Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:25 AM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram View Post
Sweet. I'll check it out!

I figured I would post up the instructions for the Hots in their entirety so you can get a head start

Hots by Hance1976, on Flickr

Hots 2 by Hance1976, on Flickr

Thats the entire instruction manual might take upwards of 5 minutes to read or ten if your a little slow like Tim

I am hoping to get some video of the Superfly Twin either tonight or tomorrow night depending on the weather. Its been cold and miserable the last few days.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2012, 11:56 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,298 Posts
Don't hold your breath...
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Apr 14, 2012, 02:17 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,757 Posts
Nice 'Flea! I really like mine -- I tend to fly it more than my SF!

Hey Tram: quick question regarding motor placement.

On my Superfly, the motor shaft is pretty much IN LINE with the wing (stick mount buried in the wing), whereas on my HyperFlea, the motor is mounted ABOVE the wing on the back of the canopy.

Is there a reason that we don't mount the Hyper Flea motor LOWER so that it, too, has the shaft in-line with the wing?

I would be pretty easy to just cut away some foam under the motor and drop the firewall down a bit.

Just wonderin'.......
Flyboy Steve is offline Find More Posts by Flyboy Steve
Old Apr 14, 2012, 02:39 PM
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy Steve View Post

On my Superfly, the motor shaft is pretty much IN LINE with the wing (stick mount buried in the wing), whereas on my HyperFlea, the motor is mounted ABOVE the wing on the back of the canopy.

Is there a reason that we don't mount the Hyper Flea motor LOWER so that it, too, has the shaft in-line with the wing?

I would be pretty easy to just cut away some foam under the motor and drop the firewall down a bit.

Just wonderin'.......
I like the motors mounted low personally. It might not be true on all builds but on mine I haven't needed quite as much reflex in the elevons for level flight. Having less up trim seemed to make the planes glide a little better power off to me. Then again it could all be placebo affect.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 03:59 PM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy Steve View Post

Just wonderin'.......
Well, it's probably not what you were expecting but, motor selection and kit cost concerns at the time the HyperFlea was developed. The CF2805 was decided on and rather than increase the cost of the kit (adding the stick mount) the firewall mount that comes as part of the motor package was used and an appropriate canopy was designed. (Same with the MiniFly and TeensieFly)

When we buy the CF2805's (and CF2812's now) we get them with firewall mounts. If we want stick mounts, they cost extra. At the time, we were not using the CF2812 on the SuperFly, so we designed the HyperFlea to have the motor mount on the canopy to keep the price of the kit down ~$2.00.

If the HyperFlea were to be designed today, it would most likely have the motor on a stick and the kit would cost $2.00 more, simply because the same mount can be used on two aircraft.
Last edited by Tram; Apr 14, 2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 07:27 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,757 Posts
Commerce triumphs!

Thanks...
Flyboy Steve is offline Find More Posts by Flyboy Steve
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:13 AM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
5,694 Posts
Thrust Vector SF

I'm not sure if it's been done before -- probably has -- but here is my attempt for thrust vectoring on a SuperFly. Hope to maiden tomorrow.

Vector Thrust Superfly (0 min 19 sec)
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:28 AM
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
I'm not sure if it's been done before -- probably has -- but here is my attempt for thrust vectoring on a SuperFly. Hope to maiden tomorrow.

http://youtu.be/PMUXBI-jg0o
Looks pretty cool Scott. The differential thrust on my big one probably has a similar effect. I haven't had a chance to really dial mine in yet but it's pretty cool so far. The first time I did a stall turn I got a huge grin on my face.

Mine doing the stall turns will do the turn and then a half roll once in awhile I haven't quite figured out what makes it do that yet. It might be the prop wash hitting one of the elevons more than the other because of the difference in motor thrust but I'm not sure. Keep an eye out for the roll so it doesn't surprise you.

Edit: your shop is almost messy enough to be mine. I would feel right at home
Old Apr 15, 2012, 01:42 AM
Joined May 2009
5,694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hance View Post
Looks pretty cool Scott. The differential thrust on my big one probably has a similar effect. I haven't had a chance to really dial mine in yet but it's pretty cool so far. The first time I did a stall turn I got a huge grin on my face.

Mine doing the stall turns will do the turn and then a half roll once in awhile I haven't quite figured out what makes it do that yet. It might be the prop wash hitting one of the elevons more than the other because of the difference in motor thrust but I'm not sure. Keep an eye out for the roll so it doesn't surprise you.

Edit: your shop is almost messy enough to be mine. I would feel right at home
Shop? That's the living room. (jk) but it's where I live.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:14 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Way to go Scott, very cool indeed.
You plan a flight video?

TRAM, re Stick mount on Mini and Hyper
Now you tell us! lol
I have some of those nylon mounts here. That's all I need? Would it need shortening?
Don't plan to do it now but if a canopy mishap occurs...

Also,
Would it be conceivable to add a center section to the smaller planes?
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Last edited by IFlyRCs; Apr 15, 2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 06:14 PM
Joined May 2009
5,694 Posts
Dumbfounded -- Thrust Vector sux

I was dumb-struck when I flew the thrust vectored Superfly today. The thrust vectored motor had no discernible yaw effect, except to reduce flight stability. I started conservative -- and when nothing happened I cranked it up all the way- no effect -- EXCEPT it MIGHT have reduced altitude loss in roll over turns a bit -- but a very little bit!

All of us at the field were pretty surprised. I heard two explanations that make some sense. 1. the prop is too near the yaw pivot point for it to have effect due to too small moment arm. 2. the fins are channeling the air thus negating the thrust vector.
In any event -- it just didn't have any yaw effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
Way to go Scott, very cool indeed.
You plan a flight video?

TRAM, re Stick mount on Mini and Hyper
Now you tell us! lol
I have some of those nylon mounts here. That's all I need? Would it need shortening?
Don't plan to do it now but if a canopy mishap occurs...

Also,
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2012, 06:26 PM
I'm overcoming gravity!
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
3,809 Posts
Quote:
I was dumb-struck when I flew the thrust vectored Superfly today. The thrust vectored motor had no discernible yaw effect, except to reduce flight stability. I started conservative -- and when nothing happened I cranked it up all the way- no effect -- EXCEPT it MIGHT have reduced altitude loss in roll over turns a bit -- but a very little bit!

All of us at the field were pretty surprised. I heard two explanations that make some sense. 1. the prop is too near the yaw pivot point for it to have effect due to too small moment arm. 2. the fins are channeling the air thus negating the thrust vector.
In any event -- it just didn't have any yaw effect.
That's a shame. I hate it when I spend a lot of time engineering something and it doesn't work as planned.
Are your vertical stabs (fins) hot-glued in place? If so, you can use rubbing alcohol to remove them and then try some wingtip mounted verticals.
Murman is offline Find More Posts by Murman
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:09 PM
Joined May 2009
5,694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murman View Post
That's a shame. I hate it when I spend a lot of time engineering something and it doesn't work as planned.
Are your vertical stabs (fins) hot-glued in place? If so, you can use rubbing alcohol to remove them and then try some wingtip mounted verticals.
Ya, the alcohol thing would work if I didn't drink it before it made it to the plane. {kidding} Ya they are hot glued -- but I've been drawing pictures with lever arms and doing some geometry and physics -- and I think it's do to not enough lever arm rather than the fins. Probably truth be known -- both are factors. I think I'll go for duel rudders instead.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:35 PM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
Sure. It has been done and can be done again..

Quote:
1. the prop is too near the yaw pivot point for it to have effect due to too small moment arm.
You're attempting to rotate essentially right on the CG, no real leverage for yaw. Move the motor to the trailing edge and try it again.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...mentid=2139919
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:29 AM
Joined May 2009
5,694 Posts
O now that is just nucking futz!
RCG Plus Member