HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2009, 11:09 AM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ray View Post
To Everyone, Could you tell me where your CG is? Mine is 5/8th behind the spar and I weigh 7 oz. auw. So I really don't want to add weight in the nose if I can help it. I have everything as far forward as possible. Am I okay or am I going to be a fat boy?...Ray
5/8" is a bit further back than I'm comfortable flying with, and I have more hours on Gamblers than anyone by far. I'd recommend you add some temporary nose weight (tape a quarter or two to the nose) to get the CG at the rear edge of the spar. Trim the plane and then start removing nose weight until you like the way the plane flies. I find my optimal CG is 3/8" behind the rear edge of the spar. Your mileage may vary.
Allan Wright is offline Find More Posts by Allan Wright
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2009, 05:29 PM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Dec 2008
280 Posts
To Allan and John

Thanks Allan, I'm just making up some weights now and will bring the CG up to the spar and work from there. John I went to use the Q-tip trick you showed me and guess what, the stem is solid. I even bought the Q-tips especially to do that. Maybe it's a Canadian thing or they have changed them. I cut a couple of pieces of gold n' rod and used them instead. You will see when I finish her up and will post a couple of pics.....Ray
mr ray is offline Find More Posts by mr ray
Old Dec 03, 2009, 05:46 PM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
My goodness! What is this world coming to when you can't even trust Q-Tips to be the same. Golden rod tubing is excellent.
John255
John255 is offline Find More Posts by John255
Old Dec 03, 2009, 07:35 PM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Dec 2008
280 Posts
This Gambler is ready to go to Vegas

Hello Everyone, Bets is finished and even though she is a little over weightI'm sure she will still fly, though it might be a bit of a grunt for her. I thank everyone for all their advice and Allan you designed a really good looking dlg and as soon as I can I will maiden her. Thanks again everyone...Ray
Old Dec 03, 2009, 09:23 PM
USA, MI, Zeeland
Joined Sep 2006
352 Posts
Looks great ray! I am a few steps behind you. I just finished covering the tail and about to tape the rudder and elevator on. Any tips for taping? Should I just tape one side and do i need to leave a gap?
Diesel 48 is offline Find More Posts by Diesel 48
Old Dec 03, 2009, 09:31 PM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Dec 2008
280 Posts
Thanks Diesel 48, Yes just tape one side of the rudder and only the top of the elevator. Don't forget to have the rudder to one side and the elevator down when you put the tape on.If you sanded the bevel on the edge of each then you shouldn't need a gap.Show us some pics when your done...Ray
Old Dec 03, 2009, 09:34 PM
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Wright View Post
As an aside, if that pack is a 10c or better pack, it's also a great choice for use with the power pod!

Supposedly 18C and cheap too- $7.95 each from BP Hobbies. They also sell a GWS charger for $15.00 that looks pretty good for charging small lipos. There have been a couple of threads involving this charger, and it's been pretty highly rated by Paul from NQRC. It might not be the most wonderful charger, but on the other hand, these small batteries aren't that expensive if you mess one up.

I come to DLG gliders from electric helicopters where lipo batteries are just a fact of life. They need to be handled somewhat carefully, but I don't think using them is quite as dire as folks that are unfamiliar with them seem to think (all of the wonderful Youtube videos of lipo fires notwithstanding). I like lipos and am comfortable with them. Anyone who is meticulous enough to build and fly a Gambler certainly shouldn't find using lipos to be problematic at all.

Rick
2400RDR is online now Find More Posts by 2400RDR
Old Dec 03, 2009, 09:53 PM
Mezmerizing...ain't it!
San Jose, California
Joined Jul 2007
182 Posts
mr ray

good luck on the maiden
Robert N is online now Find More Posts by Robert N
Old Dec 04, 2009, 02:45 AM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John255 View Post
Srnet,
Yes the stab/elevator is removable.
I used 6-32 nylon screws and nuts. The nuts were countersunk into the saddle and epoxied in. I just fill the whole cavity with epoxy and when it sets up drill and re-tap the threads for the screws.
I just tried this, I was surprised how much force was needed to pull the nuts out of even a soft piece of balsa.

I just greased up the screws put the nut on the end and held them in place vertical with plasticene whilst the glue set, that way I could unsure the nut was flat. No need to re-tap then.

Tension required to pull out an M3 nylon nut;

Seated in epoxy = 9kg
Seated in Gel (thick) Superglue = 11kg

Should be strong enough !
srnet is offline Find More Posts by srnet
Old Dec 04, 2009, 05:11 AM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ray View Post
I even bought the Q-tips especially to do that.
Nope, they are solid shafts in the UK as well.

Dont despair, they are great for mopping up excess glue on joints .....
srnet is offline Find More Posts by srnet
Old Dec 04, 2009, 09:07 AM
USA, MI, Zeeland
Joined Sep 2006
352 Posts
What type of glue are people using to glue the control horns to the ultracote lite?
Diesel 48 is offline Find More Posts by Diesel 48
Old Dec 04, 2009, 09:41 AM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel 48 View Post
What type of glue are people using to glue the control horns to the ultracote lite?
Don't do that!!!
Follow the instruction on that step:

"Remove a small section of covering from the rudder, and glue one of the Du-Bro control horns to the rudder."

Hang in there!
John255
Old Dec 04, 2009, 09:46 AM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
Great pictures Ray!!!
Nice collection of clamps. I love to see peoples shop.
Gambler looks great too!
Having to add that much weight in nose probably means extra weight in the tail.
There's a 4:1 ratio on that.
Regards,
John255
Old Dec 04, 2009, 10:37 AM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,191 Posts
Looking great Mr. Ray. One way to save a LOT of nose weight: run your antenna in a loop around the inside of your pod. You'll lose a small amount of range, but I've specked many gamblers out with the antennas run this way without any problems. Remember when it comes to tail weight, one in the tail = 4 in the nose. If you're not willing to go this far, coil the antenna closely near the pod and just extend a single, un-wound portion back towards the tail. It doesn't look like a lot, but all that antenna and the tape to attach it makes for a lot of tail weight.

So does the golden rods and external push rods, but some people just don't believe me when I say running them in the boom works fine. It's your plane - I can appreciate doing it your way.

Good luck on the maiden!
Allan

P.S. Nice work on the covering. I particularly like the leading edge wrap of the bottom color. I may have to do that on one of mine!
Allan Wright is offline Find More Posts by Allan Wright
Old Dec 04, 2009, 12:43 PM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
Ray,
The Golden Rod casing material I have here weighs 1.9 grams for the 36" length.

Looks like you may have used less than half of that which would mean it would cause max of 4 grams (.03 oz.) on the nose increase.

Yes it is true I do believe letting control rods flopping around inside 1/4" boom especially during launch, is not good construction practice.

Whether it is needed or not would depend on your tolerance level both in construction and in flying.

You could easily reduce the size and length of the antenna wire and get some relief in nose weight, but not enough to get you back down to 7oz. AUW.

You will probably feel much better about weight after your maiden.
Hang in there.
John255