HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 14, 2006, 12:04 AM
Joined Sep 2002
1,051 Posts
Discussion
Where did the vendor area go to, I have a grumble...

With Tower Hobbies, of all people. I ordered a battery, props, and a couple of servos tonight, no biggie, I've used them since the 80's. Usually I like them fine. Never had a problem before.

The e-mail order confirmation comes back and they've added on a $14.99 "membership" to their "savings club", which I never asked for.

That's the thing where they send you lots of voluntary promotional postal spam and let you peek at the scratch and dent area for bargains. I have never wanted that. I KNOW I un-checked at least one box during the order process trying to sucker me into that thing by suggesting it would get me free magazines, but they must have hidden another 'opt-out ' button on the web pages somewhere during my ordering process. If you don't see it and un-check it, you get billed the fourteen bucks.

That's just dirty pool. The proper way to do such things is called "opt-IN", where you have to actively find and check a box to ASK for something to be added. Not play some hide-and seek game to uncheck automatic frills. What's next, pushing undercoating for your RC-10 cars? tsk, tsk. I wrote them back that that charge better come off in 24 hours or I'm taking my business elsewhere. Thanks to sites like RCGroups, I can find dozens of places that want my business.

Has anyone else had this little extra charge added to your bill? What did you do about it? I'll let you know how this thing resolves. What were they thinking? I was planning a couple hundred bucks worth of orders this season, and they want to risk my ire by sticking me for $14? I will wait and see what transpires, and let you know.
Aten W Arthog is offline Find More Posts by Aten W Arthog
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2006, 12:17 AM
Joined Jan 2004
1,050 Posts
To date, Tower has given me the best customer service out of all the online vendors I use. I'd be surprised if they didn't make good on the mistake.

But, if you are going to make a couple of orders of a couple hundred bucks, the free shipping will pay for the membership quickly and you may end up with a couple of goodies to boot. Right now members can get a free heat gun with an order of $150. If you needed or wanted one (or another one), it's a nice bonus.
Time Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Time Pilot
Old Apr 14, 2006, 01:06 AM
Joined Oct 2005
71 Posts
A few weeks ago I made an order that came in three days (which is good for living in Hawaii). My package hade a sticker that said "RUSH! This order belongs to a Tower Hobbies #1 super savings club member" I wasn't charged extra and my account status says i'm not a member. I lucked out I guess.
Pastulio132 is offline Find More Posts by Pastulio132
Old Apr 14, 2006, 09:46 AM
I used to be all thumbs...
United States, KS, Pittsburg
Joined Mar 2005
7,061 Posts
All the orders I get from tower have the rush sticker on them too. I've never bought the super saver membership, but I have spent OOODLES of money with them over the years between RC planes and RC cars.

I have considered becoming a member for a while now. You do get a few magazine (I think it's only a half year) and I usually have a few coming to the house anyway so I spend that money all the time. If I were to add up all the shipping I have paid in the past (just the standard, not the fast stuff) with Tower Alone, it would make $14 bucks look like a dream. Not to mention that the standard shipping with tower is very good, and usually is delivered in a few days (I've had priority packages take longer on many occasions).

I guess what I'm saying is that $14 for what you get isn't bad.

Now for a short rant!!!

I agree!! Ii IS low down, and dirty that they try to sneak it in on you. I'm in this hobby for relaxation, and nothing gets me worked up more then the ol' used care salesman approach on my past time. I know what I want, and that is why I put it in my cart. If and when I want the super saver club membership, you can bet that I will put it in my cart myself.

I despise companies that have hidden costs, and that try to slide things in behind your back. I have had great service with Tower, and I only have two complaints about them. 1. Their selection isn't what I would like it to be as an electric modeler and 2. The super saver membership that they push on you every time you turn around.

I think it could be a great program, but I don't want it pushed at me everytime I go to make a sale, or open their mailer.
NumbSkull is online now Find More Posts by NumbSkull
Old Apr 14, 2006, 09:47 AM
Joined Sep 2002
1,051 Posts
Tower e-mailed me back today to apologize, and to take the extra charge off my credit card. That was a prompt and correct response. I thank them.

I remain peeved, however, that they are using "opt-out" tricks for these things. If it's a valuable add-on, it should sell itself and not need the underhanded ploy of default order buttons. Being otherwise an exemplary company, they should set a better standard for other businesses.

I guess I will order again from them, but I will have to be extra-vigilant and scrutinize the ordering pages with suspicion, instead of confidence.
Aten W Arthog is offline Find More Posts by Aten W Arthog
Old Apr 14, 2006, 11:10 PM
Missileer Extraordinaire
Joined Jun 2001
2,046 Posts
Just sent an order in and it was on a page by itself. I just checked the "decline offer at this time" and pressed on....
Mel Duval is offline Find More Posts by Mel Duval
Old Apr 14, 2006, 11:32 PM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Mel's right. When you complete your order, you must check the "decline" box on the bottom of the page. I admit, its a little sneaky but remember, everything you buy online, always check carefully before you hit the submit button.

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old Apr 17, 2006, 05:26 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
Not just buying online but buying anywhere! Remember caveat emptor. Buyer beware. or something like that. Also, 14.99 is really $15.00 dollars minus a penny, not $14.00! Another trick companies play.
taekwondo is offline Find More Posts by taekwondo
Old Apr 17, 2006, 05:45 PM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,522 Posts
I never cliked on any opt out when I have ordered and never been charger for the super saver club.
I just got my latest order today.
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member