Old Apr 12, 2006, 12:37 PM
Thoughts Become Things
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2005
185 Posts
Discussion
Not sorry I bought it now.

Hi,

I wanted a simple 2M sailplane ARF that I could put together in a few hours and then go out and have some fun. The new 2M Fling from Great Planes fit my needs plus the price was really good @ $89.00. When I recieved the Fling I was happy with the contents for the most part. The way in which the tail surfaces attatch was not very good for alignment purposes but I worked with it and got everything straight.

I eagerly went to the flying field this morning. Nice and sunny with a lite breeze, perfect for soaring. There was some nice warm air swirling about and I could tell that there would be some bubbly thermals, perfect conditions. I started with some hand tosses to get the trimming done. A few hand launch flights and everything was really dead on. Even with hand lauches the sailplane seemed to float around the field, I actually had to bring her down because this sailplane really wanted to fly.

I was ready for the Hi Start launch now, and my first hi-start was great, the Fling exited at the apex and soared very nice, the flight was about 10 minutes and the landing was nice and smooth.

Second Hi-start launch, again, the sailplane rose to the top, released and I had a nice flight. Here's where the problem reared it's head. When I was coming in for a landing , very slow, the sailplane hit a small pocket of air about two feet off the ground , wobbled just a bit, and settled down on the grass with a slight sideways motion. One wingtip touched down and swung the sailplane sideways about 180 degrees. ( this is something that happens all the time with all my sailplanes, no problems, just skids on the grass) Well, when the tail swung around it hit the ground and literally disintigrated the tail boom. I'm talking splintered pieces from halfway down the boom, all the way to the tail. Second flight, minor slide, and the boom disintigrated. I looked at the boom and realized that it's just a plastic tube, it looks like carbon but I think it's hard plastic.

Anyway I'm just letting you know in case someone is looking to purchase this sailplane they will need to reinforce the boom. It flew nice and looks good too, but it's a paper tiger, the boom won't take much of a bump. I have the original Fling, 42" wing, (Kyosho Swing) and I have over a thousand flights on it and it still flies great, this was one of the reasons I chose the Fling 2M, but this seems to be a different bird. Anyway I'm off to convert my Fling 2M to a homemade job.

Later, jimmy
Jimmy James is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy James
Last edited by Jimmy James; Apr 22, 2006 at 03:38 PM. Reason: News on my repair
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2006, 02:31 PM
PNF
Los Gatos, CA
Joined May 2005
4,422 Posts
See my thread at: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=499663

GP is getting a black eye over their crappy products lately, and its nobody's fault but their own - and ours for buying them. I gave them a chance, and they failed. Now I'm in the "anti-GP" camp and will remain so for quite some time, I'm afraid.
infopimp is offline Find More Posts by infopimp
Old Apr 12, 2006, 03:29 PM
Punta Gorda, FL
Joined Apr 2002
4,952 Posts
I agree! Don't buy low quality (cheap) ARF sailplanes from GP (or Dynaflite).
Ollie is offline Find More Posts by Ollie
Old Apr 12, 2006, 03:43 PM
Mr. Head
Redding, CA
Joined Feb 2006
90 Posts
Jimmy:

I am sorry to hear about your misfortune. Quality control (or the lack of) seems to be a real issue these days. I recently bought a BOT ARF to knock around with while I was working on more involved projects, thinking it was more or less a throw away to play with. On a nice easy toss to check the trim I also had one wing touch down and cause the Bird to spin 180 degrees. When I went to pick it up, the fuselage had severly cracked in the area behind the wing.

I called Dynaflite, and was sent to Hobby Services where they told me to box it up and send it to them, and they would replace it. This has been some time ago, and other than an e-mail letting me know they have it, they have not even looked at it. I mean how long does it take to look and say, "yup, this one is a piece of s@#*, send out a new one. All I get back when I e-mail them to inquire is a canned response that they are really busy and will get to me in their own good time.

I am quickly coming to the realization, or re-realization, that if I want it done right, I will have to do it myself. Good luck on getting any warranty support from GP or Hobby Services. You would probably get a better response by talking to your dog.

The bottom line is that the only way any of us will get any quality products and service from these companies is to stick together through these type of forums, and hurt them in their bottom line. I am just tired of getting absolutley no quality or service for my money.

Sick and tired of it, Randy . . . . . . . .
c55834 is offline Find More Posts by c55834
Last edited by c55834; Apr 12, 2006 at 04:57 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 05:23 PM
Denton, TX
Joined Dec 2002
569 Posts
Glad you informed us.. I was even starting to think GP had a good one for once. Looks like it was too good to be true.
JS
wingsnapper is offline Find More Posts by wingsnapper
Old Apr 12, 2006, 05:45 PM
Thoughts Become Things
Joined Jan 2005
185 Posts
Hi,
Just for the heck of it I called Tower Hobbies, whom I purchased the Fling from, and I asked them what Great Planes policy was on returns or repairs and they said that Great Planes will not cover anything damaged in flight. I thought this would be the case but I thought I would check anyway. Tower Hobbies were real nice about it.

There isn't even a scuff on the horizontal or vertical stabilizers, but that boom is shredded. Oh well guys, you live and learn. Randy you are right, if you want it done right build it yourself.

Later, Jimmy
Last edited by Jimmy James; Apr 13, 2006 at 04:18 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 05:53 PM
Swim Bike Run Repeat
Rapid City Regional, South Dakota, United States
Joined Mar 2004
850 Posts
Love mine

I love my 2m Fling. Had a 21 min test flight today.

the boom does seem fragile bu I will crioss that bridge etc...

The covering on mine was awesome and everthing fit really well.

If somebody thinks they are stuck and bought one I might just have to buy it from them. It flys very well for what it is. I am not sorry.

Dan

This soundls like round 2 and round 1 was the dlg
Chuckhead1 is offline Find More Posts by Chuckhead1
Old Apr 12, 2006, 08:07 PM
Punta Gorda, FL
Joined Apr 2002
4,952 Posts
See:
http://macqc.com/orderForm.php
Part No.45102
Description.550 Taper
ID (in.).55-.25
Wall (in.) .035
Weight (lbs./ft) .032
Length (in.) 36
stock
rw cello-wrap
$16.14

You can refit the boom with a real quality carbon tube.
Ollie is offline Find More Posts by Ollie
Old Apr 12, 2006, 08:44 PM
Denton, TX
Joined Dec 2002
569 Posts
I looked at the insturction manual online and think I may have found the problem. The tail is screwed on through the boom with nuts and bolts.. There are just too many things that don't have any give being attached at a critical place.I'd say that one should just glue the pieces on and patch with a piece of kevlar or something around the bottom. Further you could just wrap the boom entirely with some tow and ca for good measure. What do ya think?
JS
wingsnapper is offline Find More Posts by wingsnapper
Old Apr 12, 2006, 09:46 PM
Box Elder, SD
Joined May 2002
1,473 Posts
E-Flite's "Mini Ugly Stick" mounts the tail feather the same way and I've never had a problem with that method. look at how many of those things that are out there. To each his own I guess, sorta like compairing different brands of cars I guess.

CrashinJ
nr5a is offline Find More Posts by nr5a
Old Apr 13, 2006, 09:43 AM
db1
don betz
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2004
571 Posts
CrashinJ, The Mini Ugly Stick doesn't mount its tail feathers to a carbon fiber boom tube though. Carbon tubes loose a HUGE amount of their strength when you put holes in them.

GP adds a wood insert then mills the end of the tube in half to mount the tail feathers. The original Fling had the tail feathers glued onto the wood insert, the Fling 2M has it bolted. With the boom milled in half AND the holes for the bolts AND the holes for the pushrods they are asking for trouble. Id think some reinforcement in this area might be wise. I would have preferred to run the pushrods down the outside of the boom.

Im not totally bashing GP or the Fling 2M. I love my original Fling and will probably get one of these as well. A lot of people like to jump on the bandwagon and bash the big arf maker but I think if you take it for what it is and try to make the most of it, it is probably a good thing. I could be totally wrong, I hope Im not as it will be a $90 mistake if I am, but I think Ill be happy. Well see.

db
db1 is offline Find More Posts by db1
Old Apr 13, 2006, 10:00 AM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James
Hi,
Just for the heck of it I called Tower Hobbies, whom I purchased the Fling from, and I asked them what Great Planes policy was on returns or repairs and they said that Great Planes will not cover anything damaged in flight. I thought this would be the case but I thought I would check anyway. Tower Hobbies were real nice about it but they said I am out of luck as far as GP doing anything .
Err.... Ummm... Tower Hobbies is Great Planes. :-) Kind of like calling up Dodge and saying "oh, Crysler makes that part, and they won't replace it due to damage while driving, but I wish we could help you!". :-)

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Apr 13, 2006, 10:21 AM
No Plane - No Gain
Platteville, CO
Joined Jan 2005
1,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James
Hi,
Just for the heck of it I called Tower Hobbies, whom I purchased the Fling from, and I asked them what Great Planes policy was on returns or repairs and they said that Great Planes will not cover anything damaged in flight. I thought this would be the case but I thought I would check anyway. Tower Hobbies were real nice about it but they said I am out of luck as far as GP doing anything .
Later, Jimmy
Technically speaking, your boom wasn't damaged in flight. It was in contact with the ground at the time the defect showed itself. The hard part is convincing them of that fact
TomO is offline Find More Posts by TomO
Old Apr 13, 2006, 10:50 AM
Thoughts Become Things
Joined Jan 2005
185 Posts
Great Planes Comes Through!

Hi,
Just want to let you all know that Great Planes has agreed to repair my Fling 2M at no cost to me!!!! I am very pleased with their service. I wrote about what happened and I got a speedy reply from them saying that they will send me the parts needed to fix the Fling at no cost. Anyway, things do workout sometimes. I will be sure to reinforce the new boom before I go flying with the new parts installed.

Later, Jimmy
Old Apr 13, 2006, 11:54 AM
Wind Powered
United States, CA, Goleta
Joined Oct 2004
538 Posts
george@dream-flight is offline Find More Posts by george@dream-flight