HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2002, 06:36 PM
Tee Sqaured
Langley, B.C, Canada
Joined Jun 2001
4,548 Posts
fried 3 GWS A motors in 5 weeks!

I got a Pico stick fd about 5 weeks ago. on the first day, the motor flew out of the airplane! the nexet morning i found it, but dew had soalked into it and ruined, so, we contaceed out local hobby shop, and they said talk to GWS, so we did, and they said "send us the whole plane and we will get you a new one", but the plane is already flown, so we had no coice but to buy a brand new motor! rats! now, the new one got fried in under 3 total hours of run time, but i got a new plane at this point since my other one was REALY beat up. and this new one is dead after only 1-1/2 to 2 hours of rin time?! and GWS wont fix it for me!!!!!!! this is costing me a hell of a lot of money, and the hobby shop couldent bee happier, they have already scammed me 80 bucks cuz"we can't fix it". were can i get a motor for a good price(under 7 bucks apece) that will last atleast 20 hours?im not abuseing the motor, i let it cool after each fight, and im only running 6 150 mah cells.

HELP ME!!!!!

Thomas
Thomas Manson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Manson
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2002, 10:25 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
I've had IPS motors last for >20 hours and <3 hours. They seem to vary quite a bit from motor to motor. I'm not aware of a direct replacement for under $7. There are other motors with different characteristics that require different gearing and battery packs. It depends on how far you are willing to go to save a few bucks. In some countries, the GWS aircraft are also offered with a direct drive Speed 280 option. These motors tend to live a long time, and there is less to go wrong without a gearbox, but they do draw more current than the small IPS motors. They work well on 7 cells with the Gunther 5x4.7 white plastic prop (Zagi prop). But you end up with a heavier aircraft and different flight characteristics.
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old Jul 06, 2002, 11:41 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Are you running a heat sink on your motors? If not, get one before you put another new motor on there. You should get about 15 hours out of a motor with heat sink. Also, I assume you are replacing just the can motor and not the whole gearbox? There are lots of places that sell the motor, I usually get mine from Todd. 10 bucks and shipping is fast:

http://www.toddsmodels.com/smallbrushedmotors.htm

Might be a better source in Canada, maybe someone else will mention it if there is.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Jul 07, 2002, 07:25 AM
Ancaster, Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2000
2,525 Posts
What I think is the flyman's problems is that he is using a Jeti 110 ESC, which has a VERY low frame rate and may have fried the little brushes on the tiny GWS motor.

Can anyone clarify?
Paul Penney is offline Find More Posts by Paul Penney
Old Jul 07, 2002, 09:30 AM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
>> Jeti 110 ESC

Yikes, 1 kHz switching frequency. I didn't realize they still made ESCs with that low a frame rate.
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old Jul 07, 2002, 01:08 PM
Tee Sqaured
Langley, B.C, Canada
Joined Jun 2001
4,548 Posts
no, the motor is not fried!!!!:D

It will only fly on calm and cool days. i just had a purfict fight with it 10 minits ago, it's not fried after all! on hot days, the proformice is very poor, but, erley mornings, calm evenigs and cool days are the best time to fly this bird.

*whew*!

Thomas.
Thomas Manson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Manson
Old Jul 08, 2002, 11:19 AM
Joined Jul 2002
157 Posts
I been study IPS ( STD, DX ) motor and found in stick, it was used to very close to its limit. In another word, it was used closed to its max. output point but far away from the max effency point. Of course, it is not safe for the motor.

In fact, the DX draw less current but have better output than the STD. DX is a very good motor when it was used correctly.

The ISP-DX should be used:
Voltage Max efficacy Max output
6.0V between 0.82A - 2.19A
7.2V between 0.95A - 2.77A

The ISP-STD should be used:
Voltage Max efficacy Max output
6.0V between 0.66A - 1.94A
7.2V between 0.76A - 2.20A

Here show voltage but not number of cell, because different cell always has different volt drop. I been try DX with Maxx product's 7X5.7 inch silver color propeller, it work just at DX's Max efficacy point, very good for small airplane.

Hope you enjoy your flight.
enjoycht is offline Find More Posts by enjoycht
Old Jul 08, 2002, 12:57 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
==on hot days, the proformice is very poor, but, erley mornings, calm evenigs and cool days are the best time to fly this bird. ==

H-E-A-T---S-I-N-K
Old Jul 08, 2002, 03:39 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Is this the replacement motor for the stock Tiger Moth at ToddsModels?

Promax 102 Carbon Motor 7.2v w/14t
$10.00
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Jul 08, 2002, 03:48 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Yes, that's the one! Thankfully GWS takes all the pain out of motor replacement because the motor already has the pinion, wire leads and capacitor installed.
Old Jul 08, 2002, 03:52 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Cool! I am going to replace mine and start using a heatsink too. I think mine has lost to much punch after 45+ 20min flights. I am moving up to the 10X4.7 prop too for that little extra punch on Floats
Old Jul 08, 2002, 04:02 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
==I think mine has lost to much punch after 45+ 20min flights==

I'm sure you're right. It 's really pretty amazing those motors last as long as they do if you've ever seen how tiny the brushes are! I got about 30 x 30 minute flights out of 2 different motors before fade was noticeable, so we both got nearly the same lifespan (900 minutes).

I'm trying a different replacement for my TM, a GWS EDF motor on a D gearbox. I fried the EDF motor in testing because I screwed it up putting the pinion on, but performance was greatly improved. I'm waiting for another motor to arrive.
Old Jul 08, 2002, 04:06 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Tres, does EDF stand for Electric Ducted Fan? Like the jet fans?
Old Jul 08, 2002, 04:07 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Oh, also will a DXA motor still draw the same amps as it dies?
Old Jul 08, 2002, 04:09 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Does it sputter a little in flight? Mine started doing it the flight before the one it would not break out on step on the floats....