HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2007, 12:51 AM
Mexico, BC, Mexicali
Joined Aug 2004
5,066 Posts
Flyingwings

The pole star was constructed for a 740 Kress DF. and glow motor. At the moment single flight electrical and this hoping to turn it to EDF. but it will be more ahead since I occupy a motor of + 1 HP. and 5,6s lipo.

Manuel V.
manuel v is online now Find More Posts by manuel v
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2007, 05:51 PM
Indiana
Joined Jan 2003
409 Posts
Just completed another one!

Here is my newly completed Simitar, Future Shock. The only Simitar designed for electric.
Motor is an Astro-Flight geared 25, with 11X7 APC electric prop.
Battery is 14 cell RC-2400.

Need to finish the radio installation, will wait until after my club's mall show for first flights.

Tight turns to all!

Claude
Claude G. Vest is offline Find More Posts by Claude G. Vest
Old Feb 23, 2007, 07:48 PM
Indiana
Joined Jan 2003
409 Posts
I think I just found one more,

That I forgot to post.

Tight Turns to all!

Claude
Old Feb 25, 2007, 09:59 AM
CA
Joined Dec 2003
486 Posts
Just something I've been working on

Its powered by a LiL Screamer PP , 1320 Lipo with an 6x4 prop. Its got unlimited vertical all day.
blindflight is offline Find More Posts by blindflight
Old Feb 26, 2007, 12:06 AM
Joined Feb 2004
733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindflight
Its powered by a LiL Screamer PP , 1320 Lipo with an 6x4 prop. Its got unlimited vertical all day.
BF

That is a really super looking wing.

When do we see the video and the construction article and plans?

Paul
flyingwings is offline Find More Posts by flyingwings
Old Feb 26, 2007, 08:29 AM
CA
Joined Dec 2003
486 Posts
new plane

Just finished and working on flight trials,. Trying different wing config's. Will be awhile when I can get video. Design is basic "Simitar" , but smaller...No real plans, just put together and experiment for fun...."Tight turn's" BLINDFLIGHT
blindflight is offline Find More Posts by blindflight
Old Mar 27, 2007, 06:38 PM
Indiana
Joined Jan 2003
409 Posts
Plans, Cores, and Kits for Simitars!

send me an email to one of my emails

cvest17@msn.com
claudevest@yahoo.com

Bill Evans has given me permission to give you his telephone number, and you may call him and he'll set you up with whatever you need.

Tight turns to all!

Claude
Last edited by Claude G. Vest; Apr 20, 2008 at 07:31 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 09:11 PM
Durham, NC
Joined Jan 2002
66 Posts
My Variation on the Simitar Theme

Here are a few pictures of my Pole Star inspired e Simitar. It has a 48" wing span, uses a geared Maxcim 15D motor and 6 A123 batteries. I don't do foam construction so the wing is built up but still used the Simitar airfoil. Landing gear consists of a nose wheel, steerable tail wheel and two outrunner struts in the wing (like the Harrier) . The nose gear and wing outrunners are retractable.

Like all Simitars, it flys great. Fast, clean and stall resistant when you want to really slow it down. The retracts aren't really necessary but add a certain cool factor.
dbgantt is offline Find More Posts by dbgantt
Old Apr 12, 2007, 06:53 PM
Brockton, MA
Joined Nov 2003
352 Posts
Hello Claude,

I haven't been through the entire thread, but I'm curious what info you might have on the Leading Edge that Bill published in the January 1990 RCM? Or, has it already been discussed somewhere on this thread already?

Thanks,

Bob
N1EDM is offline Find More Posts by N1EDM
Old Apr 12, 2007, 07:22 PM
Indiana
Joined Jan 2003
409 Posts
Simitar info Update for all

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1EDM
Hello Claude,

I haven't been through the entire thread, but I'm curious what info you might have on the Leading Edge that Bill published in the January 1990 RCM? Or, has it already been discussed somewhere on this thread already?

Thanks,

Bob
The plane is on page three of this post.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Simitar/ is ou international Simitar group, I am one of the moderators and I keep the spammers out.

YAHOO RECENTLY UPGRADED OUR FILE SECTION TO 1 GB, ALL OF THE CONSTRUCTION ARTICLES ARE AVAILABLE AS ZIPPED FILES FOR EASY DOWNLOAD!

BILL EVANS HAS ALSO AUTHORISED ME TO GIVE OUT HIS TELEPHONE NUMBER TO ANY WHO ASK FOR IT.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 08:15 PM
Brockton, MA
Joined Nov 2003
352 Posts
Thanks, Claude. I have the magazine, so I can xerox the article. I also sent to RCM for the plans. Apparently folks are still getting their plans OK.

I was also wondering if anyone on this thread may have built a Leading Edge, and what their comments were.

I'm already a member of the thread, so I'm getting those emails regularly, thanks,

Bob
Old Apr 14, 2007, 04:01 PM
Indiana
Joined Jan 2003
409 Posts
This one eluded me until today! The Simitar 2100

Many thanks to Gerry Hrechanyk for puchasing the book Giant Steps off of eBay and scanning the pages.

Thank you Gerry!

Tight Turns to All!

Claude
Old Apr 14, 2007, 04:35 PM
Brockton, MA
Joined Nov 2003
352 Posts
Very, very nice... Impressive plane.

I'm curious - if I were to buy a set of foam cores from Bill Evans, is it possible for them to come already sheeted? Just curious...

Bob
Old Apr 16, 2007, 10:10 PM
Indiana
Joined Jan 2003
409 Posts
I'm sorry, no one I know of sells core pre-sheeted.

Quote:
Very, very nice... Impressive plane.

I'm curious - if I were to buy a set of foam cores from Bill Evans, is it possible for them to come already sheeted? Just curious...

Bob
I'm sorry, no one I know of sells core pre-sheeted.

But sheeting them with corefilm from Bill Evans, or the double sided tape that they use on vinyl floors is a snap.

I usually sheet my wings with 1/32" plywood, or 1/16" Balsa.

Once you get cores from Bill, all you do is glue on the trailing edge spar, and the leading edge sub-spar.

Sand them tomatch the contour of the foam.

Apply the tape to the foam cores.

Remove the backing from the tape, and roll the core onto the sheeting leaving about a 1/16 to 1/8" overlap.

I then return the cores to the foam beds and weight them down overnight.

The next day I use rubber bands about every 1/2" to hold the sheeting to the core's spars, and run thin foam safe CA on the joints.

Foam safe CA doesn't set very fast on ply, so I let them sit for a while before I remove the rubber bands.

Then you glue on the leading edge wood and sand to shape.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Tight Turns,

Claude
Old Apr 16, 2007, 10:38 PM
Indiana
Joined Jan 2003
409 Posts
It should be just as good as all the Simitars

Quote:
Thanks, Claude. I have the magazine, so I can xerox the article. I also sent to RCM for the plans. Apparently folks are still getting their plans OK.

I was also wondering if anyone on this thread may have built a Leading Edge, and what their comments were.

I'm already a member of the thread, so I'm getting those emails regularly, thanks,

Bob
I haven't built one yet, but I can testify that all of the Simitar series of planes fly like they are an extention of yourself.

A Simitar will not stall, unless you set your control throws to insane extremes.
When you give full up at idle of deadstick, the plane will nose up slightly thenflatten back out and continue to fly very slowly. At 1/4 to 1/3 throttle and a slight headwind you can hover or even fly backwards this way. Plus you can still turn with complete confidence. ( On my first flight with my first Simitar, the Advantage, the engine died when the plane was 100' out and 50' up on its first takeoff. I turned the plane around and landed it on the runway.)

Simitars laugh at the wind, I have flown mine in winds gusting 25 mph or more.
(and yes you can make it land backwards into a steady headwind!) There are reports of some people flying in even stronger winds!

Simitars with movable rudders are a lot more fun than the ones with fixed rudders, my Wiseguy has done moves so violent that twice my engine died and the clunk of the fuel tank was stuck in the front of the tank. (If you pull straight up at full throttle and give full left ruder, full down/right elevon, the plane will flip wingtip to wingtip.)

FYI, according to Bill Evans, Simitars don't even need rudders, he did an experiment and cut the vertical fin completely off of a Pole Star and he says it flys just as well without it. He calls it NTTT, No Tail To Tell (Although knife edge flight suffers)

Simitars do have drawbacks:

The Simitar Duece is the only one that if it is put into a spin it will not automatically recover, ALL THE REST WILL!

A Simitar set up as a tail dragger, won't take off if you give up command before it starts, "dancing light on the gear".

Simitars with tricycle gear, improperly set up, will develope an annoying and sometimes fatal kangaroo bounce on hard landings. Lower the nose 1/8" at a time until it stops.

Flying Simitars spoils you because no other plane performs like one.

Tight Turns!

Claude