HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2006, 08:50 PM
United States, IN, Avon
Joined Feb 2005
182 Posts
Discussion
Good Boat for 10-20mph winds

What is a good boat for 10-20 winds that are not very expensive? How about the Mini-Soling? Also looking at the Nirvanna II but hear its not good in more than 10mph winds...I Really like the Laser but it is very expensive so Im leaning toward a Victor models kit...How difficult is the build of these? I have built two R/C planes.
vupilot is offline Find More Posts by vupilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2006, 12:07 PM
Brighto?
United States, DE, Newark
Joined Dec 2003
647 Posts
Consider that with higher winds, gusts, etc. you will have to reduce sail area to maintain control. Check http://www.amya.org for the information and clubs near you to see different boats.
Mike Denest is offline Find More Posts by Mike Denest
Old Apr 14, 2006, 12:12 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,987 Posts
Vu, I have a couple of buddies who are first time boat builders, working on 2 Victor Models Soling 1 Meters and a Victor Models America 3- Between them, their modeling experience goes from nil to a couple of airplane kits and some mechanical knowlege... they are all coming along vey well and from what I can tell, they are enjoying thier projects- The S1M looks like it will be a decent heavy air performer- I would think the mini version should work well too. I think V-M are definately worth looking into! Nice folks too!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Apr 14, 2006, 02:17 PM
United States, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Apr 2006
981 Posts
Dude, you GOTTA go with a Victor V-32. Our club (www.IndyAdmirals.org) has got almost 25 of them for a single class regatta group. You can buy them pre-made or in kit form. I did the kits. Built three of them. They are WONDERFUL...and they fit in the car easy. Go to www.victor-model.com. One of the best parts is that you can choose your sail colors. Very colorful. Great sailer with no bad habits.

I'm in both R/C Airplanes and R/C Boats BTW.

I'll be glad to help you with building questions if you go that route. I've built many planes. A V-32k is easier that most beginner airplane kits except the ARF's of course!

HelloScott@aol.com
HelloScott is offline Find More Posts by HelloScott
Old Apr 14, 2006, 03:57 PM
United States, IN, Avon
Joined Feb 2005
182 Posts
thanks for the reply scott, I'm from westfield/carmel and will ride my bike to the indy admirals regatta tomorrow to spectate with my g/f. Anyone in the club have a used one they want to sell? I also fly r/c at hamilton county/northside club and fly full scale and sail full scale.

Chris
Old Apr 14, 2006, 04:08 PM
Largo Florida
Joined Feb 2005
25 Posts
would encourage you to also look at the Soling,, sail mine in everything up to the 20+ wind speed,, very few boats offer that wind speed range without changing sails or floundering in the heavy winds,,

anything above 20mph becomes questionable as some times it can be hard to tack or jibe,, boat will still handle it but just can't always come about exactly when ya want to,,

have been out in the 25+ days and that is beyond the boats ability to do anything but sail from shore to shore tacking in the lower wind areas,, would say about a 70 degree heel at these wind speeds,,

build em right and the Soling will handle anything you want to throw at it,,

also sail a US1M,, need B rig for mid teens and C rig for 20+ wind speeds,,

enjoy,,
Tuggingafiver is offline Find More Posts by Tuggingafiver
Last edited by Tuggingafiver; Apr 18, 2006 at 03:13 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 08:37 AM
United States, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Apr 2006
981 Posts
I've heard very good things about the Soling as well. There was hot debate in our club as to whether or not to go with the Soling or the V-32 as a single class design. They decided on the V-32 due to the slightly smaller size and colorfulness. Either way, Victor boats are wonderful. I'm a fan for sure.

Here's a picture of the Soling for those of you who have not seen it.

http://www.victor-model.com/soling1m.html

Scott
HelloScott is offline Find More Posts by HelloScott
Old Apr 19, 2006, 05:30 PM
United States, IN, Avon
Joined Feb 2005
182 Posts
Yeah I think I like the looks of the Soling better but I want to be able to race so I'm going to get one of the V32's. Hope the weather is good saturday!

Chris
Old Apr 19, 2006, 05:41 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,987 Posts
Sounds like a great fleet of V32's in your area! Enjoy!!!

by the way, if you go the kit route, please do a build thread!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Apr 19, 2006, 05:45 PM
Chasing Yellow Pinkie
United States, MI, Grosse Pointe Farms
Joined May 2002
316 Posts
I would suspect that a cat rigged boat like a laser would be among the harder boats to sail in breeze. I have a bunch of fun sailing my Victoria in 20+ knots of breeze. Rig forward, lots of twist and traveler down and off you go. The key is to keep the weight aft and try not too bury the bow to much.

I sailed a Marblehead in 15-20 knots last fall and the speed of one of those is truly something to behold.

Regards,
SS
SecretSquirrel is online now Find More Posts by SecretSquirrel
Old Apr 19, 2006, 09:42 PM
United States, IN, Avon
Joined Feb 2005
182 Posts
Sure I think I can do a build thread...Ill need to find out how to post pics....lets see if this works....fingers crossed...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...d=802706&stc=1
Old Apr 19, 2006, 09:57 PM
United States, IN, Avon
Joined Feb 2005
182 Posts
second try, sorry to waste space