Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:27 AM
Joined Apr 2003
466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigli View Post
Hi
One question about putting carbon on down side of trailing edge (as manual said)
Which glue You use for this: CA or epoxy.
Trailing edge is light balsa. I think it is possible carbon to deform (curve) balsa trailing edge if not put clean.
thanks
boris
Boris,

you can use either CA or epoxy to lay down the carbon tow. I doubt that you'll deform the trailing edge in applying the carbon -- just be patient when working it out. I wear a pair of nylon gloves and wet out the tow with my fingers, using CA. If the gloves get too sticky, it's a quick thing to pop them off and put on a new pair. Harbor Freight has these gloves for a cheap price, I think $5 for 100 gloves.

If you use epoxy, then you can lay out the carbon tow on a sheet of wax paper, wet it out there, blot it, and then transfer it to the wing.

-- Mark
buzzfly is offline Find More Posts by buzzfly
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:02 AM
Joined Sep 2012
22 Posts
Gambler Covering Question...

All,

I completed the fuselage last evening, and have a question regarding covering with the FG cloth and Ultra C.

I have the access covers taped on, but not quite sure how to proceed. Do I tack on the hatches with a bit of CA, then apply the FG as one piece? Once covereed with the FG and it dries, do cut open the hatches and cover the Fuse and access covers seperatly with Ultra C? I am sure there is a simple way to do this, just wanted to make it as clean of a job as possible.

Thanks so much!

Regards,
Chris
ChristopherDavis is offline Find More Posts by ChristopherDavis
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:12 AM
Joined Apr 2003
466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherDavis View Post
All,

Do I tack on the hatches with a bit of CA, then apply the FG as one piece? Once covereed with the FG and it dries, do cut open the hatches and cover the Fuse and access covers seperatly with Ultra C?

Regards,
Chris
Chris,

I recommend fiberglassing and covering the fuse separate from the hatches. It's much easier than glassing as one piece and separating later. And for what it's worth, I only glassed my Gambler -- No additional covering on the fuse. It's plenty strong with just the glass on it, and has taken quite a beating over the last two years.

-- Mark
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:15 AM
Joined Sep 2012
22 Posts
Thanks Mark, that does make the most sense!

Regards,
Chris
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:27 AM
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Nov 2011
770 Posts
As i recall, spray it with a very light coat of 3m77 adhesive, lay it down flat, and soak it with thin CA.
TScott1118 is online now Find More Posts by TScott1118
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:38 AM
Joined Sep 2012
22 Posts
I picked up some resin to use for the FG. Regarding additional covering, I orderd some Ultracote that looks like carbon fiber. I thought that might look really cool. We shall see!

Chris
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:43 AM
Joined Apr 2010
630 Posts
Thanks Mark
Is there any airfoil "deforming" when putting one layer of carbon
on the top of the spar,
on the bottom of the spar and
on the bottom of the training edge?
Or that layer is very thin?
thx
vigli is offline Find More Posts by vigli
Last edited by vigli; Oct 28, 2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:16 PM
Joined Apr 2003
466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigli View Post
Thanks Mark
Is there any airfoil "deforming" when putting one layer of carbon
on the top of the spar,
on the bottom of the spar and
on the bottom of the training edge?
Or that layer is very thin?
thx
There should be no problem or deformation of the airfoil with the application of the carbon tow to the spars (top and bottom) or the TE.

Be patient in the application and you'll be fine.

If you use CA, make sure to do it in a well ventilated area, and use fresh CA.

It's fairly easy.

Tom, thanks for chiming in with your input as well -- we need to go flying together soon! Maybe over Thanksgiving?

-- Mark
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:48 PM
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Nov 2011
770 Posts
Sounds good. We'll take our Gamblers out and try to spec out our transmitters!
TScott1118 is online now Find More Posts by TScott1118
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:36 AM
Joined Apr 2010
630 Posts
Thank a lot
vigli is offline Find More Posts by vigli
Old Nov 04, 2012, 03:27 PM
Joined May 2000
32 Posts
now its a wing

I finally got the carbon fiber on the wing today. Now it is really a gambler wing. Now if only i could find a good lightweight covering in PINK!
gwenbeth is offline Find More Posts by gwenbeth
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:20 PM
It's a mere flesh wound!
Woodstock,Ga.
Joined Jun 2004
1,120 Posts
Try Oracover Transparent Flourescent Red. It is about as Pink as you can get!

I covered a panel on my AVA with that covering so I could tell my AVA from all the others in the thermals in RES contests. I got so much ribbing from my friends about my Pink plane that I removed it and recovered the panel with Ultracote Transparent Flourescent Red which IS NOT Pink!

You can see the recovered panel in my avatar picture.

Buddy
Buddy Roos is online now Find More Posts by Buddy Roos
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:22 PM
Playing R/C lawn darts...
United States, WA, Marysville
Joined Nov 2003
155 Posts
Hello all,

I just wanted to take a minute and share some pictures if my build so far. I decided I had to tinker with the design. No way a could prevent it. I seem to do I to every model I build. I enjoyed the build. But it has reminded me that I really suck at building with balsa!

I will have to do a new wing at some point. I introduced a hell of a twist into the wing when I applied the carbon tow. I hope that I can correct this with tension from the covering.

I made the horizontal stab removable since I want to be able to put this model in a travel box at some point. Oh, and I'm also running spring/string on both the elevator and the rudder. I ended up running the strin on the exterior of the boom due to the fact that I did not want to cut or drill the boom. I also changed up the planform of the tails. I built them to resemble the Swindell tails. They are 1/16" balsa laminated with 1/2oz fiberglass with carbon tow reinforcement.

I'm also very happy with my string to servo solution. I know I'm not the first to do it, but I have not seen it before. I used .019" wire to capture the end of the pull strings and have them running through the included pushrod clevis.

Spinnaker is offline Find More Posts by Spinnaker
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:46 PM
Joined May 2000
32 Posts
Almost ready

Got the wing covered and only need to put the electronics in to be ready to try it
gwenbeth is offline Find More Posts by gwenbeth
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:00 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,450 Posts
Very nice Gwenth!

Curtis
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member