SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 17, 2009, 08:18 AM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,192 Posts
Sexy cover. There's a local guy here that does a similar thing to his Gamblers. Works nicely.
Allan Wright is offline Find More Posts by Allan Wright
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2009, 08:50 AM
USA, MI, Zeeland
Joined Sep 2006
352 Posts
Any tips for drilling the hole in the wing tip for the peg?
Diesel 48 is offline Find More Posts by Diesel 48
Old Nov 17, 2009, 09:06 AM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,192 Posts
Start the hole with the tip of a hobby knife by spinning the tip right where you want the hole. Once started use a 1/8" drill bit. I put mine in a T-handle for a tap&die set and drill it by hand, but if you're careful you should be able to use a cordless drill on slow speed.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:21 AM
USA, MI, Zeeland
Joined Sep 2006
352 Posts
What about making it perpendicular to the part of the wing that attaches to the fuse. How important is it to make it exact? Any tricks for that angle? Also, I have never covered a dihedral wing should it be done in 3 separate sections?
Diesel 48 is offline Find More Posts by Diesel 48
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:24 AM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel 48 View Post
What about making it perpendicular to the part of the wing that attaches to the fuse. How important is it to make it exact? Any tricks for that angle? Also, I have never covered a dihedral wing should it be done in 3 separate sections?
Definitely cover in 3 sections. Overlap a little at the dihedral breaks. When I drill mine I put a book on the center section to hold it flat on the bench, then I just use a small level to get the peg perpendicular to the table. You can probably get it close enough by eye honestly.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 01:06 PM
dying to be flying
Merced, CA
Joined Jun 2004
984 Posts
What is the CG of the Gambler AG? Also what are the control throws in inch or percent for rudder and elevator? Can you CG it like other planes? Thought that Ultracoat lite might be to thin to support aircraft but maybe if I put a couple of pieces of blue masking tape on bottom of wings with CG line on them to balance.

Joe
thrasher is offline Find More Posts by thrasher
Old Nov 17, 2009, 01:17 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,192 Posts
CG range is on the plans. Throws are 45-degrees for the rudder, 30-degrees for the elevator.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 03:53 PM
dying to be flying
Merced, CA
Joined Jun 2004
984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Wright View Post
CG range is on the plans. Throws are 45-degrees for the rudder, 30-degrees for the elevator.
Duh, the plans of course, I was looking in the instruction booklet.

Thanks.
Joe
thrasher is offline Find More Posts by thrasher
Old Nov 17, 2009, 03:57 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasher View Post
Duh, the plans of course, I was looking in the instruction booklet.

Thanks.
Joe
I should have it in both places. I'll add it to the instructions next time I'm editing them. Sorry.

Allan
Old Nov 17, 2009, 04:51 PM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
Quote:
I should have it in both places. I'll add it to the instructions next time I'm editing them. Sorry.
Allan
Allan,
While you're talking about editing instructions, I think you've got a great product here, but the instructions in my opinion could be a lot better at practically zero cost.

The few photos in the instruction are not up to quality easily available today, and there could be a lot more of them.

The task that scares many first time builders is glassing which could benefit greatly by a set of high quality step-by-step photos. The present instruction has no pictures on this step.

To give a view of what I'm suggesting take a look at the step-by-step photos for this top of the line, expensive HL.
http://www.olgol.com/TabooGT/build1.html

Although this is an expensive plane its is not the instructions that make it expensive. Digital photos like this are practically free.

I know it would take time to do, but you've got a plane here that is definitely worth it. I don't think it's possible to have too many pictures for the first time builder.

Just one opinion from a guy who loves the Gambler.
Regards,
John255
John255 is offline Find More Posts by John255
Old Nov 18, 2009, 08:29 AM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,192 Posts
I'll look at taking some more photos of the missing steps next spring when I build next year's 'fleet'. Good suggestion about the fiberglass step. One thing...digital photos are cheap....good ones, require skill. I seem to be a better plane designer/builder than photographer. You'd think the two skills would have some similar qualities, but photography seems to give me trouble for some reason.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:47 AM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
Photo considerations

Allan,
Good to know you are receptive to adding a lot more pictures to your instruction.

Good photography does require a bit of practice, but nowhere near that needed to read and stay in lift!

And, like thermaling you can't learn it by not doing it.
You get a lot of questions here that could best be answered with practice photos that may also go into the instruction. Your stock will build fast.

First, a dedicated photo area with dedicated light is important.
There are several light boxes available, but you can easily rig your own less restrictive set up as shown below. Flash is OK for some pictures, but gives harsh hot spots and either burns out close-ups, or not enough light when real close.

Most common photo mistake is conflicting backgrounds.
Second is not using the camera macro setting for close-ups.

Because the light is always the same on your photo setup the best exposure is determined by test using Manual exposure then always use the same setting. Mine is 1/50 sec @ f5.6.

Auto exposure camera setting will be influenced by the color of the object and the background. Use Manual.

I hope I'm not boring everybody to death with this, but most of us like to help others and best way is with good photos.
Regards,
John255
John255 is offline Find More Posts by John255
Last edited by John255; Nov 18, 2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 02:56 PM
Joined Oct 2007
8 Posts
ordered kit, Cant wait. I am in a cleaning frenzy so I am ready for its arrival. Like a fat kid in a candy store... I am still back on page 71 should have all my notes ready by the time the kit arrives. Then I will throw them out and ask all the questions again. I am going to do a build thread here http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/f...tml#post941803 as you can see I am a little ahead of actual kit arrival.

Aholein1
aholein1 is offline Find More Posts by aholein1
Last edited by aholein1; Nov 18, 2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 02:59 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,192 Posts
I'll get it out tomorrow. Thanks for the order!
Old Nov 18, 2009, 03:01 PM
Joined Oct 2007
8 Posts
Quote:
I'll get it out tomorrow. Thanks for the order!
NO worries, Thank you for such a great kit even a ARF guy can tackle. Damn I am excited

Aholein1.
aholein1 is offline Find More Posts by aholein1