HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 10, 2006, 07:01 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
Discussion
36 Years ago today..the Beatles

announced they were breaking up.Im glad I wasnt old enough to remember/understand it as I probably woulda cried my eyes out.
rumme is offline Find More Posts by rumme
Old Apr 10, 2006, 07:08 PM
E-flyer since 1981
Joined Oct 2000
1,494 Posts
I listen to Beatles EVERYDAY!
Michael in Toronto is offline Find More Posts by Michael in Toronto
Old Apr 10, 2006, 07:19 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in Toronto
I listen to Beatles EVERYDAY!
COOL...Imo they are the greatest group/songwriters that ever existed and ever will exist. Ecspecially if one considers the equipemnt and lack of technology back then. No keyboards/sampling/midi and all orchestration work had to be done by real muscians playing real instruments and then factor all this in with them recording on a analog 4 track machine {most of todays mainstream studios are 48 track digital or more } . Utterly astounding what they were able to accomplsih with the minimal technology at their hands. Of course alot of credit has to go to George Martin, their producer
Old Apr 10, 2006, 07:41 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumme
COOL...Imo they are the greatest group.......that ever existed and ever will exist.

Nah, that'd be Led Zeppelin
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Apr 10, 2006, 07:47 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usta Bee
Nah, that'd be Led Zeppelin
Id give them 2nd place..actually id say Zepplin is the greatest rock group of all time..while the Beatles are the greatest pop group/songwriters of all time.The Stones dont even make my top 10 list although I appreciate that theyve lasted for so long as a band
Old Apr 10, 2006, 07:54 PM
E-flyer since 1981
Joined Oct 2000
1,494 Posts
The Beatles are the most influential and important pop/rock group ever.
Michael in Toronto is offline Find More Posts by Michael in Toronto
Old Apr 10, 2006, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the Fish!
Land of cajuns
Joined Dec 2001
1,066 Posts
I agree with loki Zeppelin
the Beatles pop music....they did Write some kewl tunes once they found drugs..
aerogel is offline Find More Posts by aerogel
Old Apr 10, 2006, 08:23 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerogel
I agree with loki Zeppelin
the Beatles pop music....they did Write some kewl tunes once they found drugs..
im defintiely more of a fan of the Beatles music from 1965 onwards {starting mostly with rubber soul and the real stronghold of thier expiremantaiton with drugs} With that said, even earlier Beatles songs dispalyed incredible songwriting/melodies/chord progreesions/harmonies/etc that had never been done before.They broke all the rules and got away with it
Old Apr 10, 2006, 10:19 PM
Suspended Account
kentucky
Joined Dec 2003
577 Posts
Comparing Led Zeppelin to the Beatles?

....like comparing comic books to Shakespeare... not that there isn't a place for comic books.

I just read Geoff Emerick's book on the recording years '66 through '69. (Here, There and Everywhere)

(Emerick invented 'flanging' among other innovations)

I was a recording engineer for several years and couldn't put the book down...read it cover to cover in one sitting.

Highly recommended to all those who have the ability (and the ear) to appreciate what the Beatles did and how they did it.
badaltitude is offline Find More Posts by badaltitude
Old Apr 10, 2006, 10:39 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
Yes indeed... I havent read that book but am aware of the monumental strides the beatles and the studio guys behind them made as far as recording processes..flanging..ADT {automatic double tracking} backwards recordings of things like guitar solos/drum cymbals, compression techniques,distortion..and on and on..
Old Apr 11, 2006, 02:43 AM
Love & a Molotov cocktail
on a boat on the river cam
Joined Jan 2005
615 Posts
Sorry but most of the beatles output was sticky sweet sentimental pap designed to appeal to the masses. OK they did some "experimental" music but the psychedelic scene was doing that better they were just trying to stay current.
Punkie is offline Find More Posts by Punkie
Old Apr 11, 2006, 05:52 AM
Thanks for the Fish!
Land of cajuns
Joined Dec 2001
1,066 Posts
Well Punkie Floyd is my Fav....over Zep
Tonal Perfection in a band the carpenters that chick voice is just Erie...the antic Christ of my other favorite female vocalist Nick's
aerogel is offline Find More Posts by aerogel
Old Apr 11, 2006, 06:51 AM
Suspended Account
kentucky
Joined Dec 2003
577 Posts
Quote:
Sorry but most of the beatles output was sticky sweet sentimental pap designed to appeal to the masses. OK they did some "experimental" music but the psychedelic scene was doing that better they were just trying to stay current.

Oh yeah...suddenly I remember all those records featuring sitars before Norwegian Wood....and all those records featuring guitar feedback (howlround) before I Feel Fine...and all those records that used Mellotrons before Strawberry Fields....and who can forget all those records featuring the close miking of strings that Eleanor Rigby copied from...

And the list goes on and on.....

My mistake. Not
badaltitude is offline Find More Posts by badaltitude
Old Apr 11, 2006, 08:07 AM
Love & a Molotov cocktail
on a boat on the river cam
Joined Jan 2005
615 Posts
So the darlings of the 60s music scene were the first to be allowed to use new and experimental techniques in the studio, what a surprise. Just because they were the first to be allowed to does not mean they were the first to want to. If you’ve got a new instrument and want it to sell, give it to the world’s most famous band, free publicity. Yes some of their stuff is good but to be honest most of Paul McCartney’s lyrics are awful, more sugary than a sweet shop.
People, please think, they were just a pop band not some immortal deitys.
Punkie is offline Find More Posts by Punkie
Old Apr 11, 2006, 08:45 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkie
So the darlings of the 60s music scene were the first to be allowed to use new and experimental techniques in the studio, what a surprise. Just because they were the first to be allowed to does not mean they were the first to want to. If you’ve got a new instrument and want it to sell, give it to the world’s most famous band, free publicity. Yes some of their stuff is good but to be honest most of Paul McCartney’s lyrics are awful, more sugary than a sweet shop.
People, please think, they were just a pop band not some immortal deitys.
Mcarteny was definitely more melody/musically oreinted while Lennon was more lyricaly/expeiermantation oriented. Perfect mix IMO.Im not sure how many people on this site are bonafide songwriters {I dont mean writing 1 chord progression and putting some lyrics to that and calling it a complete song} but I tell you what, try and sit down and write a song as masterfully pefect as Eleanor Rigby {both lyrically,melodically,structurally,orchestraly,etc } when youve done that send me a P.M and I will give you my address to send your composition to me as I would like to hear your masterpiece and compliment you on your skills.Im aslo amazed at how people forgot Mcarteny wrote things like Helter Skelter which to many people is considered to be the very 1st heavy metal/hard rock style semi-hit song.I personally realize how hard it is to write great melodies in a song and this is why you seldom if ever hear songs on the radio anymore that have lead melodies as striking and beutiful as Yesterday, Eleanor Rigby,Hey Jude..etc..I understand some people like lyrics over melodies {not me though :} but I can assure you that writing a great melody is just as hard if not harder then writing a song with a great set of lyrics that is unmelodic { but Im also a fan of Lennons expiremental stuff and many peopel dont even know that the intro to Strawberry Fiedls was Mcartneys idea and he actually wrote and played the mellotron part }