SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 08, 2011, 09:20 PM
Nothing Special
Middletown, CT
Joined Dec 2003
272 Posts
fuel,

Presuming you are right handed and your plane is rolling left, you are releasing way too late. Before you throw it, look where you want it to go the don't take you eyes off that spot during your launch and you will instinctively put it there. Don't try to put the coals to it, just give a smooth swing and you will be stunned about the altitude you get. After you get the timing down, give her all she's got! As far as the elevator is concerned, you should only need just a touch of down at the very top just as all the airspeed is almost totally bleed off. Time it right and it will just sort of park up there.
grouch is offline Find More Posts by grouch
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2011, 06:42 PM
United States, TN, Clinton
Joined Sep 2004
30 Posts
Thanks for the help. You guys make it sound real easy. I will try to release way earlier, makes sense if you think about it. Do you guys use neutral elevator, during the launch, then down elevator to nose over at top of launch, then up elev. based on cruise, speed or thermal?

F4F
fly4fuel is offline Find More Posts by fly4fuel
Old Aug 11, 2011, 03:30 AM
USA, OR, Carlton
Joined Aug 2009
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4fuel View Post
<..> Do you guys use neutral elevator, during the launch, then down elevator to nose over at top of launch, then up elev. based on cruise, speed or thermal?

F4F
Yes - I use a 3-position flap switch for elevator settings. One position is for launch/fast cruise, one for (what I hope is) best glide, one for minimum sink.

Martin
baumerm is offline Find More Posts by baumerm
Old Sep 13, 2011, 04:30 PM
United States, NJ, Riverton
Joined Jun 2006
3 Posts
So after having my Gambler for 5 years (maybe longer?) the boom was shattered. This was my go to plane, when all the others were being repaired or whatever, can't say enough good things about the design and the plane.
I'd like to think that it was my powerful throws but the truth is it was flown into a tree at 36 feet and the fetch pole grabbed the boom instead of the branch. It's still attached but shredded into strips, just kind of sagging.
Anyone have an idea where to get a replacement? Or maybe another Gambler?

Thanks,

Joseph
skyarchi is offline Find More Posts by skyarchi
Last edited by skyarchi; Sep 13, 2011 at 05:35 PM. Reason: forgot to add my name
Old Sep 14, 2011, 09:34 AM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyarchi View Post
Anyone have an idea where to get a replacement? Or maybe another Gambler?
I'm working with two different vendors to custom make a replacement boon now that Avia is out of business. Both efforts are proceeding more slowly than I would prefer. I'll get replacement booms and kits back in stock as soon as possible.

Sorry,
Allan
Allan Wright is offline Find More Posts by Allan Wright
Old Sep 14, 2011, 10:33 AM
Centurion, South Africa
Joined Mar 2004
8 Posts
Gambler AG Wing kit

Hello Allan, I understand the situation regarding the booms, but have you now stopped selling the wing kit? I emailed you about two weeks ago but received no reply.
HannesJ is offline Find More Posts by HannesJ
Old Sep 14, 2011, 11:08 AM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HannesJ View Post
Hello Allan, I understand the situation regarding the booms, but have you now stopped selling the wing kit? I emailed you about two weeks ago but received no reply.
I have wing kits available - they don't use a boom Feel free to order them from the website.

Sorry about not replying to your email. I never received it.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 11:17 AM
Centurion, South Africa
Joined Mar 2004
8 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply Allan - I sent you new email at sales@wrightbrothersrc.com
HannesJ is offline Find More Posts by HannesJ
Old Sep 14, 2011, 11:20 AM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HannesJ View Post
Thanks for the quick reply Allan - I sent you new email at sales@wrightbrothersrc.com
I get those just fine normally. Maybe somehow your message got marked as spam? Sorry about that.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 11:21 AM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,192 Posts
Of course a message here in this thread or a PM on RC groups also works if somehow email between us is unreliable.
Old Nov 09, 2011, 09:26 AM
The Great NorthWest
Joined May 2007
1,029 Posts
Held out for the one that came so highly recommended

When I decided to try DLG a few months ago everyone I asked recommended the Gambler-AG as the first choice. Of course, I couldn't get one. Finally grabbed one from the classified section. Been watching for quite a while and glad I waited!
AUW is 180g and first flight required one click of down. Covered in UltraCote Lite. I'd buy another one. Could reduce the weight another 10 or 15 grams through a second build.

Xwing
xwingnut is offline Find More Posts by xwingnut
Old Nov 09, 2011, 10:51 AM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
Xwing,
Congratulations on finding a Gambler.

You can get the plan from Allan and make your own parts very easily.

I did a photo how-to on stretching the Gambler wing to 60" and making all parts from scratch. Photos also show an improved spar.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=946404

Allan has lost interest in producing the Gambler kit, but it is a simple plane to build from scratch and certainly does not need a tapered boom. You can find light, straight tubes for boom from kite suppliers.

Good luck.
John255
John255 is offline Find More Posts by John255
Old Nov 09, 2011, 02:05 PM
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John255 View Post
(Edit)

Allan has lost interest in producing the Gambler kit, but it is a simple plane to build from scratch and certainly does not need a tapered boom. You can find light, straight tubes for boom from kite suppliers.

Good luck.
John255
I think it's probably a mistake to say that Allan has lost interest in promoting the Gambler- I think he's just having supply line issues.

Allan has been developing and promoting the Gambler since the late 1990's at least and deserves kudos for being the designer of what has arguably become one of the two or three standard entry level DLG gliders. If he wants to take a break from it for a while, he's earned it in my estimation.

As far as booms go, Walmart sells cheap wrapped carbon fishing rods that will yield excellent tapered tube booms when cut to length, scraped clean of the shiny stuff on the outside, and the line guides are removed, of course. I know this to be true because that's what I used on the Bug I recently built. The Bug boom weighed a hair over 4gm. Lighter by a lot than a straight pultruded tube, and cheaper too when you factor in the outrageous price most of those kite supply companies want for shipping.

Rick
2400RDR is offline Find More Posts by 2400RDR
Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:05 AM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
I don't find anything offensive about loosing interest in a hobby project.
Allan deserves a pat on the back, and shake of the hand for bringing pleasure to so many with the Gambler kit. However, a full-time business would solve the boom problem in a flash.

The KiteShoppe says the Avia G-Force SUL tapered is now back in stock.
http://www.thekiteshoppe.com/product...x-32.5%22.html
However, the price $20 is very high.

You are very correct about outrageous shipping charges $18. Wonder why?

Last Hand Launch I built I used a straight arrow shaft very stiff, and close to same weight as SUL for $7.

There is nothing magic about tapered boom except a tiny amount less weight at the tail. You could easily compensate by lacquering, or doping tail feathers instead of using vinyl covering.

Essential for the boom to be as stiff as possible to withstand launch forces. See attached. Small fishing rods are usually designed to have some bend.
Regards,
John255
John255 is offline Find More Posts by John255
Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:08 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,404 Posts
I think Allan deserves a lot of praise for what he's done and how long he's been doing it. He was well and truly there, back when I was snapping wings on a daily basis.
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD