opps wrong forum...
mohr41 is offline Find More Posts by mohr41
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2010, 02:58 PM
Glass just crashes better...
United States, CA, Hermosa Beach
Joined Mar 2010
35 Posts
How do you get the custom picture under your name?!
mohr41 is offline Find More Posts by mohr41
Old Nov 22, 2010, 05:49 PM
Portland, OR
Joined Nov 2009
538 Posts
Just ordered a new Fling 2m based on this discussion, as it seems to be a good intro to non e-powered sailplanes. I have an Ascent and Radian, as well as a Radian Pro on order, but also thought it would be a blast to launch a glider with a huge rubber band, so I ordered the Up Start too.

Don
donsinger1 is offline Find More Posts by donsinger1
Old Nov 30, 2010, 09:50 AM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsinger1 View Post
Just ordered a new Fling 2m based on this discussion, as it seems to be a good intro to non e-powered sailplanes. I have an Ascent and Radian, as well as a Radian Pro on order, but also thought it would be a blast to launch a glider with a huge rubber band, so I ordered the Up Start too.

Don
No hills around you in OR? It is great on the slope!

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2010, 10:27 AM
Portland, OR
Joined Nov 2009
538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc View Post
No hills around you in OR? It is great on the slope!

Ivan
I have hills all around me, but most that are real close are covered with tall fir trees. There is a cemetery at the top of a 1,000' ridge that faces south about three miles from home, and the prevailing wind direction during Fall, Winter and Spring is from the south. I have seen one person sloping there and the grounds keeper paid it no mind, so I think I may give it a go......once I finish up my Fling 48".

Great sloping sites up in the Columbia River Gorge, but too darn cold with too much ice right now.

Love the colors on the Fling 2M

Don

Don
Old Nov 30, 2010, 08:13 PM
It's Prime Time for Slime Time
Joined May 2004
1,723 Posts
Bought one of these for my little brother who has shown some interest in RC soaring. I'll let you all know how it turns out for him!
b7gwap is offline Find More Posts by b7gwap
Old Nov 30, 2010, 10:34 PM
Angleton, Texas
Joined Mar 2007
310 Posts
I think his was made out of bamboo flooring....

"jrgospod" needs some help with his Fling... he got one of the first ever made and I think it's made from recycled bamboo laminate flooring. I will offer to rework if for him for free, just send it to me. I'll pay for return shipping. John
TexasThermalKing is offline Find More Posts by TexasThermalKing
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:58 PM
Fort Wayne, IN
Joined May 2002
1,694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgospod View Post
CrashinJ,

I am an embarrassed owner of the Fling DLG. I canít bring myself to sell it because it is junk and I will not pass on something that bad. I was on a waiting list last year and got one of the first ones. It is still on the shelf because it is not worth building. Fool me once shame on you (GP). Fool me twice, shame on me. GP will not get a chance to fool me twice. They have lost me as a customer. I sure hope that GP has learned a lesson and the people on this thread are not fooled also. I have my doubts because the Fling DLG was not recalled and is still being sold. Good luck! You may need it.

John
I spoke of the "Fling DLG" and stated that I "hoped that GP has learned a lesson". See my quote above. From this thread on the 2M it would appear they have a better 2M model than the crap they sold me as a DLG. I still will not buy from them.

John
jrgospod is offline Find More Posts by jrgospod
Old Dec 01, 2010, 01:02 AM
Angleton, Texas
Joined Mar 2007
310 Posts
Hey, jrgospod...I know....I read all the post, and you had said so back in 2006. I was just having fun. The Fling is a great bargin for what it is, and for those that don't have the time to build, or the skills, or the money for something else. It has gotten better it seems, and these guys have taken the time to help it be better. In my opinion. Myself...I have just got to the point where I want a really nice plane...for the times I have to fly...and the bargins just don't seem to cut it in the all around I'm looking for. I have a collection of older planes already, that don't really measure up, to what's out there now...just fun to fly. I'll keep them for that, but no Fings for me. Are you building your own planes now? John
TexasThermalKing is offline Find More Posts by TexasThermalKing
Last edited by TexasThermalKing; Dec 01, 2010 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Can't spell
Old Dec 01, 2010, 08:43 AM
Fort Wayne, IN
Joined May 2002
1,694 Posts
I do have several planes to build, but our club is getting into the ALE planes and several have the Radian. It is a foam plane that really thermals well and several have had very good luck with it. We have a class in our club for it now and I may be getting one of them. With the electric motor one can fly just about anywhere you have a small area to land. People report that the amount of flying/stick time goes way up with the Radian. Just walk out the back door and launch,
jrgospod is offline Find More Posts by jrgospod
Old Dec 23, 2010, 11:49 AM
Portland, OR
Joined Nov 2009
538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgospod View Post
I do have several planes to build, but our club is getting into the ALE planes and several have the Radian. It is a foam plane that really thermals well and several have had very good luck with it. We have a class in our club for it now and I may be getting one of them. With the electric motor one can fly just about anywhere you have a small area to land. People report that the amount of flying/stick time goes way up with the Radian. Just walk out the back door and launch,
Funny you say this. I have a Radian and a few other e powered sailplanes and love them. But, I thought it would be fun also to launch the lil Fling (which I have and love) and a 2M Fling with a BIG rubber band, so to speak. And, it is cool.

Fun to have both.

BTW, I too have shied away from GP products due to poor quality workmanship and materials. I had a Sopwith Camel and a Hobbico J3 Cub, both of which had major issues that took too much work to make fly properly.

I was hesitant about both Flings because of this, but after reading the threads on each, I decided to buy them last month.

The lil Fling I received had minor covering issues that were easily taken care of and everything else provided was well built and no wing warpage or wrinkles.

My Fling 2M was even better - all monokote covered areas had NO wrinkles save one small area on the rudder - the wing was not warped at all; and, the rest of the build is of good quality, best I have seen from them.

Has GP turned a corner - probably not but, they do have the Flings down right (for the most part).

I have reinforced the tail with some glassing as per discussions on this thread.

BTW...one question on my Fling 2M build...the pushrod tubes are already installed; and, the kit comes with pretty heavy .047 wire...anyone try installing wire one size down...say .032? Would the .032 be too light and bend too much from stresses of a high-start launch (I think .025 on down would)?

Thanks,
Don
Old Dec 23, 2010, 03:56 PM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
4,150 Posts
On a 2-meter even .020 can work if done right. However, if the tubes are sized for .047, then going to a substantially smaller size is likely to introduce significant slop and springiness, which could cause a variety of problems.
Don Stackhouse is offline Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old Dec 23, 2010, 04:08 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,906 Posts
How about carbon rod in the closest size to stock?

R/E
rud-elev is offline Find More Posts by rud-elev
Old Dec 23, 2010, 04:56 PM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
4,150 Posts
We've used .020" carbon rod on an open class model very successfully. However, no matter what you use, it has to fit the tubing, not too tight to move easily, but not so loose that it allows slop.

The other thing with carbon is the pushrods need to be very straight. Even a small zig-zag can cause problems.
Don Stackhouse is offline Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old Dec 24, 2010, 12:24 AM
Portland, OR
Joined Nov 2009
538 Posts
Thanks. Think I will stick with stock on my first build then.

Don