HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:43 AM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Dec 2008
280 Posts
Hi Allan

I am with Xptical,I haven't heard or seen anything about filling the space between F3 and the rear of the fuse. Do you put in another brace or just stuff it with bric a brac.....Ray
mr ray is offline Find More Posts by mr ray
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2009, 05:20 PM
Littleton, CO
Joined Jun 2009
280 Posts
I glassed the fuse today. Not as bad as I expected. Will see how easy it is to sand once cured. Still have to do the carbon on the wings but that doesn't seem like that will be that bad. Build so far not going bad if I would have commited to it could have had it ready to fly in a couple days.

One question I have is should I glass the hatches?
jedoug is offline Find More Posts by jedoug
Old Oct 31, 2009, 05:41 PM
USA, Eastern Ohio
Joined Jan 2005
974 Posts
Don't bother sanding it. If you blotted up the excess glass, it'll be fine.
Tag1260 is offline Find More Posts by Tag1260
Old Nov 01, 2009, 05:08 PM
Pagosa Springs, CO
Joined Jul 2007
240 Posts
Maidened my Gambler today. Flying weight is around 6 3/4 ounces. No flight pics, but I took the attached one before my first throw, just in case it never looks that good again.

Actually, I threw it around 50 times. The only scuffs were on the nose -- the wings came through unmarked. I only quit then because the throwing peg came loose (and my index finger needed a rest anyway).

One of the throws put me into a spot of lift, and I was able to do about a half-dozen circles at the same altitude before the bubble faded. I really like this model so far...
Teezer is offline Find More Posts by Teezer
Old Nov 01, 2009, 05:23 PM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Dec 2008
280 Posts
Way to go Teezer

I would be smiling too. Sounds like you had a great afternoon. Real nice color combo on that gambler. Looks like you threw the dice and won. Good for you...Ray
Old Nov 01, 2009, 06:02 PM
USA, Eastern Ohio
Joined Jan 2005
974 Posts
Looks good. Same color scheme as mine without the white in the wing. And yours still has a pod too. Mine doesn't anymore after a wild flight this afternoon!!!
Tag1260 is offline Find More Posts by Tag1260
Old Nov 01, 2009, 08:26 PM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,191 Posts
Teezer - i have question about center panel covering material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezer View Post
Maidened my Gambler today. Flying weight is around 6 3/4 ounces. No flight pics, but I took the attached one before my first throw, just in case it never looks that good again.
Hi Teezer,
i am glad to hear it went so well.

What is the center panel covering material ? It appears to be a somewhat translucent/transparent white covering.

thanks in advance, john s.
jswain is offline Find More Posts by jswain
Old Nov 01, 2009, 08:47 PM
Throw a glider!
Columbus Ohio
Joined Mar 2007
397 Posts
What a flight!

A beautiful fall day here brought three big “firsts” for my Gambler in one flight. My longest flight (16 and a half minutes), my highest flight (915 feet), and my first loss of visual contact with an R/C model, at 915 feet.

I was working the second thermal of a nice flight, drifting towards the afternoon sun with the model well specked. All of the sudden I heard beeping from the transmitter. I glanced down to see that I was accidentally on the throttle digital trim. I let it go, went back to the position the model was in…and nothing. I started seeing floaters and hoping they were the model. I was in deep trouble! I scanned the sky, nothing. Knowing it was drifting a tad west I started walking that line. After about 30 seconds I decided to put the stick to the top right and start an outside spin to drop altitude and hopefully regain sight of it. I did this and counted to twenty. Nothing. Panic really set in.

I spent the next sixty seconds getting myself into a position to best see there area it should be in, and scanned the horizon again. It was at this point I began to decide how stupid it was to continue up, and to take my eyes off the model. I am used to losing Free Flight models (which have trackers in them for when you do), but to lose this glider this way was going to ruin my weekend for sure.

I stood staring and then saw something coming towards me to my left at about 200’. I could not believe my eyes, it was my Gambler! After about 2 minutes of being gone, the model was back tracking in a straight line towards me, what luck!

I brought it in over the houses to my small flying field and circled for a hand catch into the wind. It was like being reunited with a friend that was thought to be lost forever. Wow was I lucky. I will not chase altitudes of over 900 feet anymore. I would like to beat Trent’s time of 19:10 though
~Jim
glider90 is offline Find More Posts by glider90
Last edited by glider90; Nov 01, 2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old Nov 01, 2009, 09:07 PM
Pagosa Springs, CO
Joined Jul 2007
240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswain View Post
What is the center panel covering material ? It appears to be a somewhat translucent/transparent white covering.
John,

All of the white (wing, elevator, rudder, and pod) is Ultracote Lite, transparent white. Also sold as Oralight. The red is the same brand.

I must say that I was surprised to see that the covering suffered no damage from the many landings in dry grass and weeds during my morning session. Ultracote may be light, but it's tough stuff...
Teezer is offline Find More Posts by Teezer
Old Nov 02, 2009, 07:39 AM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
Glider90,
Jim, that was a wonderful story!

Had me sitting on the edge of the chair.

Congratulations on winning your high altitude gamble.

Your story is also great info about the visual limits of the Gambler being around 1000'.

This should also help with concerns about shortening the antenna instead of the dangling wire. Full range Rx with 40" ant would be 5,280'. With 20" ant would still be 2640'.

Good info and great post!!!!
Regards,
John255
John255 is offline Find More Posts by John255
Old Nov 02, 2009, 12:04 PM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Dec 2008
280 Posts
Luck be a Gambler!

Quite the story Glider90, I had a similar experience with my GL this summer. Glad you got it back. ..Hey guys I got a problem with my cf ribbon. I mentioned this earlier and didn't get an answer that helped me out, so I went ahead on the build thinking I will work it out eventually. Well that time has arrived. My wings are built,the fuse is done and I can't go any further without putting on the cf. The cf looks like a girls hair that has been backcombed and try as I might I can't see any thermo-plastic cross stitching that is holding together smaller segments. My next move is to stretch it out and just try to cut it in strips. ....Any answer to my problem...Ray
Old Nov 02, 2009, 12:49 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,185 Posts
Yes, and Yes.

Yes you can use polycrilic if you prefer.

Yes you can thin standard 30-minute epoxy by either heating it slightly, or by adding a drop or two of rubbing alcohol to it.

Either method will work acceptably. I just recommend finishing resin as it is what I consider best for the application.

Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xptical View Post
Can I use polycrilic instead of finishing resin? I only need a small amount of resin and it seems a waste to buy $20 worth for glassing the fuse.

Or maybe I can thin some standard 30-minute epoxy somehow...
Allan Wright is offline Find More Posts by Allan Wright
Old Nov 02, 2009, 12:55 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ray View Post
Quite the story Glider90, I had a similar experience with my GL this summer. Glad you got it back. ..Hey guys I got a problem with my cf ribbon. I mentioned this earlier and didn't get an answer that helped me out, so I went ahead on the build thinking I will work it out eventually. Well that time has arrived. My wings are built,the fuse is done and I can't go any further without putting on the cf. The cf looks like a girls hair that has been backcombed and try as I might I can't see any thermo-plastic cross stitching that is holding together smaller segments. My next move is to stretch it out and just try to cut it in strips. ....Any answer to my problem...Ray
CST is where I get this material from. The company that originally made it went out of business and a new company is making it now. The new company is using less thermoplastic 'glue' on the surfaces and they're also not putting the 1/8" gaps in the product that were so helpful to us RC buyers. I believe that our needs are being out-weighed by users that are using it in composite layups and the manufacturer has changed the layup of the product as a request from their customers (or just because it's cheaper to make it with less glue). The carbon-fiber ribbon is a key component to the Gambler kit and sourcing it has been a continuous problem for the 6 years I've made the kit. Every time I settle on a product I like, it becomes unavailable. I found out about this new change in the current product after ordering over $800.00 worth of the new product, about 65 kits worth.

I recommend lightly dusting the flattened ribbon with 3-M super 77, tacking it to some wax paper, then cutting it into 1/4" strips. You can use the wax paper as a carrier to transfer it to your spar. I've actually had to start putting 1.25" wide pieces in the kits to account for the fraying at the edges of the product. If you have a circular fabric cutter (or can borrow one from your wife) they work well for cutting the CF into strips. If you don't a fresh blade on your hobby knife and a metal straight edge works well too if you take your time. Also I'd use the spray adhesive to tack the CF to the balsa and not rely on the thermal adhesive. You'll get better results with the spray adhesive.

This batch of CF is particularly fiddly to use and after I've used it up I'm probably going to switch back to the product I used while this product was unavailable. The substitute is a bit thicker, but easier for the customer to work with. Let me know if you have any trouble with the CF using this method. If necessary I'll supply additional CF, although if you got your kit recently you should have plenty of extra width to cut off the frayed edge.
Last edited by Allan Wright; Nov 02, 2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old Nov 02, 2009, 01:05 PM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Dec 2008
280 Posts
Thanks Allan

I will try that out this afternoon and let you know how I make out...Ray
Old Nov 02, 2009, 01:07 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,185 Posts
Be sure to very lightly dust the CF. You don't want it permanently stuck to the wax paper. In fact you could lay the CF out, dust it and let the glue dry, then press it to the wax paper. That will give you sort of a 'post it' note effect.