HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 21, 2001, 07:24 PM
Joined Jul 2001
46 Posts
They can't fly that fast...can they?

When I first heard of electric jets I thought
it said 200-300 kph is that a typo or can they realy fly that fast?
Also is there such thing as a real jet engine for model craft and if so how fast do those go?
byebyeplane is offline Find More Posts by byebyeplane
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2001, 07:55 PM
Palm City, FL
Joined Dec 2000
628 Posts
Yes they do. It's a blast to watch.

I think the current speed record for all model planes is held by a GLIDER (low drag, they just dive it a quarter-mile) somewhere around 400-500kph.

There are full turbojets (read any R/C magazines??? They're covered in just about everything.) The biggest problem they have is that the faster they go, the more efficient they are and they just keep wanting to go faster. The challenge now is to keep them throttled back enough to keep from ripping the control surfaces off them and to keep them within sight.

I live 30 miles from the Top Gun tournament in West Palm Beach and one of my friends works at GM in Ohio with Terry Nitch (3 time Top Gun champ). In his Top Gun demo, he flies out a 1/2 mile each side of runway center and can travel the full distance each way in just a few seconds!

Of course it's not cheap.... Terry's Rafale has (2) $4000 turbines that suck 2 gallons of jet fuel in an 8 minute flight. I think he said that he has about $20,000US in it.
TimOBrien is offline Find More Posts by TimOBrien
Old Jul 22, 2001, 12:00 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,249 Posts
All I can say abut that is CAJONES, senior. 20K in a model isn't my cup of tea but I sure would enjoy seeing it go - an amazing sight I'm sure.

Ed
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2001, 10:47 PM
Jimfrisky
United States, CA, Simi Valley
Joined Jan 2001
431 Posts
THERES VIDIO OF JET MEETS BEING SOLD ON E-BAY ALL THE TIME IN RC PLANE SECTION I BOUGHT ONE FAIR VIDO WORK BUT THE SUBJECT IS A BLAST JIM
JIMFRISKY is offline Find More Posts by JIMFRISKY