HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2009, 07:20 PM
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,143 Posts
2S lipo charging

I know that there is probably a better area to post this to, but I also know that some of you are using lipos in your Gamblers, so I decided to cross-post here.

I found some 350mah 2S lipos that are a sensational fit in the nose of the Gambler (see attached photo). The problem is that they don't have balance leads and my charger won't charge lipos that don't have them.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good charger for this type of lipo? Also, I'm not adverse to opening the covering and adding balance leads- I have some, but am not exactly sure how to wire them.

Advice is welcome. Invective will be taken with a grain of salt

Rick
2400RDR is offline Find More Posts by 2400RDR
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2009, 07:30 PM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Dec 2008
280 Posts
To John255 and 2400RDR

Hi John, My request was pg.188, Post 2812 and I Thank-you in advance. 2400RDR my charger is an Orbit Microlader and it will charge that lipo. In fact I'm using a 20c 300mah 2s1p 7.4V lipo in my gambler and it doesn't have balance inputs either...Ray
mr ray is offline Find More Posts by mr ray
Old Dec 01, 2009, 07:50 PM
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ray View Post
2400RDR my charger is an Orbit Microlader and it will charge that lipo. In fact I'm using a 20c 300mah 2s1p 7.4V lipo in my gambler and it doesn't have balance inputs either...Ray
Thanks, but that charger is a little steep at $370 to charge an $8.00 battery

There must be something a little simpler.

I do appreciate the reply however.

Rick
2400RDR is offline Find More Posts by 2400RDR
Old Dec 01, 2009, 08:12 PM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Dec 2008
280 Posts
Are you kidding, I got it from ICare for 150.00 U.S....Ray
Old Dec 01, 2009, 09:25 PM
De Chelonian Mobile!
Wilmington, Delaware, USA
Joined Jul 2006
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2400RDR View Post
I know that there is probably a better area to post this to, but I also know that some of you are using lipos in your Gamblers, so I decided to cross-post here.

I found some 350mah 2S lipos that are a sensational fit in the nose of the Gambler (see attached photo). The problem is that they don't have balance leads and my charger won't charge lipos that don't have them.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good charger for this type of lipo? Also, I'm not adverse to opening the covering and adding balance leads- I have some, but am not exactly sure how to wire them.

Rick
I've been using small lipos in my DLGs for a couple of years now -- 300mAh in the Gambler and DL-50, 450mAh in the Taboo and SideWinder. They work just fine without balance leads. No swelling or other problems.

I charge them with a Triton Jr from Tower Hobbies. It'll charge (and discharge) LiPo, NiMH, NiCd, and Pb batteries. It's easy to use, and it has a nice backlit display. Costs about $75.

-- Walt
leipold is offline Find More Posts by leipold
Old Dec 02, 2009, 09:44 AM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
Ray,
I was a bit surprised this AM to find that my Gambler now has a plastic sleeve on the elevator running all the way from the servo. I don't remember doing that, but my Gambler is years old and has been repaired and modified many times, and still flys like a champ.

When first built I used a piece of Q-tip shank painted black with felt-tip located mid way and glued to the boom. I'm not sure this is necessary, but I felt better with it that way.

Good lift to you.
John255
John255 is offline Find More Posts by John255
Old Dec 02, 2009, 09:54 AM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,331 Posts
Is that a removable Stab I see ?

I can think of a few ways it could be done, are there any views on the most successful or most robust ?

How about the Fin and Rudder, anyone tried setting that up to be removable ?
srnet is online now Find More Posts by srnet
Old Dec 02, 2009, 01:58 PM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Dec 2008
280 Posts
John, Those pics are perfect. Just what I wanted to see. Thank you my friend...Ray
Old Dec 02, 2009, 04:01 PM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by srnet View Post
Is that a removable Stab I see ?I can think of a few ways it could be done, are there any views on the most successful or most robust ? How about the Fin and Rudder, anyone tried setting that up to be removable ?
Srnet,
Yes the stab/elevator is removable.
I used 6-32 nylon screws and nuts. The nuts were countersunk into the saddle and epoxied in. I just fill the whole cavity with epoxy and when it sets up drill and re-tap the threads for the screws. 1/32" ply washers are under the screw heads. The balsa is painted with three coats of Deft clear lacquer.

Never have had a need for removable fin/rudder.
Regards,
John255
Old Dec 02, 2009, 04:36 PM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Dec 2008
280 Posts
To Everyone, Could you tell me where your CG is? Mine is 5/8th behind the spar and I weigh 7 oz. auw. So I really don't want to add weight in the nose if I can help it. I have everything as far forward as possible. Am I okay or am I going to be a fat boy?...Ray
Old Dec 02, 2009, 05:45 PM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,331 Posts
I am no expert.

But if this was mine, I would balance it at the recommended COG first, by adding weight at the nose if need be, and see how it flies.

If it flies OK at the recommended COG, I would start removing the weight from the nose, a bit at a time, and see if I like the change in flight characteristics.
srnet is online now Find More Posts by srnet
Old Dec 02, 2009, 05:54 PM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Dec 2008
280 Posts
Hi Stuart, That sounds like good advice. I'm not sure how it got so heavy but it did and I'll have to work with it. Maybe if I fly it lots it will lose weight...Ray
Old Dec 02, 2009, 06:44 PM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
Ray,
You are going to be just fine at 7oz.

I can't remember if I've ever wished for the Gambler to be lighter at the flying field.
However, many, many times I've wished it to be heavier.

I'm sure everyone here is tired of hearing me say, the lighter plane has less penetration. Thermals carry you downwind and to get back home you have to have penetration.

You may want to consider making a 1~1.5 ounce ballast weight to put on the CG for when the breeze is at 10+ knts.
Regards,
John255
Old Dec 02, 2009, 06:56 PM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Dec 2008
280 Posts
Thanks John,

That makes me feel a whole lot better. The ballast weights are something I'll make up tonight. As soon as we get some decent weather I will maiden her. Just a few little things to finish up and my first wood build will be done.Thanks everyone....Ray
Old Dec 03, 2009, 11:05 AM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2400RDR View Post

Rick
As an aside, if that pack is a 10c or better pack, it's also a great choice for use with the power pod!
Allan Wright is offline Find More Posts by Allan Wright