HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2006, 11:09 AM
Glendale AZ
Joined Sep 2005
373 Posts
Discussion
"Ultrafly Cessna" went one way and wing went the other

Well, after being in this hobby for less than a year and not crashing for a few months, I mean not even a nose over while landing, doing very low passes, touch and goes, loops just simple stuff and fun for me while I try to improve my skills.................................Yeasterday I was in my pattern to come in for a landing about 50' agl and watched the wing on my Cessna fly off (kinda float off actually) and the rest of the plane drop like a rock! You know it's funny cause I actually pulled back on the stick for up elevator Anyway, thought you'd enjoy this. I alway's pre-fligt of course and use bands not the bolt on the wing....I will definately be using 4 bands not 2 in the future...........here's a pic.....mabe a prayer is in order..........

[IMG][/IMG]
2MuchAir is offline Find More Posts by 2MuchAir
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2006, 12:21 PM
JustFlying
Joined Dec 2005
2,429 Posts
Eina! Is the motor and electronincs OK?
rebell is offline Find More Posts by rebell
Old Apr 13, 2006, 01:16 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,776 Posts
Anyone have a good wing for sale that fits one of those planes. I have been looking for... (read: just kidding)

Looks like it will take to the air again after a couple hours of surgery. Also, I heard that the GWS glue works really good if you leave it sit overnight.
rampman is online now Find More Posts by rampman
Old Apr 13, 2006, 01:18 PM
Juan Alvarado
Houston, TX
Joined Mar 2005
50 Posts
Well, that hurts to look at but I'm sure some will say it's fixable. At the very least you can order a new fuse, but maybe it's time to move on.

On my Cessna I still use the bolt. Main problem seems to be that when it crashes the anchor on the front of the wing tears off, taking with it a chunk of foam. This is easy to epoxy back on and ends up with a stronger joint. But I'm pretty sure the wing will not come off in mid-flight
jcalvarado is offline Find More Posts by jcalvarado
Old Apr 13, 2006, 02:52 PM
Glendale AZ
Joined Sep 2005
373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalvarado
Well, that hurts to look at but I'm sure some will say it's fixable. At the very least you can order a new fuse, but maybe it's time to move on.

On my Cessna I still use the bolt. Main problem seems to be that when it crashes the anchor on the front of the wing tears off, taking with it a chunk of foam. This is easy to epoxy back on and ends up with a stronger joint. But I'm pretty sure the wing will not come off in mid-flight
Well....I will never "move on" not quite sure what you mean...I love this plane! I do have a few others (Stearman, SS Yak etc) with the "e-flight 480 outrunner" this ultrafly screams and is a blast to fly....3-cell of course....I don't bolt the wing cause I used to cash....now I will use 2 or 3 bands on each side for reasurance.....I will put a few pics on in the next few hours of the final fix...........I'm gett'n kinda good at the fixing stuff and actually like making a plane air-worthy again.....
Old Apr 13, 2006, 02:55 PM
Joined Jun 2005
87 Posts
similar thing happened to my formosa. except i forgot to put the antenna up on my trans. plane got about 60 feet out and i wondered why it did a nose in. d'oh!!!!. glue the fuse back together and flew fine.
wrong is offline Find More Posts by wrong
Old Apr 13, 2006, 02:58 PM
Glendale AZ
Joined Sep 2005
373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampman
Anyone have a good wing for sale that fits one of those planes. I have been looking for... (read: just kidding)

Looks like it will take to the air again after a couple hours of surgery. Also, I heard that the GWS glue works really good if you leave it sit overnight.
I gaurantee my favorite plane will be ready to fly tomorrow.......And YES....I have an extra wing still in plastic in front of me BTW the wing that came off in flight is still in great shape with both servo's for the airelons perfect condition....
Old Apr 13, 2006, 05:27 PM
Glendale AZ
Joined Sep 2005
373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrong
similar thing happened to my formosa. except i forgot to put the antenna up on my trans. plane got about 60 feet out and i wondered why it did a nose in. d'oh!!!!. glue the fuse back together and flew fine.
We have all done that! I'm the first to admit it....the other day I put my TX (not my Spectrum ) in the back of my open van and my Stearman just startd taxy'n around in circles at a slow iddle.....Ooops......
Old Apr 13, 2006, 08:23 PM
Glendale AZ
Joined Sep 2005
373 Posts
Progress so far.......

She's not beautiful but............The work I've done so far has made me comfortable about the outcome.....And I gaurantee she will fly...if not pretty, she will stll fly great..............Thats all that counts......I quit trying to keep my planes pretty a long time ago......If they fly great ...I'm Great! ......here is the fuse fix................................

[IMG][/IMG]
Old Apr 14, 2006, 10:31 PM
Glendale AZ
Joined Sep 2005
373 Posts
Final outcome............

And now I will stop...but I wonder if posts like this could help nub's in the beginner area realize that planes can be fixed even after my wing left town....I mean my Cessna was trashed! and I saved $90.00 on a new one by taking my time...... and I did have much help from a friend whoe gave me some pointers on foam repairs etc...........guess she needs some filler and some paint cause she's gett'n alittle dirty......but that will happen.....Thanx 4 listening................

[IMG][/IMG]
Old Apr 15, 2006, 12:58 AM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,983 Posts
2,Air,
Man, that's horrible you had to go through a lesson like that, but believe it or not, that's a common mistake. I can't tell you how many new guys would show up at the flying flield (nitro) with .40 sized planes and the wings held on by 4 rubber bands! I know it's after the fact now, but like you said, maybe some other new guys can learn through watching the mishaps of others. Sad, but somebody HAS to teach them, right? You were a great volunteer!!!
Seriously, it is always important to use enough bands on a plane to do the job. 2 is never enough for any plane. Bands, break, rot, slip, etc and you need to make sure the wings stay on those birds!
Great lesson there 2Air. Guys, be warned! Don't skimp on safety.
Ken
BTW, you did an awsome rebuild considering the damage. I agree, she'll fly like new. I hope you didn't have to add too much weight during the repairs.
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member