Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by rogerflies, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 02:57 AM
Thomasville, GA 31792
Joined Apr 2002
1,060 Posts
Trader Rating: 3
For Sale
Chevy starter with dual ball bearings and winch drum for a sport winch.

Here's a sport winch project I started a while back, but never finished. The Chevy starter motor was a recent rebuild which I fittted with ball bearings and vented end caps. I think the starter was for a small block V-8 or I-6. It would be suitable for planes up to six pounds.

The drum fits around the end of the motor case with about 1/8" clearance. The drum is about 5 1/2" in diameter with a 2" hub that's almost 4" long. The end plates are tapered slightly. The drum is held in place by the bolt on the end of the shaft, and it's driven through three 5/32" pins that engage the splines on the shaft.

The drum and the motor end caps are machined from 6061-T6 aluminum. The drum is made to use with a flat (serpentine) belt for braking.

There are several holes drilled and tapped into the motor case to make mounting easier, or you could build a cradle and secure the motor with large Breeze clamps. One of the holes can be used for attaching the ground lead.

I'm asking $225 for the motor and drum, plus shipping from ZIP 31792. The motor and drum will have to be shipped in separate boxes, since I can't figure out a way to pack the assembly safely in one box. The motor package will weigh about 15 pounds. The dum package will weigh about 3 pounds.

I can make up a set of cables using #4 welding cable and crimp-type terminals for a little extra. It'll probably be about $12, depending on the length you want from the motor to the battery.

Roger

Note: The little drive coupling shown in the photo of the motor wasn't used and isn't included.
rogerflies is offline Find More Posts by rogerflies
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2006, 02:49 PM
Thomasville, GA 31792
Joined Apr 2002
1,060 Posts
Trader Rating: 3
OK, I'll lower the asking price to $200, plus shipping and insurance. Surely somebody needs a winch and is willing to do some of the work themselves.

Roger
rogerflies is offline Find More Posts by rogerflies
Closed Thread