HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2006, 11:16 AM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram
Hey Sparky - Where did you pick up that pylon mount?
I made it!
1/32" ply center, 5/16" balsa fairings. It's slotted for the wing rod.
1/4" lite ply firewall.
The fairings snug the pod against the wing.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2006, 11:50 AM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,388 Posts
Is that the stock wing joiner for the Fling 2M? Nice pylon.

Andy
dee-grose is online now Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2006, 12:17 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,370 Posts
Yes, it's the stock wing joiner.
On another split-wing plane I used the anti-twist dowel to help locate the pylon.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2006, 09:21 PM
Everett, WA, USA
Joined Jun 2003
37 Posts
I saw a few queries about actual finished weight, so I thought I would post what mine ended up at. My Fling 2M weighs 611g = 21.6 oz. Seems like they never come out as light as it says on the box! (19-21 oz) I did have to add a little nose lead to balance it. I have the HS81 servos and a GWS 6ch micro rx.
Gyro03 is offline Find More Posts by Gyro03
Last edited by Gyro03; Oct 31, 2006 at 12:31 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 07:26 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,026 Posts
Gyro03

Be aware that the range on that GWS receiver is only 1000 feet. A 2M sailplane in a thermal can EASILY exceed 1000 feet in range. If you plan to fly it on the slope and keep it fairly close, then it might be OK.

You may want to consider a different receiver.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Oct 30, 2006, 02:26 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,344 Posts
My Fling 2M ended up at 21.7oz (616grams) AUW. I'm using an Electron 6 receiver sans case. I also had to add weight in the nose to balance it.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 31, 2006, 12:23 AM
Everett, WA, USA
Joined Jun 2003
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr
Gyro03

Be aware that the range on that GWS receiver is only 1000 feet. A 2M sailplane in a thermal can EASILY exceed 1000 feet in range. If you plan to fly it on the slope and keep it fairly close, then it might be OK.

You may want to consider a different receiver.
Yeah I have been concerned about that (originally bought it for a parkflyer), but so far no big thermals to test it. Not worth risking it though- about a $200 gamble with all the gear in there. Do you consider the Berg micro stamp to be worthy? It's supposed to be full range.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 06:10 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,026 Posts
Berg has a good reputation but I have never used one. I would point you to the Hitec receivers. I have had good luck with them.

Hitec Electron 6 would be my first recommendation. Small, light and very reliable.
Neg Shift
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCXM8&P=ML
Pos Shift
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCXM9&P=ML

Hitec Micro 05S if you need to go low priced or are going for the lowest possible weight. It will adjust shift to your radio automatically
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXGZT0&P=ML
Last edited by aeajr; Nov 01, 2006 at 06:21 AM.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 06:45 AM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,143 Posts
Recently two flyers at my club field launched together on the same frequency. One had a 4 channel berg and the other one had a double conversion full range receiver. The guy with the berg continued to fly without a problem. The other guy lost all control and crashed.
John Gallagher is offline Find More Posts by John Gallagher
Old Oct 31, 2006, 09:55 PM
Everett, WA, USA
Joined Jun 2003
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gallagher
Recently two flyers at my club field launched together on the same frequency. One had a 4 channel berg and the other one had a double conversion full range receiver. The guy with the berg continued to fly without a problem. The other guy lost all control and crashed.
The Berg micro stamp supposedly locks onto the characteristics of the transmitter it first senses (on its own freq) when it powers up, and ignores other tx signals even if on the same frequency. The instructions do say that this only works if the tx's are not "similar".

Sounds like it works as advertised. I actually have (2) of these in other gliders right now; a QFII and a Skeeter.

Another cool thing is if you want to switch off your tx first, you can; the servos wont jitter all over the place and over-extend your control surfaces.
Last edited by Gyro03; Oct 31, 2006 at 10:07 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 10:05 PM
Everett, WA, USA
Joined Jun 2003
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr
Berg has a good reputation but I have never used one. I would point you to the Hitec receivers. I have had good luck with them.

Hitec Electron 6 would be my first recommendation. Small, light and very relialbe.
Neg Shift
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCXM8&P=ML
Pos Shift
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCXM9&P=ML

Hitec Micro 05S if you need to go low priced or are going for the lowest possible weight. It will adjust shift to your radio automatically
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXGZT0&P=ML
Aeajr,
Thanks I will check these out.
Old Nov 02, 2006, 04:18 PM
cousin Dave
Huntsville, Alabama
Joined Nov 2002
1,607 Posts
Has anybody added ballast to the Fling2M? I'm thinking about adding some to see how it handles the extra speed and penetration.
GLIDERGIDER is offline Find More Posts by GLIDERGIDER
Old Nov 03, 2006, 09:56 AM
S.A.D. member
Joined Dec 2004
9,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLIDERGIDER
Has anybody added ballast to the Fling2M? I'm thinking about adding some to see how it handles the extra speed and penetration.
I thought about it, but the Fling2M handles strong winds perfectly without any ballast. I slope mine. The tricky part in strong winds at the slope is landing it as it will pick up a lot of speed when diving through the slope lift to get it close to the ground.

Ivan
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2006, 10:06 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,026 Posts
strong wind on the slope is very different from strong wind out on the flat chasing thermals.
Old Nov 03, 2006, 10:22 AM
S.A.D. member
Joined Dec 2004
9,344 Posts
I agree. That is why I specifically pointed out that my experience is from slermaling.

Ivan
RCG Plus Member