HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2007, 09:10 PM
Valparaiso, IN
Joined Apr 2005
715 Posts
Increasing portability of the Fling 2M

Based on the enthusiastic comments in this forum, I acquired a Fling 2M. As it will be a traveling plane, I'll definitely use all the hints for a 2 piece wing. Now, how about a removable stab? Can I just use the existing bolts and take the ship apart occasionally for long trips? I'd appreciate any ideas.
Thanks in advance,
Jim Deck
Jim Deck is offline Find More Posts by Jim Deck
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2007, 06:41 AM
Punta Gorda, FL
Joined Apr 2002
4,952 Posts
I would remove the bolts from tails. I would remove the tail surfaces and control tubes. I would mold a kevlar tube around the tail boom with releaseable film. The tail tube has length for stab chord plus the fin chord. After cured, take away the new tail tube from the boom. Cut the kevlar tail tube in two pieces, fore for stab and aft for fin. Glue the stab to the fore tail tube. Glue the fin to aft tail tube. Assemble the tail tubes (with tails) with the boom. Align the tails to the wing and tape around the tail tubes to the boom. Glue the control tubes outside of the boom.

Frank West used this tail mounting design about two decades ago. It works.
Ollie is offline Find More Posts by Ollie
Last edited by Ollie; Jan 21, 2007 at 07:36 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 07:50 AM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie
I would remove the bolts from tails. I would remove the tail surfaces and control tubes. I would mold a kevlar tube around the tail boom with releaseable film. The tail tube has length for stab chord plus the fin chord. After cured, take away the new tail tube from the boom. Cut the kevlar tail tube in two pieces, fore for stab and aft for fin. Glue the stab to the fore tail tube. Glue the fin to aft tail tube. Assemble the tail tubes (with tails) with the boom. Align the tails to the wing and tape around the tail tubes to the boom. Glue the control tubes outside of the boom.

Frank West used this tail mounting design about two decades ago. It
works.
Frank's tail mounting design disassembled it's self very nicely when he had a midair at the 93 LSF tournament. Frank had a difficult time finding his model in the 10 ft high corn field while the other model landed back on the Lawrenceville airport.
ChuckA is offline Find More Posts by ChuckA
Old Jan 21, 2007, 07:53 AM
Back behind The Controls
Toney, AL
Joined Dec 2005
1,016 Posts
It's not real pretty up close, but here is the Kevlar mod I made to my sons Fling 2M yesterday. A little Tow goes a long way...

Johnnie
Johnnie Paul is offline Find More Posts by Johnnie Paul
Old Jan 21, 2007, 04:41 PM
.: Looking for Thermals :.
Chile, Quinta Región de Valparaíso, Los Andes
Joined Jun 2002
841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie

Frank West used this tail mounting design about two decades ago. It works.
Does anyone have a picture of this set up?

Thanks in advance.
Ricardo RW is offline Find More Posts by Ricardo RW
Old Jan 21, 2007, 10:21 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnie Paul
It's not real pretty up close, but here is the Kevlar mod I made to my sons Fling 2M yesterday. A little Tow goes a long way...

Johnnie
What is the purpose of this mod?

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2007, 06:08 AM
Back behind The Controls
Toney, AL
Joined Dec 2005
1,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc
What is the purpose of this mod?

Ivan
Fling 2M's I am told, have snapped the tail group off on landings that were a little rough towards the rear. The problem is there are 2 major cuts at the rear of the pod boom for rudder and elevator exit points. Kevlar tow wrapped around these areas will help to reduce the tail group from snapping at these cut outs.

Johnnie
Old Jan 22, 2007, 09:00 AM
S.A.D. member
Joined Dec 2004
9,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnie Paul
Fling 2M's I am told, have snapped the tail group off on landings that were a little rough towards the rear. The problem is there are 2 major cuts at the rear of the pod boom for rudder and elevator exit points. Kevlar tow wrapped around these areas will help to reduce the tail group from snapping at these cut outs.

Johnnie
Those must be extremely rough landings to snap the tail boom. I've never had a problem with mine. I also saw another Fling 2M hit a fence with its tail pretty hard (the strong slope wind and the turbulence at the ridge blew it right into the fence) but there was absolutely no damage.

Same applies to my little Fling (not the DLG) - it has hit the ground and the fence on many occasions without any damage to the boom although I had some slight wing damage on a couple of occasions as.

Ivan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2007, 09:33 AM
Back behind The Controls
Toney, AL
Joined Dec 2005
1,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc
Those must be extremely rough landings to snap the tail boom. I've never had a problem with mine. I also saw another Fling 2M hit a fence with its tail pretty hard (the strong slope wind and the turbulence at the ridge blew it right into the fence) but there was absolutely no damage.

Same applies to my little Fling (not the DLG) - it has hit the ground and the fence on many occasions without any damage to the boom although I had some slight wing damage on a couple of occasions as.

Ivan
Never have flown a Fling, this was just a mod that came as a recomendation...you only bust it once, maybe I can deter that demon with this mod.

Johnnie
Old Jan 22, 2007, 09:56 AM
Denton, TX
Joined Dec 2002
569 Posts
What I did... Wrapped boom with some kind of thread(don't remember), added glass with epoxy under the screws to keep metal from contacing the carbon and distribute load.
wingsnapper is offline Find More Posts by wingsnapper
Old Jan 22, 2007, 06:52 PM
cousin Dave
Huntsville, Alabama
Joined Nov 2002
1,607 Posts
I also wrapped the spar, just like Johnnie, plus, I omitted the tail skeg. That left a hollow carbon slot in the boom, (rather large), so I filled it with balsa, CA'd it, and wrapped it with kevlar too.
GLIDERGIDER is offline Find More Posts by GLIDERGIDER
Old Jan 27, 2007, 02:19 PM
Valparaiso, IN
Joined Apr 2005
715 Posts
Battery pack for Fling 2M

I have my Fling 2M nearly ready to go. I notice that none of my flat receiver packs will fit. Now, I don't wish to build my own pack so what commercial packs can you recommend? I see Great Planes has one under its Electrifly label that's recommended in the instructions.
Jim Deck is offline Find More Posts by Jim Deck
Old Jan 27, 2007, 02:30 PM
Birmingham, AL
Joined Sep 2003
386 Posts
For my Fling I went to Batteries Plus and got them to make up a AAA square 4 pack of 850 mah Nimh cells while I waited. I supplied the leads and connector and it took about 10 minutes. Perfect fit in the nose of the Fling. I'm sure Radio Shack would do the same.
sleep4 is offline Find More Posts by sleep4
Old Jan 27, 2007, 03:09 PM
S.A.D. member
Joined Dec 2004
9,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleep4
For my Fling I went to Batteries Plus and got them to make up a AAA square 4 pack of 850 mah Nimh cells while I waited. I supplied the leads and connector and it took about 10 minutes. Perfect fit in the nose of the Fling. I'm sure Radio Shack would do the same.
I'm using a similar pack, which I made myself. It fits perfectly in the nose just behind the 1oz. lead that my Fling 2M needed to balance properly.

Ivan
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2007, 08:59 PM
Make Flying Fun
United States, MD, Lutherville-Timonium
Joined May 2003
1,420 Posts
Anyone know what brand film the Flings are covered in?
How did you exit the control linkage thru the fuse when placed on the outside of the boom?...Pictures?
KevinSharbonda is online now Find More Posts by KevinSharbonda
RCG Plus Member