HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 05, 2006, 09:08 PM
No slope for richardo
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2005
2,166 Posts
Dude, can that be done w/in the rules? There's a lot of room in those wings, you would think that you could make it pretty darn light w/ a Helium system. Tough part would be getting it in there and sealing the leaks .
Endless Sloper is online now Find More Posts by Endless Sloper
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2006, 09:27 PM
No drugs to fly high
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jan 2004
764 Posts
As a rule of thumb:

1 cubic meter of helium, lifts 1 kilogram.

1 cubic meter of hydrogren, lifts 1.1 kilogram. <-- funny thought, 1 crash and boom! like the zeplin.

1 cubic meter of "hot air", lifts 0.3 kilogram.

Seeing the small volume within the wings, I you might lighten up the whole plane by 1 or 2 grams.
oracle_9 is offline Find More Posts by oracle_9
Old May 05, 2006, 09:36 PM
No slope for richardo
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2005
2,166 Posts
ahhh, interesting tho. @ What temperature are those measurents for? 20c? Would be funny to see one lift up like a balloon .
Old May 05, 2006, 11:32 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Sloper
You seriously need a T-shirt w/ the product and web address on it for each plane so people can read it and let you fly.
T-shirts, golf shirts and sweat shirts available here (at no profit to myself): http://www.cafepress.com/wrightbrosrc

Web address included of course!

P.S. I like what you guys are doing with the logos on the scrap wood. Very nice. I included them for just such a reason. I knew the more creative people would find a use for those logos
Allan Wright is offline Find More Posts by Allan Wright
Old May 08, 2006, 06:26 PM
I fly low, I'm in high demand
Smithtown, NY
Joined Jul 2003
848 Posts
Lost a few days on my build because of lack of a can of spray adhesive for glassing the fuse. Finally picked up a can of 3m 77 today. Any tips on using it to attach the glass before epoxying?
birdman11787 is offline Find More Posts by birdman11787
Old May 08, 2006, 09:04 PM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
Birdman,
Your photos are fine and just in time for my wing covering. Great ideas on the blue panel and your use of the supplied laser art. Thanks! I've finished the fuse and lightly sprayed the glass with M77 with glass laying on waxpaper. Had no problems. This thread is nothing like the last one. Few photos and no flight reports. Oh well!
John

P.S.
I thinned the 30 min epoxy by warming the parts to about 85~90 deg before mixing. This allowed it to go on easy with a small brush then light squeege then light paper towel. Came out very strong and cost only 3g. as indicated in instructions. Hardest part was getting started.
John255 is offline Find More Posts by John255
Last edited by John255; May 08, 2006 at 09:09 PM. Reason: add info
Old May 09, 2006, 02:59 PM
United States, CA, Davis
Joined Sep 2004
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle_9
As a rule of thumb:

1 cubic meter of helium, lifts 1 kilogram.

1 cubic meter of hydrogren, lifts 1.1 kilogram. <-- funny thought, 1 crash and boom! like the zeplin.

1 cubic meter of "hot air", lifts 0.3 kilogram.

Seeing the small volume within the wings, I you might lighten up the whole plane by 1 or 2 grams.
Optimize, optimize. Skip the gases. Helium and hydrogen still add weight. Instead, include thru holes in all internal parts, seal up the entire wing, put a vacuum port on the center section with an isolation valve and suck out all the air with a vacuum pump.

Voila!

You've saved, uh, nearly 3 grams. (<---- can you say, "I'm underwhelmed?")

Then, about a quarter of a second later all the leaks will let the pressure equalize.

Don't get me started about what all that vacuum would do to the shape of the covering.

Fun stuff!
Chachi639 is offline Find More Posts by Chachi639
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Graham1234 Planes
Old May 10, 2006, 12:12 PM
Joined Nov 2003
1,308 Posts
Flight results?

Any data on launch height and dead air time for the new AG?
Thanks,
Ray
kostuk is offline Find More Posts by kostuk
Old May 10, 2006, 02:55 PM
High Roller designer
Londonderry NH
Joined Mar 2005
1,414 Posts
kostuk No not yet it's been crappy and windy or both pretty much for a month.....Impact
Impact is offline Find More Posts by Impact
Old May 11, 2006, 12:02 AM
Smithtown, NY
Joined Jul 2003
848 Posts
i here ya, this rain has just been hangin here ......... and for many more days according to the forcast!
Old May 12, 2006, 10:49 PM
Smithtown, NY
Joined Jul 2003
848 Posts
Ok.... no pictures but made some progress today with the rain pouring down. Fuse has been glassed and covered, vertical glued in place and covered. I'd give myself a seven out of ten on the glass job. I think I took too much time after spraying with the 77 and maybe sprayed it a little to light. on a side note, I'm signed up for the polecat challenge and intended on flying a longshot i recently completed. I was always a res guy years ago and to be honest, i have been a little overwhelmed by the longshot. I have to add that i have also been amazed by the performance at the same time. Anyway, with where I am at (complete dlg newbie), I am thinking that maybe the gambler is what i'll end up flying there. Maybe pictures and a maiden next week (if the sun ever comes back out here in the northeast.)
john
Old May 12, 2006, 11:23 PM
High Roller designer
Londonderry NH
Joined Mar 2005
1,414 Posts
Great, I also am looking forward to some nice weather.....Impact
Old May 15, 2006, 01:29 AM
No slope for richardo
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2005
2,166 Posts
WHHHOOOooo HOOOO!!! Got my Gambler for my B-Day today, after mom headed out the GF brought out the presents . Pics manana!!
Old May 15, 2006, 06:55 AM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,185 Posts
Enjoy, I'm glad it got there in time. (oh and I knew the whole time MUHAHAHA!)
Allan Wright is offline Find More Posts by Allan Wright
Old May 15, 2006, 12:03 PM
High Roller designer
Londonderry NH
Joined Mar 2005
1,414 Posts
Quote:
Endless Sloper WHHHOOOooo HOOOO!!! Got my Gambler for my B-Day today
lucky you.... For the rest of us in the northeast we need floats for our AG-G+, I think we have had 6+ inches of rain in the past 2 days.......Impact