HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2009, 06:18 AM
Kingston Ontario Canada
Joined May 2006
187 Posts
Any chance you have a DXF file available for the Desperado?
Deerslayer is offline Find More Posts by Deerslayer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2009, 10:20 AM
Indiana
Joined Jan 2003
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer
Any chance you have a DXF file available for the Desperado?
I do not have any except for the one of a kind Simitars that I've posted previously.

All of the other Simitar plans are still available from their respective magazines with the exception of the Bug's Ear, Centron, and Simitar Duece.

The Bug's Ear and Centron were both full sized plans in the magazines and were scanned full size and posted here.

Model Airplane News no longer sells the Duece, but I have seen plans for sale on Ebay.

If at any time a supplier goes belly-up or otherwise stops selling the plans for any of the Simitar designs, I will have those plans in my collection scanned and post them in our Yahoo groups.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Simitar/

and

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Simitar_two/

Tight turns,

Claude
Claude G. Vest is offline Find More Posts by Claude G. Vest
Last edited by Claude G. Vest; Aug 14, 2009 at 06:47 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 10:16 AM
Indiana
Joined Jan 2003
409 Posts
Found another one

From December 1984 Model Aviation magazine

Tight Turns,

Claude
Old Aug 24, 2009, 05:38 AM
Montville Queensland Australia
Joined Jul 2005
149 Posts
Hi Claude,
I have just rescued what appears to be a vintage simitar saracen a member of my slope soaring club had been abusing it by trying to dynamic soar with it and then offered the aircraft to me in a damaged condition for $20. I could not get the money out of my pocket fast enough.
The construction appears to be at least 20 years old and it still has the dowells for a slide box. I would have left it the old way but unfortunately a servo tray has been glued over the top. I fitted a couple vintage sanwah servos and constructed a hatch and new control arms. I used 18% as a starting point for the CofG and have slowly moved it back to 21%. Span it 72 inches [1830mm] I love flying this aircraft it has such a presence on the slope. The speed range is amazing, it will hang around if necessary but put the nose down and it gains speed quickly and smoothly. I have found it to be sensitive to thermal activity. I fly electric and am looking at the bugs ear for a little park flyer. Bill Evans started somthing when he designed the first simitar.

Stay Well

Ray
fritz2460 is offline Find More Posts by fritz2460
Old Aug 26, 2009, 06:56 PM
Indiana
Joined Jan 2003
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz2460
Hi Claude,
I have just rescued what appears to be a vintage simitar saracen a member of my slope soaring club had been abusing it by trying to dynamic soar with it and then offered the aircraft to me in a damaged condition for $20. I could not get the money out of my pocket fast enough.
The construction appears to be at least 20 years old and it still has the dowells for a slide box. I would have left it the old way but unfortunately a servo tray has been glued over the top. I fitted a couple vintage sanwah servos and constructed a hatch and new control arms. I used 18% as a starting point for the CofG and have slowly moved it back to 21%. Span it 72 inches [1830mm] I love flying this aircraft it has such a presence on the slope. The speed range is amazing, it will hang around if necessary but put the nose down and it gains speed quickly and smoothly. I have found it to be sensitive to thermal activity. I fly electric and am looking at the bugs ear for a little park flyer. Bill Evans started somthing when he designed the first simitar.

Stay Well

Ray
Looks like you got one heck of a deal.

I converted mine to electric pusher, it flys OK but real twitchy with the motor on.

I'll probably convert it to a tractor this winter, after all the other projects get done.

Tight turns,

Claude
Old Aug 27, 2009, 04:28 AM
Montville Queensland Australia
Joined Jul 2005
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude G. Vest
Looks like you got one heck of a deal.

I converted mine to electric pusher, it flys OK but real twitchy with the motor on.

I'll probably convert it to a tractor this winter, after all the other projects get done.

Tight turns,

Claude
Hi Claude,
I am seriously looking at converting this one to tractor as I believe it will thermal well. I was thinking of about 1500kv outrunner on 3 cells and a respectable folder either 12 x10 or 14 x 9.5.
Like you there are many projects in the line and at the moment I love flying it on the slope. I live in slope heaven I have the choice of 8 sites the furtherest it 25Km the closest 6 Km form home. I will post pics when it gets to the top of the heap.

Stay Well

Ray
fritz2460 is offline Find More Posts by fritz2460
Old Aug 29, 2009, 05:29 AM
Safety Beach Victoria Australia
Joined Jul 2007
56 Posts
Unreal

Claude G. Vest

wow what a thread, its fantastic. The amount of work you have put into this thread does you mega credit.

Foam cores are a no no for me, though i tried to cut some myself a long time ago and had some success , I guess i am more comfortable with the traditional balsa building method.

I plan to build a Polestar or Future shock if i can get the plans ( PDF tiled format is the preference ) as buying plans and getting them shipped to Australia is just plain insane, the cost just blows to the moon with postage.

Anyway congratulations on the thread, and yes i have joined the Yahoo groups mob.

Cheers TBBW
Tsurwolf is offline Find More Posts by Tsurwolf
Last edited by Tsurwolf; Aug 29, 2009 at 05:30 AM. Reason: misstype
Old Aug 29, 2009, 07:58 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,944 Posts
I agree with the compliments on the thread. Bill and Laddie and Ken all had a great effect on planes I built in the 80's and indirectly on my designs now. I would hate to see the information lost.

Bill Evans really stuck to the concept of the flying wings with his designs back in a time when it was not a mainstream design. The magazines liked planes designed by him because they weren't the same old thing. If you haven't built one try one. They will surprise you.
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Old Aug 30, 2009, 09:22 AM
Indiana
Joined Jan 2003
409 Posts
Video of the Desperado 3000 flying!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1103380

In avi and mp4 format.

Tight turns,

Claude
Old Sep 02, 2009, 10:05 AM
Indiana
Joined Jan 2003
409 Posts
Pole Star Picture

Sent to me by Peter Brady.

Tight Turns,

Claude
Old Sep 04, 2009, 10:09 AM
Indiana
Joined Jan 2003
409 Posts
More pictures sent to me.

These are from a member of the Yahoo group, I sorry I can't recall the person's full name.

This is the second version of a SPAD Simitar he built.

Tight Turns,

Claude
Old Sep 12, 2009, 08:54 AM
Indiana
Joined Jan 2003
409 Posts
Found another one

I was looking through the AMA archive and ran across this add.

Tight turns,

Claude
Old Sep 16, 2009, 08:19 PM
United States, IL, Peoria
Joined May 2003
790 Posts
Claude, glad to see you and Lisa are doing well. I have been flying electrics for the last 10 years. Still in Peoria, went back to CAT in 1999 through CAT Logistics and now work for Global IT in Bldg AD (who woulda thought?). A Lot of the guys are around ( Ron Stalter, Earl Vittitoe, Jerry Brandes, Dale Jenkins (boss), Mike Caprun, even Robin Miller!). You ever make the JR indoor festival ? http://www.jriefestival.com/
speed2004 is offline Find More Posts by speed2004
Old Sep 16, 2009, 09:02 PM
Indiana
Joined Jan 2003
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed2004
Claude, glad to see you and Lisa are doing well. I have been flying electrics for the last 10 years. Still in Peoria, went back to CAT in 1999 through CAT Logistics and now work for Global IT in Bldg AD (who woulda thought?). A Lot of the guys are around ( Ron Stalter, Earl Vittitoe, Jerry Brandes, Dale Jenkins (boss), Mike Caprun, even Robin Miller!). You ever make the JR indoor festival ? http://www.jriefestival.com/
If things work out I will be at the Pekin, Il Big Bird on the 20th, with my Desperado 3000.

I have been emailing Herman back and forth for a few years, and have always planned on a trip back in that neck of the woods.

As long as I can get someone to watch the pager for one of my co-workers so I don't have to, I'll be there this year.

His grandaughter is gravely ill in a hospital in Indianapolis.

Lisa won't be able to come though, as the plane is too big for the car, and although Lisa doesn't mind sitting in the back when we take the big plane to the field, I don't think she can hold three babies on her lap the whole way there. (mini-schnauzers)

Tight turns,

Claude
Old Sep 18, 2009, 10:08 AM
Indiana
Joined Jan 2003
409 Posts
found some more pics

Tight Turns,

Claude
Last edited by Claude G. Vest; Sep 19, 2009 at 10:21 AM. Reason: added entire article