HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 24, 2012, 05:25 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,192 Posts
Imagine my surprise when I opened up the May 2012 edition of the AMA Model Aviation magazine when on Page 15 I saw a photo of Abel Tolpin holding a Gambler!

It's always exciting seeing the Gambler in print.

For non-AMA members, the magazine is available on the AMA website here: http://www.modelaviation.com/images/covers/MAY2012.pdf
Allan Wright is offline Find More Posts by Allan Wright
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:19 PM
United States, PA, Erie
Joined Jun 2006
89 Posts
I just got the ol' Gambler up in the air for the first time this year! So much fun!

After a few hundred flights last summer, it was time to rebuild the tail section. Now it's better than ever!!!!

Completely dead air tonight with no lift whatsoever and not a flight over 45 seconds, still had a blast!

JimO
Erie, PA
jyymbo is offline Find More Posts by jyymbo
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:03 PM
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Nov 2011
1,098 Posts
Allan, I saw that photo too. Looked like a happy kid.
TScott1118 is online now Find More Posts by TScott1118
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:32 AM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,192 Posts
Every year I say I should build a new one, then I fly the heck out of my two old ones all summer long!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyymbo View Post
I just got the ol' Gambler up in the air for the first time this year! So much fun!

After a few hundred flights last summer, it was time to rebuild the tail section. Now it's better than ever!!!!

Completely dead air tonight with no lift whatsoever and not a flight over 45 seconds, still had a blast!

JimO
Erie, PA
Old Jul 11, 2012, 01:07 AM
Newcastle, WA, USA
Joined Apr 2009
19 Posts
vertical stab not quite vertical

I just glued the vertical stab to the boom. Unfortunately it's not quite vertical (not quite perpendicular to the wing). I haven't glued the horizontal stab yet.

Is this going to make it difficult to launch?

Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Any suggestions on positioning the H stab? Parallel to wing? Perpendicular to V stab? Somewhere inbetween?
xcskier is offline Find More Posts by xcskier
Old Jul 11, 2012, 08:05 AM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,192 Posts
mount the horizontal parallel to the wing. Live with the vertical being a touch off. Depending on the amount you're off you might not even notice much of a difference.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:14 AM
Seattle, WA
Joined Apr 2006
1,167 Posts
My personal best

Had a wonderful 36min and 19sec flight last weekend. My previous best was 9min, so I was stoked. This was strictly thermal flying. This is such a nice flying glider!
flynfrfun is offline Find More Posts by flynfrfun
Old Jul 11, 2012, 01:37 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,192 Posts
Those are always great fun!
Old Aug 03, 2012, 07:12 PM
Joined Jan 2011
81 Posts
I think my Gambler kit is missing a few parts.

I received 2 3/16th sheets, a small one with the wing tips and a much bigger one with the spars and TEs.

I was confused in the plans when in step 9 it told me to remove the D shaped pieces from the 3/32 sheet. I assumed that this was a typo, since there were no 3/32 sheets included. Even so, I couldn't find the pieces. After looking online a bit, I found Impact's image of his kit in the first post.

On the bottom sheet, it shows the D shaped pieces. However on my sheet, that part is left uncut.

If you're wondering, the corner I cut out was for the canopy reinforcer piece, which I couldn't find.

What should I do? This is the first kit I've built
pia32 is offline Find More Posts by pia32
Old Aug 03, 2012, 07:27 PM
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,146 Posts
Yup- looks like a laser typo-error. Although those are the pieces for the nose block if I remember correctly. Shouldn't be too hard to cut them out by hand from the stock that's there since it's not a really complicated part and has to be sanded down to size anyway after you glue them up.

Rick
2400RDR is online now Find More Posts by 2400RDR
Old Aug 06, 2012, 08:52 AM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,192 Posts
YIKES!

This was my mistake! I somehow included the 3/16" sheet that's designed for the wing replacement kits. That sheet of course doesn't have the fuselage parts on it.

Send me an email at my website, or PM me your address and I'll drop the missing parts in the mail to you tonight.

My apology. I must have been drunk when I made that kit. That's my excuse. Patent stupidity couldn't possibly be it....wait I don't drink when running the laser. I guess stupidity is all I got.

Oh, and your right. For some reason I always call 3/16" sheets 3/32". I guess I need to find that last typo in the instructions.

Sorry,
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pia32 View Post
I think my Gambler kit is missing a few parts.

I received 2 3/16th sheets, a small one with the wing tips and a much bigger one with the spars and TEs.

I was confused in the plans when in step 9 it told me to remove the D shaped pieces from the 3/32 sheet. I assumed that this was a typo, since there were no 3/32 sheets included. Even so, I couldn't find the pieces. After looking online a bit, I found Impact's image of his kit in the first post.

On the bottom sheet, it shows the D shaped pieces. However on my sheet, that part is left uncut.

If you're wondering, the corner I cut out was for the canopy reinforcer piece, which I couldn't find.

What should I do? This is the first kit I've built
Old Aug 08, 2012, 09:53 PM
Joined Jan 2011
81 Posts
Its ok

I just built a nosecone block out of the remaining 3/16 wood and sanded it down
pia32 is offline Find More Posts by pia32
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:28 AM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,192 Posts
If you find anything else missing let me know. I'm going to review the parts in all my remaining kits from that batch. Thanks for letting me know.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 06:31 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,192 Posts
Adding this info for a customer (thanks Dave) who just called about batteries.

Radical R/C's part number for this pack is SKU # RRC04H0400S

Radical RC 400mah NiMH 4-2/3 AAA Cell 4.8V Square RX Pack

2/3 AAA RRC-NIMH. 4.8V Square RX pack. This size not available in Sanyo brand. VERY popular 1/2 A, HLG pack, Combat and other weight and size critical applicatons. This cell is great in E-flight and has proven to be a great Receiver pack as well. LESS weight than 110 Nicad!!!! Weight 29.8g/1.05 oz.

Suggested charge rate non-peak detecting 40mah or less, peak detecting 200-800mah.

Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:52 PM
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Nov 2011
1,098 Posts
I had an interesting event this afternoon while flying my e-Gambler.
I was at the school down the street and lost orientation while flying. Shouldn't have made the top of the wing look just like the bottom, but oh well. The plane was between the barracks and the school building and it went straight in from about 50+ feet.
I didn't see it hit, but it made a terrible sound when it hit the dirt. I was certain it would be in a million pieces.
Well, long story made short, it was still in one piece. Not just that, but with the exception on a pebble embedded in the balsa nose, it was fine. I continued to fly. Man this thing is durable - either that or I'm really lucky. Maybe a little of both.
TScott1118 is online now Find More Posts by TScott1118