Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 17, 2007, 04:46 PM
Joined Nov 2004
246 Posts
Claude,
What an AWESOME contribution. Thx for taking the time
Btw, where do you get those nice little girls stickers??
Strykaas is offline Find More Posts by Strykaas
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2007, 06:18 PM
Indiana
Joined Jan 2003
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strykaas
Claude,
What an AWESOME contribution. Thx for taking the time
Btw, where do you get those nice little girls stickers??
http://www.yujean.com/ usually sold at Pep boys automotive store.

Tight turns!

Claude
Claude G. Vest is offline Find More Posts by Claude G. Vest
Old Apr 18, 2007, 04:19 PM
Joined Nov 2004
246 Posts
Thx A nice way to enhance sport planes schemes !!
Old Apr 18, 2007, 08:10 PM
Brockton, MA
Joined Nov 2003
352 Posts
Thanks, Claude

Bob
N1EDM is offline Find More Posts by N1EDM
Old Apr 20, 2007, 09:28 AM
Shalimar, FL
Joined Nov 2002
19 Posts
Foam Cores

I spoke to Bill on Wednesday April 18 and he said he was waiting on some foam. He also said he was going out of town to visit family in Indiana & Texas and might not be back until around the first of July.

He is out of the kit business-not enough demand-but still will cut cores and has the tape and hinges for sale.
Ed_Moorman is offline Find More Posts by Ed_Moorman
Old Apr 20, 2007, 11:17 AM
Brockton, MA
Joined Nov 2003
352 Posts
Thanks, Ed. I'm not in a hurry to build one of these just yet, I just wanted to have the parts in place when the spirit moved me. I'll wait till July and get them from the master.

Thanks again,

Bob
N1EDM is offline Find More Posts by N1EDM
Old Apr 20, 2007, 01:18 PM
Shalimar, FL
Joined Nov 2002
19 Posts
My Pole Star

I plan to test my Pole Star tomorrow. A buddy built up the wing from balsa. Power is an OS .65LA/11-7 prop. Weight: 6 1/4 lbs.

It does have a working 3" wide rudder and 2 1/4" wide elevons.

The Sig Kobra canopy cost more for the shipping than it did for the actual canopy.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 01:53 PM
Joined Nov 2004
246 Posts
Good luck !
Old Apr 22, 2007, 11:38 AM
Shalimar, FL
Joined Nov 2002
19 Posts
Pole Star Test Flights

I have 2 days flying on the Pole Star and I can say it is all everyone said. Very fast, but very stable, like it's on rails up there. It's going fast, but you get this surprising thought, I mean it just dawns on you that it's not going to do anythng weird or get away from you. I've flown a Mach Racer with a piped .52, a Diamond Dust with a piped Rossi and a twin engine Diamond Dust and the Pole Star feels the most solid in the air. It does all sorts of acro, insides, outsides, rolls pretty fast, but not as fast as the Mach Racer. It does knife edge and even climbs. What else is there...

The first day I had an OS .65LA/11-7 MA prop on the plane. It was fairly fast and flew very well. All right, it was not fast. At least not compared to the deltas I have had. It was sport plane speed. BLAH!

Saturday night I changed the engine out for a new Tower .75 that has been bench run for nearly 2 gallons of fuel. I also found an 11-8 Rev Up prop to use over at my buddy's house. When I tuned it up in the driveway after installation, my son said it pulled a lot more. At the field, my buddy said it had to be at least 20 mph faster. Now it was looking good, lots faster than sport plane. It might not catch a plane powered with a Jett, but it was moving on out. The Tower .75 turns up pretty well. I might get another one, Tower .75, that is.

In the snappy acro arena, I had trouble getting an upright snap roll, only got a big spiral. Inverted snap controls (split the sticks) flips the plane into a wild gyration which falls off into an inverted spin. On the second one, I crossed the ailerons and got a very nice inverted flat spin. I tried it 3 different times and got it to go nice and flat. Came out nicely, too, although I lost a good bit of altitude in the recovery. My buddy noticed this and I told him that I was using opposite rudder on recovery just to be sure. Next time out, I'll try just releasing the controls first to see how it recovers. It this works, it will minimize the altitude loss. I just wasn't sure about the spin recovery of a Simitar type flying wing, so I used the tried & true opposite rudder method to stop the spin. As well as it was flying, I surely didn't want to plant it and have to build another.

It also comes in and lands nicely, nose high on the mains first. there were no stalling tendencies that I noticed.

I am very impressed with the Pole Star. I found no bad habits, none what so ever. With a smaller engine, like a .40-.46, it would make a great sport plane. You wouldn't have to fly it fast, but it is easy to handle at speed.
Last edited by Ed_Moorman; Apr 22, 2007 at 11:53 PM.
Old May 03, 2007, 08:59 PM
Indiana
Joined Jan 2003
409 Posts
I finally have a Pole Star aka Polestar

This is my second attempt at constructing a Pole Star. The first met its end during the covering phase. A ceiling fan above and behind the workbench seemed like a good idea at the time. The 1/64" plywood wing skins didn't have a chance. I have since moved my building area.

This one has 1/32" wing skins, OS 61 FX power, 12X8 Prop, 3" wheels for ground clearance.

http://www.stickerchick.com/ was where I got some of the stickers the rest were from http://www.yujean.com/ or the local Hobby Lobby Craft store.

Tight Turns to All!

Claude
Old May 04, 2007, 05:45 AM
Shalimar, FL
Joined Nov 2002
19 Posts
Very Nice

Very nice, Claude. Great colors. You need something easy to see on these planes.

What did the final weight come out to be?
Old May 05, 2007, 06:44 AM
Indiana
Joined Jan 2003
409 Posts
Pole Star weight

I hope my fishing scale is wrong,(its old), says it's 6lb 13oz
Hope to test fly today or tomorrow, today is field cleanup day at the club's field and will be toting ladders, paint, wood, and impliments of destruction in the truck. If the weather holds.

Tight turns,

Claude
Old May 13, 2007, 05:49 PM
Pug Pilot
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2004
800 Posts
Pole Star X

Just wanted to share my Pole Star X I bought at an auction this year. Still needs to be flown, but look like a lot of fun. I have an OS .60 SF mounted with a macs muffler. It weighs in at 6 lbs 10 ozs. I knew about the original Pole Star but didn't know about the Pole Star X with the somewhat diamond shaped wing, but when I saw this one at the auction I just had to have it. I thought someone had bashed the kit, but then I bought the old RCM magazine, that had the Pole Star article in it, off ebay and there it was in the picture seen below. Iíd like someday to build all 4 versions of the simitar. Iíve flown the simitar 540, and if this plane is half as fun to fly as the 540, Iíll be happy.
moxjett is offline Find More Posts by moxjett
Old May 14, 2007, 06:56 PM
Indiana
Joined Jan 2003
409 Posts
How about some more info

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxjett
Just wanted to share my Pole Star X I bought at an auction this year. Still needs to be flown, but look like a lot of fun. I have an OS .60 SF mounted with a macs muffler. It weighs in at 6 lbs 10 ozs. I knew about the original Pole Star but didn't know about the Pole Star X with the somewhat diamond shaped wing, but when I saw this one at the auction I just had to have it. I thought someone had bashed the kit, but then I bought the old RCM magazine, that had the Pole Star article in it, off ebay and there it was in the picture seen below. Iíd like someday to build all 4 versions of the simitar. Iíve flown the simitar 540, and if this plane is half as fun to fly as the 540, Iíll be happy.
Could you please take a few measurements for us?

fuselage length, wingspan, root and tip cords, amount of sweep etc?

Tight Turns,
Claude
Old May 14, 2007, 08:11 PM
Shalimar, FL
Joined Nov 2002
19 Posts
Pole Star-X

Here is the photo that Strykaas posted on RC Universe of his Pole Star-X. The wings of these two planes look different.

The one from RC Groups seems to have an even taper or even more on the TE, whereas the Strykaas' plane has more sweep on the LE. The wing tips are also cut at an angle.