HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 05, 2002, 01:30 PM
USA, IL, Barrington
Joined Feb 2001
1,949 Posts
GWS Pinion Gear Pullers at Balsa Products

Finally both sizes of Gear pullers ar in! Micro and standard and at a great price. www.balsapr.com. check them out!

Pete
peterv is offline Find More Posts by peterv
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2002, 05:15 PM
USA, IL, Barrington
Joined Feb 2001
1,949 Posts
Just ordered mine, both sets. $21 for two pullers and that takes care of all my motors. Such a deal!

Pete
Old Jul 05, 2002, 06:33 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Just what I've been waiting for to get some of my motor projects kick-started. Balsa Products, here I come.
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old Jul 05, 2002, 06:44 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Ordered mine this morning!!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Jul 05, 2002, 08:52 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Now that my gear puller order is in, I'm wondering if anyone makes a gear presser -- that is, a small tool for pressing gears on. I have several methods in mind without a special tool. Does anyone have a favorite proven method?
Old Jul 05, 2002, 10:00 PM
USA, IL, Barrington
Joined Feb 2001
1,949 Posts
I use a block of metal on the back shaft and a small hammer to tap the gear on. However I have thought of using a C-Clamp. But the hammer works fine. Took two off this holiday( put the wrong gear on twice!) with a fork. Slide the shaft between the center tines, lay it across the open jaws of a vice and tap the shaft out with a small center punch. Crude but works.

Pete
Old Jul 06, 2002, 10:31 AM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
The c-clamp is one of the things that I was considering. Was also thinking of walking through a tool store just to see if there were any other standard tools that might double as a gear presser.
Old Jul 06, 2002, 06:12 PM
MKH
Ohio
Joined Mar 2000
2,597 Posts
I put the motor in a vice, longwise of course, with a metal ruler against the back of the motor (the vice is wood) and line the pinion gear up with the shaft, and close the vice slowly. The pinion slides right on every time. The wood protects the brass pinion from damage, and the ruler adds support to keep the back end of the motor from pushing apart.

marcus
MKH is offline Find More Posts by MKH
Old Jul 06, 2002, 08:10 PM
Corvallis, OR
Joined Mar 2000
1,164 Posts
Finally...a reasonably priced PG puller. Don't understand why
these cost over $30 in the first place.

Ron
electricrcflyer is offline Find More Posts by electricrcflyer
Old Jul 06, 2002, 09:20 PM
USA, IL, Barrington
Joined Feb 2001
1,949 Posts
GWS Fair Prices

Right! Leave it to Mr Lin and GWS to come up with something we all need at a fair price. Good going GWS! I'm sure you will sell many.

Pete
Old Jul 06, 2002, 11:55 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,945 Posts
Why Do I Need a Puller

All of the GWS replacement motors come with proper pinions installed for the particular gearbox ratio ( dont they?). If so why would I need to remove and replace pinions for GWS geardrives?
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Jul 07, 2002, 12:05 AM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Re: Why Do I Need a Puller

Quote:
Originally posted by E-Challenged
All of the GWS replacement motors come with proper pinions installed for the particular gearbox ratio ( dont they?). If so why would I need to remove and replace pinions for GWS geardrives?
First of all I have 4 diff. gearboxes in use. The replacement motors I have found so far are all with the A pinion. If you buy the motor without pinion it has no wires or capacitors. So it makes sense to be able to keep a couple of A spare motors on hand that I can remove and switch pinions as necessary. Further I intend to try the EDF motor in several diff. gear boxes. Also if a motor from one of my 300C or 100C series would burn out I can do the same as I use several diff. gear ratios there also.
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Jul 07, 2002, 12:05 AM
USA, IL, Barrington
Joined Feb 2001
1,949 Posts
Yes GWS replacement motors do but most of my motors a Graupner and Mig using MP Jet GBs, the pinion gear comes with the gearbox and must ber pressed on at time of assembly. Then when you want to change GB ratios or replace a worn motor you have to pull the gear. Sure helps to have the right tool!!

Pete
Old Jul 07, 2002, 08:20 AM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
My GWS gear puller projects include pulling gears off of IPS motors to put on EDF motors for use in IPS gearboxes, and pulling gears off of 280 motors to put on Johnson 250 motors to use in 280 gearboxes. Think of it as combining two hobbies into one -- e-flight and hot rodding.
Old Jul 10, 2002, 11:23 AM
USA, IL, Barrington
Joined Feb 2001
1,949 Posts
Got My GWS Pinion Gear Pullers!

Got the pinion gear pullers from Balsa Products www.balasapr.com today(fast!) and they look great! Come in a nice receiver plastic box with fitted foam insert. Very well made. Looks like a great tool. Now to see if there are any motors in my truck to pull, can't wait to try them!!

Pete