HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 11, 2006, 11:38 PM
Swim Bike Run Repeat
Rapid City Regional, South Dakota, United States
Joined Mar 2004
851 Posts
mine is Done

2m Fling RTF is 21.1 oz with a 3101 ( overkill but all I have) and a GWS park servo

Battery is a SQ 900 AAA

Looks great Maybe a little epoxy used in the pod...

Build was 95 min... Cant wait to fly It.

CrashinJ and I will try to kep the wing 2 piece. Should be fine. Had to sand the bugger out of the joiner. Well High start tomorrow mixed with some slope!!!!!

Dan
Chuckhead1 is offline Find More Posts by Chuckhead1
Last edited by Chuckhead1; Apr 12, 2006 at 02:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2006, 08:07 AM
Puyallup, WA
Joined Nov 2001
1,591 Posts
Hey Crashin J

SO what you think of it? Pretty slick little beauty ain't it! What are your first impression of it? Like to share with us. I was mildly surprised with it. How do you have yours set up inside and what gear. Was able to get a shot in between rain showers and run around the corner to the local school and get some hand tosses in. Handles really well and is well mannered. Nothing to high yet. Not worth getting the equipment out and setting just to get wet. Although the hand launches kept wanting to get a little higher each time. Was able to fly a couple of circles and bring it right back to launch point. Little rusty be will get back into the swing of things.
tinkrerpilot is offline Find More Posts by tinkrerpilot
Old Apr 12, 2006, 08:30 AM
Puyallup, WA
Joined Nov 2001
1,591 Posts
garydog1

Dang! Great build time.

Love the night time snapshot. Really lightens up the dark blue coloring.

Where did you find the 900 mah square battery? Best I could find was 750 mah NiMh pack.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 08:36 AM
Swim Bike Run Repeat
Joined Mar 2004
851 Posts
made it

Its from walmart 900 AAA made to fit.

The fir and finish of this one is as good as I have seen. No wrinkles and the covering seem to be high quality. Tail went right on with zero fiddling. Servos are easy/ I guess thats all there is. I took some pics for a build thread but I see no reason. It would be like

Make joiner
put in servos
hook linkage
fly

Mine balanced with out an added weight. Right on cg with the 900 pack. I made CrashinJ one so I hope his weighs less. I think he is using 81's

I will make the rudder bigger after the first flight.

Dan
Old Apr 12, 2006, 01:31 PM
Closet 'Air Supply' Fan!
United States, NC, Salisbury
Joined Jan 2005
1,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garydog1
2m Fling RTF is 21.1 oz with a 3101 ( overkill but all I have) and a GWS park servo

Battery is a SQ 900 AAA

Looks great Maybe a little epoxy used in the pod...

Build was 95 min... Cant wait to fly It.

CrashinJ and I will try to kep the wing 2 piece. Should be fine. Had to sand the bugger out of the joiner. Well Hing start tomorrow mixed with some slope!!!!!

Dan
that is pretty freakin light. If it has any wind penetrating ability at all, I bet it will fly well.

Scot
rscarawa is offline Find More Posts by rscarawa
Old Apr 12, 2006, 03:15 PM
Punta Gorda, FL
Joined Apr 2002
4,952 Posts
Be careful of cheap ARF sailplanes. See:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504359

You might assume a $15 carbon boom with a real $1 plastic tube for fuselage boom.
Ollie is offline Find More Posts by Ollie
Old Apr 12, 2006, 06:06 PM
Swim Bike Run Repeat
Joined Mar 2004
851 Posts
21 Min test flight

21 Min test flight with CrashinJ's fling 2M from a small high start today. I would vote A+ for this plane. Video to follow.

The thermal was strong enough to keep the chute up about 50 feet for a min or so.

I love it so far. No bad habits.

Dan

When is the 100" version coming out???????
Old Apr 12, 2006, 07:41 PM
Box Elder, SD
Joined May 2002
1,473 Posts
Its a Keeper ! !! !

Yep thats what I said, "Its a Keeper!!". Wish they would come out with a 100 inch version ! ! I'd buy another one in a heart beat, in fact I can't find anything wrong with it. 2nd flight netted a 21 minute long flight. Its one of the few ARF's I've had that didn't have wrinkles in the covering materal. I didn't time the build time but I know it was more than 95 minutes, but I build slow. (I can take a week to build a 2 hour kit.) I have not weighed mine but I did have to add weight to the nose.

Here is what I've got inside mine.
batts, 4 sq 900mah pack made from Wallyworld.
HS-81 servos
Cirrus reciever

Oh yeah, built it as a 2 piece wing, works fine so far. So thats my report, can't complain about it at all.

CrashinJ
nr5a is offline Find More Posts by nr5a
Last edited by nr5a; Apr 12, 2006 at 08:00 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 11:03 PM
db1
don betz
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2004
571 Posts
Any pictures of how you did the 2 piece wing?

db
db1 is offline Find More Posts by db1
Old Apr 12, 2006, 11:15 PM
Box Elder, SD
Joined May 2002
1,473 Posts
Simple, I did not glue them together and made sure the center joiner fits real tight. When I fly I put a piece of tape down the center line on the 2 wing halfs. I've done this before with other planes and have had no problems and have had a couple of planes that did that a long time ago. My buddy Garydog is doing the same thing with his. Sure makes it easier to get in my 2 door Tracker. Espicially when I fly a few hours before my wife gets off work, she use to complain about the wing being in the back seat, and on the dash board, not to mention in her way. LOL

CrashinJ
Old Apr 12, 2006, 11:23 PM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2003
1,317 Posts
I checked the instruction manual on the Tower website. The wing joiner reminds me of the one I had on a Spectra Select I had. Does it fit pretty solidly without glueing it in? Anybody had a chance to see what's under the covering?

AJ
solo6796 is offline Find More Posts by solo6796
Old Apr 12, 2006, 11:43 PM
Box Elder, SD
Joined May 2002
1,473 Posts
Mine and Garydogs fit tight, we both had to do some sanding to get them to go in. Not yet, hope I don't get to look in there. haha

CrashinJ
Old Apr 13, 2006, 12:22 AM
Swim Bike Run Repeat
Joined Mar 2004
851 Posts
2 piece

I made an alignment key near the le with carbon tube and carbon rod. The rod fits in the tube and it stays put. One piece of tape and off to the High start.

It was a fun test flight. My first thermal from the ground to speck height.

Cant wait for sunburnt eyes this summer.

Dna
Old Apr 13, 2006, 10:09 AM
Puyallup, WA
Joined Nov 2001
1,591 Posts
hey Crashin J and garydog1

what brand of battery and where is located in wallyworld? You guys beat me to the good flying, congrats. Too much rain here to fly, hopefully this weekend with an upstart.

Crashin J, I am with you on the 100" inch. Come on Great Planes.........
Old Apr 16, 2006, 09:11 AM
Unemployed, Homeless, Happy
Joined Apr 2006
67 Posts
Got my 2M Fling Monday, cut the nose off and installed a 2212-34 AXI with a 11x8 folder, Jeti 12, 2 Hitec 65HB servos and 2 cell 1800 battery. AUW 25 oz. First flight yesterday was great considering it was a bit gusty for a lightweight. AXI suggests a 12x8, I'll try that next for a better climb. I was impressed enough with the construction and handling that I'll buy another for Hi-start or gentle winch use. Great deal for $89.
jcfetterly is offline Find More Posts by jcfetterly
Last edited by jcfetterly; Apr 17, 2006 at 02:33 PM.