SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 18, 2009, 04:01 PM
Throw a glider!
Columbus Ohio
Joined Mar 2007
401 Posts
Allen, John, am I the only one having a flashback to the Rease's commercials?...
glider90 is offline Find More Posts by glider90
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2009, 04:34 PM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,218 Posts
Does no-one have any thoughts about the question I posed in #2729;

where best to use the various weights of 1/32 sheeting that come with the kit ?
srnet is offline Find More Posts by srnet
Old Nov 18, 2009, 04:43 PM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Dec 2008
280 Posts
srnet, I would use them (being the 1/32 sheeting) on the wing tips. Everything I've read says light wingtips signal lift best...Ray
mr ray is offline Find More Posts by mr ray
Old Nov 18, 2009, 04:53 PM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glider90 View Post
Allen, John, am I the only one having a flashback to the Rease's commercials?...
Jim,
I don't know what you are referring to, but it looks like you post is as close to a response as I'm going to get for my long winded efforts. So what are you talking about?
John255
John255 is offline Find More Posts by John255
Old Nov 19, 2009, 08:04 PM
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,080 Posts
Question on building the wingtip panels

I'm working on building the wing on my Gambler, and have a question on the wingtip panel construction-

On the plans for the wing tip panels, the ribs cross the main spar at about 6.5 degrees out of perpendicular, but the notches in the spar are cut square, or straight across. When I built the first panel, this meant that each rib had to be bent a bit to line up with the plans, and also to make it into the notches in the TE. I'm wondering if I did something wrong?

I didn't see it mentioned in the instructions, but all three spars have a side labelled "back" which I assumed went toward the TE. If the notches are cut at 90 degrees, that would mean that the wing tip spars are identical, and interchangeable, and that it wouldn't matter at all on the spar for the center panel.

What am I missing?

This may have been answered earlier inthis thread, but to be honest, I haven't wanted to wade through all (nearly) several thousand posts looking for the answer. Any advice will be welcome!

Rick
2400RDR is offline Find More Posts by 2400RDR
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:27 PM
Joined Mar 2007
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2400RDR View Post
I'm working on building the wing on my Gambler, and have a question on the wingtip panel construction-

On the plans for the wing tip panels, the ribs cross the main spar at about 6.5 degrees out of perpendicular, but the notches in the spar are cut square, or straight across. When I built the first panel, this meant that each rib had to be bent a bit to line up with the plans, and also to make it into the notches in the TE. I'm wondering if I did something wrong?

I didn't see it mentioned in the instructions, but all three spars have a side labelled "back" which I assumed went toward the TE. If the notches are cut at 90 degrees, that would mean that the wing tip spars are identical, and interchangeable, and that it wouldn't matter at all on the spar for the center panel.

What am I missing?

This may have been answered earlier inthis thread, but to be honest, I haven't wanted to wade through all (nearly) several thousand posts looking for the answer. Any advice will be welcome!

Rick
Rick, I had this exact question, and what I was told (and did) was; use an emery board or piece of sandpaper to chage the notch angles to allow the ribs to hit the Leading Edge at 90 degrees. It's a 'sand, test, sand, test' type of thing. Hope this helps...!!

---Chuck
chuck-glider is offline Find More Posts by chuck-glider
Old Nov 20, 2009, 08:20 AM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by srnet View Post
Does no-one have any thoughts about the question I posed in #2729;

where best to use the various weights of 1/32 sheeting that come with the kit ?

I'm sorry I missed that question. Do your best to balance the plane laterally. If you have some sheets that are heavier, I'd recommend the center panel for them. Weight on the wingtips slows down your turning.
Allan Wright is offline Find More Posts by Allan Wright
Old Nov 20, 2009, 08:23 AM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2400RDR View Post

What am I missing?

Rick
The notches can only be cut at 90-degrees on the laser. I've made them slightly wider to allow the ribs to angle through them at the proper angle. If yours don't line up with the plans you might have to sand the slots a bit more to allow the ribs to line up properly. Your spar probably just was slightly denser balsa than the average piece.

Yes this was answered before, but at this point probably about 1000 posts back
Old Nov 20, 2009, 09:07 AM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
Rick,
Also back 1000 post are several discussions about adding gussets to increasing the fairly small glued area of the 1/16" ribs to the TE.

It's an old habit from the free-flight builders who are not unanimous with the practice. Some do, and some don't.

On the Gambler it adds less than two grams unless you go overboard with glue, and if you are a gusset person it makes you feel good!

You can cut them quickly as shown below, and install them on one side of each rib. If you are a double gusset person you can put them on both side and feel even better. Allan is not a gusset man, but there are a few supplied.

Regards, and good luck with your build.
John255
Old Nov 20, 2009, 09:27 AM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,185 Posts
Gussets are of more value when you have butt-glued joints. Since the Gambler's TE is notched, I think gussets are not needed except the few places I specify on the plans (and provide laser-cut gussets for). Add them if you like, but I think they're not needed.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 12:50 PM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
Allan,
Yes it's true the notch is not a butt joint, but it is only 1/8" from being one.

The notch is a good joint, but it's the height of the rib at the TE point that bothers me. And we all know there's a great variation in strength of available supplies of 1/16" rib balsa.

My feeling is if a stronger connection between rib and TE can be made at minuscule weight gain, why not do it.

About every 500~600 post we have this discussion and the conclusion is always the same: Some folks are gusset people and some are not!!!
Regards,
John255
Old Nov 20, 2009, 02:17 PM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,196 Posts
Gussets now and forever ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John255 View Post
Allan,
Some folks are gusset people and some are not!!!
Regards,
John255
Hi John,
is that an elevator assy for a volksplane ?

I use gussets on larger model TD sailplanes in all the same FF locations to because of dogma

But also i have found use for gussets tying the models leading edge to the front of the rib when assembling the model. The LE always seems to want to pull/fall/lift/run/etc away from the rib front so the little triangle gusset gives me more time to set the LE with a dab of CA and then butt glue with wood glue, the LE to the front of rib( also a lot les fighting with it to stay in place).

js
jswain is offline Find More Posts by jswain
Old Nov 20, 2009, 03:17 PM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
JS,
Woowee! a reply! And from another gusset man too! That feels good!

A couple years ago when we first started discussing gussets (I think we should call them dis-gusset-tions)I did an extensive search of as many top FF designs I could find and only about half of them used TE gussets. So much for that!

Good to hear that you found a good application for the little triangles. Some folks are surprised to find out how happy they can be with gussets. If I'd found them earlier I may have not married.

Tell me about your avatar. That's the simplest one I've ever seen. It has a lot of appeal. Maybe its because the arms and legs look like gussets.

I think the picture I posted is a wing section of a VW plane. I just Googled "why use gussets" and the only airplane hit was a guy building a VW plane.

So hang in there and try not to get dis-gusset-ed!
Regards,
John255
Last edited by John255; Nov 22, 2009 at 07:25 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 05:39 PM
Joined Oct 2007
8 Posts
WOW 2700+ post and some amazing info. Thank you all for sharing your ideas I am confident and really looking forward to flying some NON-powered models. A huge departure from my everyday form of flying..

Aholein1
aholein1 is offline Find More Posts by aholein1
Old Nov 20, 2009, 05:53 PM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
Welcome Aholein,
I'm sure you will find the search for the invisible thermal as challenging and fascinating as the rest of us who are very much hooked on the sport.
Good luck, and good lift to you.
John255