HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:38 PM
Joined Apr 2003
454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister782 View Post
if you had to do it all over again would you.....
cover pod with monocoat or paint?
I've done two pods now, both done in light fiberglass with West systems epoxy. I like them. But friends have also done the film covering -- I'm not exactly sure which coverings were used, but one of them I know was a "lite" version that was not Ultracote lite.

Either way, the results have been fine. I don't see that either holds an overall advantage over the other.

Pick what you think you'll do faster and easier, and run with it!
buzzfly is online now Find More Posts by buzzfly
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:35 PM
Enjoying the nice weather
Akron, Ohio
Joined May 2008
1,650 Posts
ok heres my update...
I screwed up.... but I can fix it..... i used the 30min epoxy heated up and brushed it on over the cloth. and wiped most of it off. still a little tacky. wants it sets up i will sand it and lightly airbrush some color on it. now i think i am going to attempt the center wing panel.
twister782 is offline Find More Posts by twister782
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:37 PM
Enjoying the nice weather
Akron, Ohio
Joined May 2008
1,650 Posts
things are rolling along... i will post some pics before i cover the wing
twister782 is offline Find More Posts by twister782
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:40 PM
Ed White
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Feb 2007
882 Posts
Put my trusty Gambler back together this week.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1015
It went in a few years ago, and sat on the back burner for a while.
Still at 6.3 oz and flies great.
I have a question about throwing force.
I have Stobels and Polaris and throw with all my might...Still do not get real high....150-175'.
Can I throw my Gambler as hard??
I want to compete in a contest Friday at San Falasco for small DLG's, and I want to throw it as hard as I can....but do not want to break it.
Any comments would be helpful.
Thanks,
Ed
fruitguy is online now Find More Posts by fruitguy
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:43 AM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,185 Posts
Throwing a Gambler vs. Throwing a Stobels is similar to the difference between throwing a wiffle ball and a baseball. With the Gambler it's not how hard that matters but how quickly. There is a point of dimishing returns with the Gambler due to weight and wind resistance. 85' is about all you'll get no matter how hard you throw the damned thing.

All that said, I also throw 1.5-meter composites and I throw my Gambler pretty damned hard. Can you break one with a very hard throw? I suppose you could, but you'd be WAY beyond usefull effort launch wise. My recommendation, keep throwing harder until it stops going any higher. The Gambler will take all you can give it that's worth putting into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitguy View Post
Put my trusty Gambler back together this week.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1015
It went in a few years ago, and sat on the back burner for a while.
Still at 6.3 oz and flies great.
I have a question about throwing force.
I have Stobels and Polaris and throw with all my might...Still do not get real high....150-175'.
Can I throw my Gambler as hard??
I want to compete in a contest Friday at San Falasco for small DLG's, and I want to throw it as hard as I can....but do not want to break it.
Thanks,
Ed
Allan Wright is offline Find More Posts by Allan Wright
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:21 AM
Ed White
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Feb 2007
882 Posts
Allan
Thanks!!!!
Ed
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:39 AM
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Nov 2004
196 Posts
Ed I look forward to flying against you in the Half-pint contest on Friday! I will be flying my Dave Forbes Sparrow Hawk

Robin
rhoon is online now Find More Posts by rhoon
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:05 AM
Ed White
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Feb 2007
882 Posts
That particular event will be my .....
Relax and have fun time.
As Alan explianed, I ain't gonna throw no 150'
like the Hawk.
I think Dave should have two classes
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:21 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,185 Posts
Denni Maize ran 2 classes at Polecat for 3 years. Unlimited for all the big boys and 'limited' for the smaller planes. Limited restrictions were 50" span, no vacuum bagged or hollow molded ships or 40" span no materials limitations. Worked well. Mostly kept it to Gambler, Fling, DL-50, Quick Flick and all of the foam planks.

Unfortunately we never got more than 4 pilots so running it became too much work. I still applaud Denny for trying to support the emerging class. I competed in that class every year Denny had it. I have a bunch of 2nd and 3rd place trophies from it.....3rd out of 3 pilots.....was humbling. At least the guys that beat me were also flying Gamblers!

Oh, the limited guys flew all the same tasks as the unlimited and in the same flight groups, they just scored separately. Several times the 60" umited guys thanke me for indicating the feeders for them.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:52 PM
Joined Apr 2003
454 Posts
Quote:
Thanks,
Ed
Ed,

I've broken my Gambler a couple of times on launch -- once ripping out the tailboom support, and the other time, ripping the wing off.

After both repairs, I had concerns about its durability. Also from the time that I built it, to about a year ago, I improved the strength of my throws quite a bit, adding additional concern over the life of my little plane.

So I threw it, and then threw it harder, and then threw it harder still. It took it all.

Finally, I decided that since I had a new kit in my stockpile that I would give it my entire effort to break the old Gambler on launch. (I'm launching my 1.5m moldies in the 160 to 200 foot range now). I have tried and tried to break that plane on launch and haven't been able to do it since I made my earlier repairs.

Long story made short -- if it's well built (or rebuilt), I don't think that you can break that plane with a launch.

Grip it and rip it!!

-- Mark
buzzfly is online now Find More Posts by buzzfly
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:05 AM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,185 Posts
Most failures come from bad launch technique - mainly tip strikes with the ground on the outside wing tip.

Your boom pulling out sounds like it may not have been glued in well enough.

Your experience with your repaired plane matches my own.

I 'blew up' the first 20+ gamblers I built trying to get a design that could handle strong launches. Some of them were spectacular!
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:30 PM
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Jun 2012
152 Posts
I have read many times in this thread about which film covering is best. That said, I can not find it now. Can you guys give me some guidance on the pros and cons of the various films. I bought my Gambler in August and am finishing up a project now then I will build it. I wanted to get the same film for both planes.

I can get Microlight at the LHS which I would prefer if it is equivalent to others available, but since I am ordering it ahead I could wait and get something else. I am planning to do full weight monokoat over glass and CF on the pod.
Fickle flier is offline Find More Posts by Fickle flier
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:33 PM
It's a mere flesh wound!
Woodstock,Ga.
Joined Jun 2004
1,112 Posts
When I built my Gambler, I was afraid that the boom would open up the rear of the fuselage on a hard launch. So...I wrapped the rear of the fuselage with Kevlar thread. I notched the top of the fuselage where the thread was so it wouldn't hold up the rear of the wing and change the incidence. (see the picture of the fuselage in the link below)
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1086

It's been flying for more than 5 years with no damage to the fuselage. I've let more than 40 people fly it and most of these people can launch a lot harder than I can. It has hit the ground pretty hard many times without any damage even though I didn't glass the pod.

Buddy
Buddy Roos is online now Find More Posts by Buddy Roos
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:44 PM
Ed White
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Feb 2007
882 Posts
Buddy,
You gonna fly it Friday?
Ed
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:28 PM
It's a mere flesh wound!
Woodstock,Ga.
Joined Jun 2004
1,112 Posts
Quote:
Buddy,
You gonna fly it Friday?
Ed
I'll be flying my David Forbe's SparrowHawk as I did last year!

I use my GamblerAG to introduce new people to DLGs. Most of the 40 guys I have let fly it were either power plane or sailplane flyers that had never flown a DLG. At least 10 of them started flying DLGs after flying my GamblerAG!

Buddy
Buddy Roos is online now Find More Posts by Buddy Roos
RCG Plus Member