SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 12, 2006, 07:11 PM
Denton, TX
Joined Dec 2002
569 Posts
Sparky, did you just reshrink the covering? Was the defect built in? How bad were the turns.
On the brink of buying one...JS
wingsnapper is offline Find More Posts by wingsnapper
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2006, 08:56 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
I reshrunk the covering. But it needs more, on both wings. The weather is getting hotter, and the covering is loosening with the heat.
I would buy another one anyway. It's a good wing, with the rest of the airplane quite good also.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old May 13, 2006, 06:15 PM
London, UK
Joined Aug 2005
1,295 Posts
can the one piece wing be made two piece fir easy transport?
arukum17 is offline Find More Posts by arukum17
Old May 13, 2006, 09:24 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Aug 2005
1,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arukum17
can the one piece wing be made two piece fir easy transport?
I made mine two piece by simply not gluing the 2 halves together and adding a locating pin near the trailing edge...Sanded the joiner so it was a snug fit and I tape them together before flight with electrical tape and have not had a failure yet doing loops at my local slope .YMMV

Steve
pinolefm1 is offline Find More Posts by pinolefm1
Old May 13, 2006, 10:13 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,906 Posts
I have had other 2M ARFs that I built the wing as a two piece. They have been very successful as EP gliders. (Not as much stress on the wing with EP launches.)

I think it is important to insure the joiner is a snug fit in both joiner boxes. I build up the joiner with balsa to insure no movement is possible as required. I then epoxy one end of the joiner into one wing half. You can't loose/forget the joiner that way and it is definitely a tight fit on that end. I also make a locating pin as mentioned above.

I then use tape to hold the wing together during flight.

R/E
rud-elev is offline Find More Posts by rud-elev
Old May 13, 2006, 10:33 PM
Fort Wayne, IN
Joined May 2002
1,694 Posts
I would not epoxy the joiner in if it were mine. If you ever break the joiner you won’t be able to get the one half out. I have used Goop to hold the joiner in one half and then been able to extract it at a later time. One other hint is to make a second joiner now so you have an exact extra to work from if it breaks. The Spirit ARF has a notorious week joiner and on that plane (and maybe this plane) it will make life much easier if you do a little extra work/planning now.

Just my .02

John
jrgospod is offline Find More Posts by jrgospod
Old May 14, 2006, 01:42 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,527 Posts
Among my planes I have two Spirit 2Ms and both have 2 piece wings. One launchs from a 3M strength hi-start. This is at my Parent's house.

The other also lanuchs from a very strong hi-start AND a 12V winch. I tape the wing before flying, then pull or cut the tape at the end of the day for easy transport. Works fine!
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old May 16, 2006, 01:49 AM
Denton, TX
Joined Dec 2002
569 Posts
Well I went and took the plunge.... One fling 2M in NIB on my living room floor. During the build I'm gonna take some steps to sure up the boom though. Maybe glueing the fin to the stab and inserting the pins though some glass and epoxy on both sides of the boom will help destribute the load of those washers and bolts on the bottom. I just can't see myself tightening down any metal directly to carbon as designed. Next I'll steal some left-over carbon from my DL50 kit and do some wraps in front of the tail just for good measure.
JS
Old May 16, 2006, 08:25 AM
Highland Village, TX
Joined Feb 2005
139 Posts
Ahhh, Wingsnapper --- you couldn't stand it!!!!! When you finish her, we'll get the 2 meter highstart out and give her a try.

Congrats!

Mike
Will M is offline Find More Posts by Will M
Old May 16, 2006, 11:40 AM
Permanently Banned
Joined Aug 2005
1,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnapper
Well I went and took the plunge.... One fling 2M in NIB on my living room floor. During the build I'm gonna take some steps to sure up the boom though. Maybe glueing the fin to the stab and inserting the pins though some glass and epoxy on both sides of the boom will help destribute the load of those washers and bolts on the bottom. I just can't see myself tightening down any metal directly to carbon as designed. Next I'll steal some left-over carbon from my DL50 kit and do some wraps in front of the tail just for good measure.
JS
My tail has remained tight since I assembled it 3 weeks ago held on with the stock configuration....what I did do though was wrap carbon fiber tow (anything will work really....cotton thread..kevlar thread ..) around the boom wherever it was cut for pushrod exits...front and back as some were complaining about the boom splitting back there ...and thin ca'd it in place ...

Time may loosen up that connection since the fin studs pass through wood but for now I'll leave it as is...

HTH

Steve
pinolefm1 is offline Find More Posts by pinolefm1
Old May 16, 2006, 05:01 PM
Denton, TX
Joined Dec 2002
569 Posts
Yes Mike, I just had to get something I could histart in the air fast. Add to that the fact that I just got $100 bucks for a graduation present and I just couldn't tell myself no.

Now don't you go and get a 2M Chrysalis up in the air first!... Just kidding.
We gotta try this thing out before the week is over.. I'll check the forecast and let you know.
JS
Last edited by wingsnapper; May 16, 2006 at 05:12 PM.
Old May 17, 2006, 01:36 PM
doobie doo
Joined Mar 2005
221 Posts
How much ballast

Following this persons lead, I added a couple OZ of hammered and drilled fishing weights to the cg of my purple fling, and it is a completely different plane (in a good way).
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3050151

Has anyone experimented with their fling 2m enough to make some flatland ballast reccomendations for different wind conditions?

Thanks,
Skewbe.
skewbe is offline Find More Posts by skewbe
Old May 18, 2006, 01:57 PM
Mr. Head
Redding, CA
Joined Feb 2006
90 Posts
Fling 2M Wing Mounting . . .

Has anyone modified the Fling 2M from the wing dowels and rubber bands to a wing bolt system? It seems it would be much more aerodynamic and aesthetically pleasing. If you have please advise as to how you did it, and the performance since the mod.

Thanks, Randy . . . . .
c55834 is offline Find More Posts by c55834
Old May 18, 2006, 02:18 PM
Blade Product Development
Joined Apr 2006
292 Posts
how does this thing do on the slope? I am looking for a second plane to fly if I go to my local slope and the wind is not pumping hard!
bgjames111 is offline Find More Posts by bgjames111
Old May 18, 2006, 08:38 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,527 Posts
If you have good landing area, the fling would probably be good for light lift. Most light wing loading thermal planes are good for light slope lift.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr