HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2009, 09:03 AM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
Diesel,
Like any job in building there are many ways to achieve the same goal.

This method is fairly simple and accurate.

The method Allan is describing here with undefined clamps, and the method in the instructions may be even be simpler, but we can't see it.

Problem is Allan is using words to describe the pictures he sees in his head.

The (first time) builder has no pictures in his head.

The pictures below took less than 15 minuets to take and post.
Regards,
John255

P.S. My table in the shop is level, but at the moment cluttered so I used the dining room table . Recommend removing the cloth and leveling up the table first if needed.

EDIT:
Since the boom is tapered it would be more accurate to place the level on the pod.
John255 is offline Find More Posts by John255
Last edited by John255; Dec 03, 2009 at 09:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2009, 09:19 AM
USA, MI, Zeeland
Joined Sep 2006
352 Posts
I really appreciate the help, a picture is worth a thousand words. I should be able to glue it down tonight. Thanks again! RCgroups and its members are priceless.
Diesel 48 is offline Find More Posts by Diesel 48
Old Dec 01, 2009, 09:22 AM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,185 Posts
John, you're a much better photographer than I am. Thanks for helping. Your method looks great to me, in fact I'm sure I've done something similar in the past, and possibly even recommended it here in this thread.

One tiny correction. The boom is tapered, so you'll probably want to put your level on the bottom of the pod (hard for you to do with the hook, but easy for others). Otherwise your incidence will be off by the angle of the boom's taper.

Allan
Allan Wright is offline Find More Posts by Allan Wright
Last edited by Allan Wright; Dec 01, 2009 at 09:30 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2009, 10:36 AM
dying to be flying
Merced, CA
Joined Jun 2004
984 Posts
I laid my fuse pod upside down on building board (without wing) and my horizontal stab upside down on same board and glued it. Will I have a problem? Seemed to line up ok when I did it.

Joe
thrasher is offline Find More Posts by thrasher
Old Dec 01, 2009, 12:14 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasher View Post
I laid my fuse pod upside down on building board (without wing) and my horizontal stab upside down on same board and glued it. Will I have a problem? Seemed to line up ok when I did it.

Joe
You should be fine.
Old Dec 01, 2009, 12:37 PM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Wright View Post
John, you're a much better photographer than I am. Thanks for helping. Your method looks great to me, in fact I'm sure I've done something similar in the past, and possibly even recommended it here in this thread.One tiny correction. The boom is tapered, so you'll probably want to put your level on the bottom of the pod (hard for you to do with the hook, but easy for others). Otherwise your incidence will be off by the angle of the boom's taper.Allan
Allan,
Thanks for the comments on the pictures.
And you are right, I forgot about the tapered boom.

For the simple pictures I posted there was no special equipment used, just overhead room lights, and a camera that cost less than $100.

I see nothing wrong with the excellent pictures you take and post on other threads.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=88
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=94

I've built two Gamblers and have 25 years of building experience and some of your words only post leave me in the dark.

I find it hard to understand why you don't continuously add to the PDF photo files in the instruction as the guys report their trouble.

Or better yet, start a photo section on your website containing your photos categorized by building Steps.

Your help posts here on the thread would then mostly be to direct the builder to "See new photos for Step 25. "

Why wait until next spring?

How many Gamblers will be built over the long winter?
Regards,
John255

P.S.
The first time builders here on the thread are a terrific source for making the Gambler instruction every bit as good as the Gambler itself.
Old Dec 01, 2009, 12:59 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,185 Posts
So much to do, so little time. Those photos of my small plane were actually taken in my kitchen during the daylight hours. Light helps a lot.
Old Dec 01, 2009, 01:11 PM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,160 Posts
Sure balsa varies, the kit came with stuff ranging from 6.5lbs to 9lbs for the wing which is fair enough.

The wing sheeting weight did vary quite a bit, from 5.9lb to 18lb, that could account for a variation of maybe 8g between kits.

The weight of 57g was the weight of the bits as trimmed and assembled, all that came off was about 1/8" sliver of sheeting at the LE and the sanding of the tip bits.
srnet is offline Find More Posts by srnet
Old Dec 01, 2009, 01:23 PM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,160 Posts
Finished the fuse, 26g with the CF on the sides and glass

I would recommend to anyone building a Gambler to read through the whole thread, there is a wealth of good construction advice in it.

I had never heard of Polycrylic before, its great stuff, heaps easier to apply than epoxy, much less messy too.

It never occured to me to sand the TEs before assembly, that saves time and prevents damage to the ribs.

Foaming glue (Gorilla) I had never hear of either, great stuff.

One thought about the polycrylic, its water based so has anyone tried colouring it with food dyes ?
srnet is offline Find More Posts by srnet
Old Dec 01, 2009, 01:27 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by srnet View Post
Sure balsa varies, the kit came with stuff ranging from 6.5lbs to 9lbs for the wing which is fair enough.

The wing sheeting weight did vary quite a bit, from 5.9lb to 18lb, that could account for a variation of maybe 8g between kits.

The weight of 57g was the weight of the bits as trimmed and assembled, all that came off was about 1/8" sliver of sheeting at the LE and the sanding of the tip bits.
I actually get firmer stock for the 1/32 sheeting on purpose for strength. I'm surprised you got a soft board in yours. I try to pull them out and use them for the shims when I can. I must have missed some in your kit.
Old Dec 01, 2009, 01:28 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by srnet View Post
One thought about the polycrylic, its water based so has anyone tried colouring it with food dyes ?
Yes, and it works fine as long as you're sparing with the color.
Old Dec 01, 2009, 01:55 PM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Dec 2008
280 Posts
Hey John255, Did you miss my requests for pics of your elevator setup or didn't you want to send any?...Ray
mr ray is offline Find More Posts by mr ray
Old Dec 01, 2009, 03:11 PM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Wright View Post
So much to do, so little time. Those photos of my small plane were actually taken in my kitchen during the daylight hours. Light helps a lot.
Allan,
Yes, photography is all about light.

Today's digicams are very sensitive, just about any light source will work fine.

The mini-photo how-to I posted for you showed a dedicated shop-light source that is always there with always the same exposure. Page 183, post 2742.

With a set up like that you can just plop down the Gambler part and shoot. Please pardon, but I think you're making this much bigger job than it really is.

Regards,
John255
Old Dec 01, 2009, 03:15 PM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ray View Post
Hey John255, Did you miss my requests for pics of your elevator setup or didn't you want to send any?...Ray
Ray,
Yes, I sure did miss that. I looked back but could not find your request. Will be glad to shoot, but tell specifically what your interest is. My elevator rod is outside on the boom.
John255
Old Dec 01, 2009, 06:14 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,233 Posts
Got my kit in the mail today!
Thanks Alan....Nick is one happy camper, as this is his birthday present.
He is 10 now.

He flew Chris' Gambler at CASA this year.....He flew it pretty good too, and he's wanted one ever since.
Big thanks to Chris and his dad as well.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp