussion
Electric Dude running nitro - Magnum XL .61 and Super Tigre 91 - recommendations

I've been flying Electric for a while. Some of my setups exceed 100 mph, infiniate verticle and just lots of fun. My most powerful is about 700 Watts (almost 1 HP) twin motor electric setup on a Foam 2 1/2 lb Jet that has 4 lbs of thrust and 101 mph static speed. I fly with a bunch of guys that run all electric and hang with a few buds that are Gassers. They've worn me down and now I'm real excited about running some Nitro planes. So I picked up a few larger planes. The GiantScalePlanes.com P51D Mustang 50, Lancair 360 Mk2 59" and an old 65" PT17 that weighs about 10 lbs.

The PT17 has a Super Tigre 91 - Two Stroke.
I intend to run the P51 with the Magnum XL 61 - Two stroke.
I will run an electric setup in the Lancair.

I cranked up the PT17 - Super TIgre .91 today and played with the motor some. I felt like a newbie at the hobby and it was very exciting. I have some covering to do and damage repair to the old PT17 - but it looks like it will be a gorgeous plane.

My question is - I have read some posts that it has problems at mid throttle. I have a bunch more tuning to do but think I know how to set it up properly from the manual. My reading of some posts on the Magnum shows that it might stall at Idle. I was hoping to get feedback from guys running these motors on what they think and if you have any advice ?

Thanks !
Vinnie
JustGoFly is offline Find More Posts by JustGoFly
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2006, 04:28 AM
Non-Discriminatory User
Joined Mar 2003
1,741 Posts
Well I don't have specific Magnum advice, but we got into nitro under very similar circumstances. My only advice is find a good engine man and learn everything you can. If you fully understand how nitro engines run/are tuned. I learned from a really got engine man and I give advice to folks that have been flying nitro for years it makes it much more enjoyable not fighting with frustration. The second thing is be ready for the lag, there is a slight lag in power when you apply throttle as compared to electric.
Lightnin is offline Find More Posts by Lightnin
Old Apr 16, 2006, 06:50 AM
nooobama
United States, PA, Stroudsburg
Joined May 2004
984 Posts
follow the manual. It seems that very few take the time to set up the idle setting on the carb. if set right there is very little sag between high and low. Better to run a hair rich than lean, you'll get fewer deadsticks that way from over heating. Go to 4 strokes and it will be all good.

4 strokes are like outrunners and 2 strokes are like direct drive inrunners, power wise. Fast and all out speed, 2 stroke is the way to go. 3d and torque, 4 strokes rule.

I fly about 50/50 glow to electric, glow always gets my heart going more than my electrics.
finishman2000 is offline Find More Posts by finishman2000