SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 06, 2002, 12:06 PM
Kings Park, New York, USA
Joined Sep 2001
813 Posts
Transmittor locks in up position! Ouch!!!

I have a HiTec Focus 3 AM. Has its share of hours on it.

I went sloping in crazy conditions yesterday, did a wiggle up and down and left and right, all OK and launch.

Aeroplane flies for 2 seconds, and loops overhead, behind the bluff and into the trees!

The stick jammed in the near full up position.

i disassembled in back of wagon (needed to borrow a broom to get undamaged zag out of tree after climbing to top)

it ends up the up down gimbel points are pins that are not held in place anyway i can see!!!!

1 slid out and jammed, and i mean jammed the works up but good.

I pushed pins back in place, took a paperclip and melted some bias holes (heated with bic lighter) and filled with 4 minute JB weld.

OK did a test, paying especial attention to up and down and relaunched. 2 seconds and BAM. For the life of me I do not know how the reverse switch got moved, but the ailerons were reversed.

third launch worked fine, except for sandstorms (30 plus winds sends sand up and over) happening now and again.

Humble pie, lose your elevator!

I have a few more Focus 3s, and think they will need a looking at.

Later
Ron parigoris
rparigoris is offline Find More Posts by rparigoris
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2002, 08:29 AM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Apr 2001
162 Posts
Ron,

I have had the same problem with my Focus 3 am. Left it in the car for a few days -- very warm/hot outside--and the next day "frozen" in the up position. I did not discover until at my slope site. I pulled on the stick down very very hard (I know, very risky move) and it "broke free". Believe it or not, this transmitter still works, and I have not had any problems since.

Dave
daveh is offline Find More Posts by daveh
Old Jul 07, 2002, 11:29 AM
Kings Park, New York, USA
Joined Sep 2001
813 Posts
Hey daveh

Hey daveh

I think that HiTec made these units with a tight fit to hold pins in place.

I think bright sun or heat can expand plastic and allow pins to slip out.

Design needs rethinking.

Well worth it to hold in position better. I melted a few small bias holes with paperclip heated with bic lighter and 4 minute JB welded in place.

Ron Parigoris
rparigoris is offline Find More Posts by rparigoris
Old Jul 08, 2002, 11:25 AM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Apr 2001
162 Posts
Ron,

I think you are absolutely correct.

Also, I have not had this problem with my Hitec Focus 3 FM, and I have left it in the car overnight a few times when the temp outside has been over 85 degrees. Who knows......

Dave
daveh is offline Find More Posts by daveh