The Flings are covered in Monocote.
equest is offline Find More Posts by equest
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2007, 05:12 AM
Joined Oct 2001
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul
One came into the LHS yesterday.. I thought, from the price, it was a kit..
as an ARF, the price is unbeatable!
Took it home, added a motor on a pylon... eFlite 400 outrunner, APC 9x4.7 prop, Electrifly C25 ESC, Kokam 3c910, 2 Cirrus CS2400BB servos. AUW 29 oz.
Not decided as to whether or not to epoxy the wing joiner in place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfetterly
Got my 2M Fling Monday, cut the nose off and installed a 2212-34 AXI with a 11x8 folder, Jeti 12, 2 Hitec 65HB servos and 2 cell 1800 battery. AUW 25 oz. First flight yesterday was great considering it was a bit gusty for a lightweight. AXI suggests a 12x8, I'll try that next for a better climb. I was impressed enough with the construction and handling that I'll buy another for Hi-start or gentle winch use. Great deal for $89.
SP: pod-mounted motor in a tractor configuration
JCFetterley: in line motor at the nose, foldable prop

What are the tradeoffs in the above 2 power configurations?

Wouldn't the JCF system w/foldable prop have less drag than SP (a feathered prop)?

I like the SP's system for an AP system (stick a camera in the nose). SP, can you comment on location & thrust-angle of your system?

I was originally thinking of the Multiplex Easy Glider for an AP platform, & putting an electric motor in a pod. Tractor or Pusher?

Would the Slinger 2M be a better glider than the Easy Glider in the sense that the wing is more rigid? (the Epalor foam wing on the Easy Glider flexes & bends)
byen00 is offline Find More Posts by byen00
Old Feb 14, 2007, 11:51 AM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,370 Posts
The pod mount is more agreeable to me for any potential changing the plane back to a TD unpowered version. Just split the wings remove the pod.
A nose mounted motor is kinda in there for good.
The pod thrust line is tilted up just a bit.. it tended to push towards the ground on hand-launching.
For AP, the camera must be small, and probably external, there's no room in the fuselage for much of anything.
On those planes I use the Aiptek 1.3M SD on a slide mount that fits under the wing at the fuselage..
Folding props are good. Somewhat impractical on a pod, if one blade can get hung up on the pod when folded. The motor then can't be restarted.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2007, 07:46 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,116 Posts
Battery question

I have joined the Fling club. I like the simplicity of it all
My first question (I am trying to make this a thermal trainer), what batteries are best for a fling with no motor? I know the batt needs to go in the nose, and there isn't much room. I know there has to be a simple answer to this AA batteries? Help please..... Fred
Crowfly is offline Find More Posts by Crowfly
Old Mar 03, 2007, 08:06 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,116 Posts
OOps

Sorry I just read this topic was covered on the previous page
.Fred
Crowfly is offline Find More Posts by Crowfly
Old Mar 03, 2007, 11:58 PM
Fresno, Calif
Joined Aug 2005
888 Posts
I saw one of these on the slope today and could not believe the performance. It was built stock, but was really amazing considering the price. I just ordered mine tonight.

I just read this whole thread and will use some of the great mods posted. I really like keeping it two wings(no glue).

Fred
fredeich is offline Find More Posts by fredeich
Old Mar 04, 2007, 10:40 AM
Box Elder, SD
Joined May 2002
1,473 Posts
We have a couple of these in our area and they are all 2 piece wings. None of us glued the wings together. We put them together at the field and tape across the center joint. We hi-start them and slope them and have never had any problems with the wings.

CrashinJ
nr5a is offline Find More Posts by nr5a
Old Mar 04, 2007, 10:45 AM
Box Elder, SD
Joined May 2002
1,473 Posts
Has anyone added a power pod to one? how?

CrashinJ
nr5a is offline Find More Posts by nr5a
Old Mar 04, 2007, 11:49 AM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashin J
Has anyone added a power pod to one? how?

CrashinJ
Post #91
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2007, 10:54 PM
Fresno, Calif
Joined Aug 2005
888 Posts
Does anyone know the size of the rubber bands that hold the wing on? I have found numbr 62 and number 64.
Thanks
Fred
Old Mar 05, 2007, 09:48 AM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,340 Posts
I use #64, but double them - from the rear dowel to the front and then back to the rear. I also used yellow rubber bands - looks neat with them.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2007, 03:19 PM
Fresno, Calif
Joined Aug 2005
888 Posts
Thanks Ivan. They are on order.
Fred
Old Mar 08, 2007, 02:06 PM
Fresno, Calif
Joined Aug 2005
888 Posts
I am going to keep mine in a 2 wing configeration. What do you do with the plywood support that is supposed to be glued at the trailing edge where the wings meet? Is it even needed?

Thanks
Fred
Old Mar 08, 2007, 02:51 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,340 Posts
I put pieces of velcro on the wing halves and the trailing edge doubler. When assembling the wing, I join the wing halves, put the doubler and then tape the doubler and the wing halves together with packing tape. Never had a problem, including on the high start.

The doubler is there to prevent the rubber bands from crushing the TE of the wing.

Ed (aeajr), thank you for the ideas!

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2007, 03:36 PM
Fresno, Calif
Joined Aug 2005
888 Posts
Thanks, much appreciated.

Fred