SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 12, 2006, 12:41 PM
PropBuster
Joined May 2005
62 Posts
Discussion
Upgrading to new electric specifically for AP

Okay,

I am a newbie, but I am fired up about AP. I have been learning to fly on a SlowStick, but I want to upgrade to a plane with a bit more lift and carrying capacity for AP. I was flying with the basic 300 series motor. Can anyone make a suggestion about the type of plane. I am also in the market for at least of 4.0 MP camera so I am shopping for that as well. I used the search feature, but did not come up with anything.

Thank you for your help.

PropBuster
jasonkrupert is offline Find More Posts by jasonkrupert
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2006, 01:24 PM
Dingwall, Ross-shire, Scotland
Joined Nov 2000
243 Posts
Propbuster,

I am using an Easystar with a small brushless motor from a shockie. My camera is a Nikon Coolpix 7900. 27ozs AUW and flies for 12 - 15mins on a 3S1P 1000mAh Lipo. Loads of advice from this forum but it's like this hobby as a whole, how much money are you willing to throw at it. I've seen brilliant results from 1.3Mp cameras and poor results from 8Mp cameras.

Good Luck

Steve
Sierra Golf Mike is offline Find More Posts by Sierra Golf Mike
Old Apr 12, 2006, 02:08 PM
Smile & wave
Lancing West Sussex
Joined Jun 2005
3,440 Posts
PropBuster,

As Steve says the Easy Star is becoming a good and versatile camera plane and seems to handle all sorts of configurations.
To start with and get good printable AP results I would recommend a 5Mp but it depends on your budget.

Anyway to look on the bright side, if you get an EZ* you shouldn’t bust anymore props.

Gray
Gray is offline Find More Posts by Gray
Old Apr 12, 2006, 02:28 PM
Studies the wind
United States, CA, Yountville
Joined Nov 2004
1,524 Posts
If it works, don't fix it!

My 2 cents: If you can fly a slowstick don't upgrade to another airplane but, instead, upgrade to gearless, brushless outrunner and Lipo battery pack. That combo will easily loft a Pentax Optio S4 or S5 until it specks out. If you go for a 150 watt motor you will have vertical performance with camera. What more do you need?
fish
ghoti is offline Find More Posts by ghoti
Old Apr 12, 2006, 03:18 PM
PropBuster
Joined May 2005
62 Posts
Good to hear about Easy Star and gearless, brushless outrunner and Lipo

Thank you Gray and Ghoti.

I will look at the Easy Star.

Also, Ghoti, can you recommend good brands of the gearless, brushless outrunner and Lipo for SlowStick? Which ones are you using?

I found I could lift about 2.5 oz confortably with my current set-up.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 05:54 PM
Rochester Hills, Michigan, United States
Joined Oct 2003
1,882 Posts
Once you get brushless and lipos, you can lift a lot with your slowstick.

pjs800, nippy 1812/100 brushless's, and some 1800-2500mah 3s will do wonders. Make sure your wing is reinforced so not to fold it.

My SS AUW is around 40 ounces with downlink and all, so I and many others am lifting
way more than 2.5 ounces.

--Scott
dreslism is offline Find More Posts by dreslism
Old Apr 12, 2006, 06:15 PM
Aerial Shutterbug
San Mateo, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
5,007 Posts
Qual just listed his Magpie AP, a purposely designed fixed wing aircraft, for sale, it's a good AP ship.

You can read more about the Magpie AP here, beware this thread covers four sections!

-Roger
RMihara is offline Find More Posts by RMihara
Old Apr 12, 2006, 09:28 PM
Studies the wind
Joined Nov 2004
1,524 Posts
[QUOTE=jasonkrupert]Thank you Gray and Ghoti.

Also, Ghoti, can you recommend good brands of the gearless, brushless outrunner and Lipo for SlowStick? Which ones are you using?

I have used Himax motors, model HC2808-0980 driving a 10X4.7 prop or it will drive a 11X4.7 for a year. I now have two of each in two slowsticks. I use a 25 amp CC ESC.

Recently I bought a HC-2812 which boosts power from 100 watts to 150 watts. I now wait for weather to open to try that but the propwash in my hand is awesome!

Lipo packs, last year 1100mah 3-cell Polyquest and I am replacing them (getting low amps with age) with ThunderTiger 1320mah (same weight, more energy stored, higher price) which are also an awesome boost in delivered power. Batteries have come a long way in the last year. I expect to go vertical with that combination.

This much power got me in trouble at first. I had been conditioned by NiCad performance which is barely adequate. I used to full on/full off the throttle. I can't do that now unless I really need to. Full throttle is now used only for steep climb to picture altitude or to use brute force to lift up out of a stall or to pull the plane around a steeply banking turn. Learn these things and your ability to snake in and out of tight spots will be gratifying.
fish
Old Apr 12, 2006, 09:37 PM
Studies the wind
Joined Nov 2004
1,524 Posts
Propbuster, another thought:

Dump that 300 series motor ASAP. They are near worthless in performance and the brushes don't last long. A 400 series geared motor has acceptable thrust but even they, with their larger brushes, don't last long. Your greatest improvement step will be here.

Until your skill is good, don't fly without a prop saver. They make a dramatic difference in prop life. And they allow you to cut off excess prop shaft so it won't bend so easy on impact.
fish
Old Apr 12, 2006, 10:32 PM
PropBuster
Joined May 2005
62 Posts
Google didn't help me find the ThunderTiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti
Thank you Gray and Ghoti.

"ThunderTiger 1320mah (same weight, more energy stored, higher price)"
Ghoti,

Would you mind letting me in on the secret place to find the ThunderTiger batteries and which EPS would you recommend using?

Thanks again.

PropBuster
Old Apr 12, 2006, 11:31 PM
Studies the wind
Joined Nov 2004
1,524 Posts
Oohps!

Prop buster: Sorry about that. . . . . the proper label is THUNDERPOWER. My memory is disturbingly defective. They have a good reputation I read so they seemed a good way to tweak performance and chose them. So far it exceeds my expectations. The new ability to deliver huge current without voltage sag is really mind-boggeling.

The ESC I use is Castle Creations and, for my slowsticks I like 35 amp but you can no problem live with 25 amp. I like the extra margin so I get no unexpected over current cutoffs from it. I loft cameras so I want reliability as highest priority.
fish
Old Apr 13, 2006, 02:04 AM
Whadda YOU lookin' at?
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined May 2002
2,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti
My 2 cents: If you can fly a slowstick don't upgrade to another airplane but, instead, upgrade to gearless, brushless outrunner and Lipo battery pack. That combo will easily loft a Pentax Optio S4 or S5 until it specks out. If you go for a 150 watt motor you will have vertical performance with camera. What more do you need?
fish

What ghoti said... if you want more lifting power after that you can even buy another wingset and add several inches on each outboard panel for more lift...

If that is not enough, here are a couple cool projects for an AP platform, both are twin boom pusher designs:

Slow Stick "Dragon":
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384194

"Depron Dragon:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310930

CJS
CactusJackSlade is offline Find More Posts by CactusJackSlade