Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 10, 2006, 01:06 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,120 Posts
Build Log
Guillow's B-17G Electric Build

I've just started my build, and have gotten to the point where I have the left side fuse formers attached to the top/bottom/left side stringers.

I have not yet fully decided on power systems or covering, but I know I want 4 working motors (so I will probably go brushed to keep costs down, and use 2S TP1320 lipos). I'm hoping for a final AUW of no more than 24oz.

Now I need some advice. I have seen others talk about removing excess balsa from things like the fuse formers, wing ribs, etc. I'm wondering if I should do the same? It would be easy for me to still do the formers as I only have the left side attached at the moment. I can cut down the right side formers before attaching. I can also remove a lot of balsa from the main stringers as they are about 3/8" thick. I have a dremel and want to put it to good use.

Is this advisable? I want to come in as light as possible, but don't want to weaken the structure too much, or remove balsa where it might be needed later in the build. Also, I will have fixed gear, and don't plan on adding any extras other than what is included in the kit. I plan on using 4 channels only (speed, elev, rudder, ailerons).

Appreciate any suggestions you guys may have. I will post pics as I progress.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Last edited by crxmanpat; Apr 10, 2006 at 01:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2006, 09:34 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,120 Posts
Here's a quick update on progress so far. The fuse is completely framed and ribbed. I will eventually take the dremel and slice off the top portion of the fuse for use as a hatch. It will be secured with small dowels in the front, and magnets in the back.

Working on the wings now.

Pat
Old Apr 14, 2006, 11:23 PM
Kansas is windy.
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2003
1,512 Posts
Looking good Pat! I'll chime in here if it's not to late and say yes, you probably can take up to 50% off the inside of those formers, for starters. The strength would still be very adequate, IMO. I did the guillows Stearman and ended up removing lots of the rear formers, but kept the front ones mostly intact for strength. I also cut new ribs and tail feather parts using much lighter balsa. The wood in a lot of these Guillow kits is pretty heavy and they are often built heavier than they need to be. You shouldnt need to worry about extra strengthening except maybe around the landing gear or other areas that will absorb the impact of a hard landing. Guillows is right when they say "Build light to fly right"!

Keep up the pics.

Phil
pburress is offline Find More Posts by pburress
Old Apr 15, 2006, 01:35 AM
New Zealand, Otago, Harwood
Joined Sep 2004
2,389 Posts
Has anyone done a B-24 conversion? I have the kit in my stash for "sometime" and would be keen to read any build threads. I was thinking 4 brushed 280s, Lipos and hopefully retracts
Nev
Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi
Old Apr 15, 2006, 01:41 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,120 Posts
Nev, search the Electric forums with the word "Guillow". I'm pretty sure I've seen at least one B-24 build thread in there somewhere.

Phil, I'm pretty much going stock build for now. I may dremel the wing ribs to take off a little weight. From what I've read, the weight savings is marginal. The fuse is nice and strong. Can't hardly twist it at all. I have a B-29 up next. If I come in heavy on this one, I will modify that build accordingly.

Well, back to cutting balsa...

Pat
Old Apr 16, 2006, 06:46 AM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,655 Posts
Pat,

Just discovered your thread and it's nice to see another B-17 under construction. If you're going to do yours pretty much stock from the kit, and mine will be built from the plans with a few mods, I'll bet we'll be able to commiserate and compare techniques .

Your fuse looks really nice. When I was a kid, I built the Guillow's B-25. It uses the same crutch and 3/32" stringer design as the B-17 and I remember how rigid that fuse was with all those stringers. Mine flew control-line with two Cox .049s and I still have it after 25 years, which is a real testament to the strength of the design given my flying skills back then .

I did a Guillow's Hellcat (the big one) a while back and went crazy with my Dremel, removing excess former and keel wood, and drilling a million holes in all the wing ribs. I wish I had weighed the airframe before and after, because that would have given me an idea of how useful all that extra work really was. If you decide to lighten yours up, maybe you could do before and after weigh-ins to give us all a better idea of whether the effort is worthwhile. Guillow's wood is often heavy (in my experience) so it might be a good thing to do. Then again, ESB (another E-Zoner) converted the Guillow's B-17 a few years back, and his AUW ended up around 35 ounces, if memory serves me, so you may not have to take heroic measures to keep the weight of yours reasonable.

Any thoughts on motor options?

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Apr 16, 2006, 04:15 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,120 Posts
Steve,

Since I have all the wing ribs cut and prepped, I will weigh them as they are now, and after adding lightening holes to see how much of a difference there is. It may be a few days before I can do any more work though.

As for motors, I'm thinking of 4 250 brushed cans. I can run them all off a single ESC and a decent size lipo. Since all I will do is 4 servos and 4 motors, I will only need a single battery, which should help with overall weight. I have the GWS C-130 and it runs on 4 EDP-50s with a 2S TP1320 lipo. Flies nice and scale on this setup and will even do some limited aerobatics. Since the nacells are larger on the B-17, I can go with a slightly bigger motor.

Pat
Old Aug 27, 2006, 09:04 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,120 Posts
Wow, I set this aside for a while in favor of some other builds, but I drug the wood back out today and am continuing the build. I will work on it here and there over the next few months.

Working on the wings now. Lot's of extra stuff to do as I will need to add the ailerons, decide on fixed gear or retracts, and figure out which motors to use and how to mount them. Not to mention wiring for the electronics.

I will post pics as progress continues.

Pat
Old Sep 15, 2006, 10:32 PM
kwhabq
NEW MEXICO
Joined Nov 2004
628 Posts
"I will post pics as progress continues.

Pat"

Been a long silence Pat, any progress on the build?

Ken
kwhabq is online now Find More Posts by kwhabq
Old Sep 15, 2006, 11:36 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,120 Posts
I got most of the left wing framed up, then found out that I have to cut the leading edge stock down to a taper. Set it aside again until I get my scroll saw out. Garage is a mess, and a garage sale is happening next Saturday. Now that the weather is cooling off finally, I can stand to do some work out there. I have a feeling this will be my winter project this year.

Right now I'm being sidetracked by the GWS P-38 release. I'm on the early bird list, and it should be shipping next Friday. That's going to keep me busy for the next month.

Pat
Old Sep 16, 2006, 08:08 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
Pat, It's NEVER a bad idea to add lightness! If it turns out too light, it's easy to add ballast. If it comes out too heavy, it'll always be too heavy.

PAT
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Old Jan 22, 2007, 03:03 AM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,557 Posts
Hi Pat,
Any news?

Phil

Oh btw, can anyone tell me the diameter of the main wheels on this kit?
Smokin' Beaver is offline Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver
Last edited by Smokin' Beaver; Jan 22, 2007 at 05:43 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 02:38 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,120 Posts
Wow, I haven't even touched it since my last post! And it'll probably be a little while before I get back to it again. This weekend is the 3rd Annual Arizona Electric Festival, and I'm signed up as a pilot.

Once that is over, I have one of Pat Tritle's DC-6's to build, a Strange Bird from BlueSkyRC, 3 GWS foamy warbirds (P-51, Me-109, Spitty) that will be my first glass/retract projects, plus whatever else I may pick up at the fest this weekend.

The DC-6 build will give me a good idea of how I will set up the B-17 as they are about the same size, although I'm sure the DC-6 will come out lighter. And I also have a Guillow's B-29 I got off eBay last year as the kit is out of production.

Man I've got a lot of building to do!

Pat
Old Jan 22, 2007, 02:39 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Beaver
Oh btw, can anyone tell me the diameter of the main wheels on this kit?
I think they are 2" IIRC. I will try to remember to check my kit tonight when I get home. I have easy access to the box.

Pat
Old Jan 22, 2007, 05:39 PM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,557 Posts
Cheers Pat.
It's on my to do list but the wheels need to be >1.75" for my park.
I'm hovering on E-bay to get one cheap but it could be a long wait.
Ta for the update & info.

Phil
Smokin' Beaver is offline Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver