SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 07, 2002, 08:19 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Help! - Problem with Tiger Moth - CG?

I have a problem with my Tiger Moth when I fly it. It keeps on Porpoising & balooning, I keep having to feed down trim or keep pushing the nose down. Where should the CG be on this plane?
I'm thinking that maybe this plane is Tail Heavy but it seems to balance out pretty Fair. Where do you have your CG on your Moth?
-Thanks-
Mike
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2002, 08:32 AM
Iowa
Joined Oct 2001
595 Posts
on page 2 of this section is a thread called "tigermoth cg help". it gives some pretty good info on your question.
ronnath is offline Find More Posts by ronnath
Old Jul 07, 2002, 09:04 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Ronnath:
I just taped a flattened out little fishing weight to the nose of my Moth & went out to the field. She is flying much better now & I got quite a crowd (Bible study group) who were amazed how it would litterally stop in the headwind that was blowing out of the southwest. I do think I need a tiny bit more weight though & may try a little larger sinker.
I think that my problem stemmed from the fact that I went to a split Lith configuration, so I have one long battery & less of the battery weight is in the nose. The Moth is a great little airplane, I'm overdosing on Loops since my Beloved Litestick won't do them.

Anybody - Please finish this sentence "If you love the Tiger Moth, you'll love the ______" (I need a new project)

-Thanks-
Mike
Old Jul 07, 2002, 10:34 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Standard CG is 35-45 mm from the front edge of the lower wing. Get a pencil and draw it right on the wing so you can check it at the field if you need to. I've got mine set back at the 45 mm mark and it loops quite easily on the stock A drive. I've got li-ons in a side-by-side configuration and they have to be centered over the LE of the lower wing to balance. That's pretty far back, I would think you could still achieve CG without adding weight even though your batteries are end-to-end.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Jul 07, 2002, 10:44 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Mike, I agree with Tres, my side by side Li's balance when centered over the LE too. Seems like to get the same yours should have one in the battery compartment and one over the wing?

Have you cut out the front of the battery compartment to try sliding them forward farther?

"If you love the Tiger Moth, you'll love the Mountain Models Cessna 180"

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Jul 07, 2002, 12:10 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Basketcase:
Thanks, No I have not tried to carve out any foam forward of the Battery compartment. Actually, I went to a permanent Split-Lith configuration so that I specifically would not have to do any carving. The fishing weight idea seems to work & I only need about 3-4 Grams to get the job done. Come to think of it, I may try sliding the battery a little forward or I will have to find somewhere to stash the lead & 3 Grams ain't much to make up.
-Mike-