HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2008, 10:13 AM
Indiana
Joined Jan 2003
410 Posts
The one of a kind Simitar plans as jpg files

Some of the files were too big to post here.

Some didn't scan well due to being pencil drawn on the back of other plans.

Tight Turns,

Claude
Claude G. Vest is offline Find More Posts by Claude G. Vest
Last edited by Claude G. Vest; Nov 24, 2008 at 05:07 PM. Reason: BIG problem with Pole Star X plan
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2008, 09:10 PM
Indiana
Joined Jan 2003
410 Posts
Thanks to Alan Galinko for these

scans of the Simitar 2100 plans.

The Simitar 2100 is basically a double sized, 100 inch wingspan, 540.

The model would really be a performer with one of today's gasser engines, or today's electric systems!

Tight Turns,

Claude

PS please join our Simitar Yahoo groups,

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Simitar/

and

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Simitar_two/

Lots of files and pictures to download!
Old Oct 26, 2008, 06:31 PM
Indiana
Joined Jan 2003
410 Posts
The only pictures that were taken.

At a Simitar core cutting demonstration I had at my workshop on October 25th.

My wife was to take more but got distracted.

Anyway, with building season fast approaching here in Indiana, USA, I'm laying up some cores for myself as well as cutting cores for a few others.

I've got to get two more of last year's projects out of the way first.

More pictures in a week or two.

Tight Turns,

Claude
Old Nov 01, 2008, 07:03 PM
Joined Oct 2005
61 Posts
I flew a simitar back in the late 70's. After a 20 year break from RC, I'm flying again. I'd like to get another simitar model. After reading some of the previous posts and doing some on line searching it appears that nobody makes kits today. I haven't seen any kits or new/used models on RCGroups, eBay, or the other RCxxxx site :-).

I'm usually a ARF builder (assembler). I have put together a number of kits but kit building is not my thing. Any suggestions? Does someone regularly make wing cores? (and sheet them?) After reading on here an unfortunate experieince with the AMA cores I'm not egar to try them.

Do you know of any site that regularly has models for sale? I'm looking for something in the .40 size range.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
MalibuSkier is offline Find More Posts by MalibuSkier
Old Nov 01, 2008, 07:42 PM
Fly Lite Fly Right
Joined Aug 2004
1,144 Posts
Unfortunately I don't know of much in the way of what I call Plank wings . I recently
saw this for a AMA add BigWing but its not for me . I have
followed Bill Evans stuff all of my modeling carer and have designed some of my
own planes because of the lack of anything to purchase . I am using a Favell airfoil
instead of the Scimitar . I like both airfoils . One thing I have noticed is careful attention
to the leading edge is very important .
As far as finding someone to sell you a built plane this is probably the best thread on
RCgroups or anywhere to post . Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuSkier
I flew a simitar back in the late 70's. After a 20 year break from RC, I'm flying again. I'd like to get another simitar model. After reading some of the previous posts and doing some on line searching it appears that nobody makes kits today. I haven't seen any kits or new/used models on RCGroups, eBay, or the other RCxxxx site :-).

I'm usually a ARF builder (assembler). I have put together a number of kits but kit building is not my thing. Any suggestions? Does someone regularly make wing cores? (and sheet them?) After reading on here an unfortunate experieince with the AMA cores I'm not egar to try them.

Do you know of any site that regularly has models for sale? I'm looking for something in the .40 size range.

Thanks!
Happymcc is offline Find More Posts by Happymcc
Old Nov 02, 2008, 12:58 AM
Joined Jun 2007
8 Posts
fast bill evans design

Hi
I like very much to start working on one of bill evans designs.
i want it to fly high speed and if possible to fly very fas high speed.
it should be with engine of .60 or bigger.
any recomendations?
dan
dan20041 is offline Find More Posts by dan20041
Old Nov 02, 2008, 10:09 AM
Joined Apr 2006
67 Posts
fast

shoe horn a 60 in any of the 40 sized ships and hang on. i've done this with severial ov bills birds and they tend to out run most of the raceing class
you do need to be on your toes on landing becouse of the extra weight, but dont worry, they maintain all there great handling, just faster. as for structure you must avoid trying to beef it up no need they are more than strong enough.
later and enjoy
nich
nich7734 is offline Find More Posts by nich7734
Old Nov 02, 2008, 10:14 AM
Joined Aug 2005
2,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuSkier

Thanks!
A couple of links for wing cores.

http://www.compufoamcore.com/

http://www.flyingfoam.com/launch.html

For a powered plane, a symmetrical airfoil will work just fine.

http://morrishobbies.com/product_inf...0f6629f3b2aa08
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Last edited by DT56; Nov 02, 2008 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Text
Old Nov 03, 2008, 10:14 AM
Indiana
Joined Jan 2003
410 Posts
I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by nich7734
shoe horn a 60 in any of the 40 sized ships and hang on. i've done this with severial ov bills birds and they tend to out run most of the raceing class
you do need to be on your toes on landing becouse of the extra weight, but dont worry, they maintain all there great handling, just faster. as for structure you must avoid trying to beef it up no need they are more than strong enough.
later and enjoy
nich
I installed an OS 61 FX on my Pole Star and it's a lot of fun.

My Simitar Classic has an OS 65 LA.

Both models enjoy nearly unlimited vertical, but will slow down to a crawl if asked to do so.

The Classic is a lot of fun to fly in high winds, about 1/4 throttle and hold the nose into the wind and it flys backwards.

Tight turns,

Claude
Old Nov 04, 2008, 12:37 AM
Abilene TX
Joined Apr 2008
6 Posts
Simitar wing cores

I can now cut wing cores for the Tracer 40 and Slo Motion. I can cut about anything else you want as well, just ask. Shoot me an email or private message if you need a set.

-Steve
www.eurekacnc.com
EZ Ahab is offline Find More Posts by EZ Ahab
Old Nov 18, 2008, 06:21 PM
Indiana
Joined Jan 2003
410 Posts
I'm Building Again. A Zippity-Do-Da this time.

I was going to try to build more than one model at a time, but work and other matters have been taking from my building time.

I'm building this Zippity-Do-Da with the intent of turning it into a training aircraft to be used next spring.

As always, please post your questions here.

Tight Turns,

Claude
Old Nov 23, 2008, 12:34 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1 Posts
Polestar EPO wing

Claude,

Tell me if I'm wrong, but I think the wing on the plan is a mirror image of the wings I see on both pics of the EPO : the leading edge has more sweep on the pics, more or less as much as the trailing edge on the plan ...

Any idea where the center of gravity should be? Is it okay to take the average chord and put the COG at the usual place ( as on a straight winged Scimitar, i mean)?

Best regards,

Kris G

P.S. attached is a pic of my Wiseguy, built from a sketch ( enlarged from the plan in RCM). It used to be powered by a OS 45 SF with pipe, now with by a piped Webra 61 speed.
KrisGeldof is offline Find More Posts by KrisGeldof
Old Nov 23, 2008, 05:36 PM
Indiana
Joined Jan 2003
410 Posts
You're not wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisGeldof
Claude,

Tell me if I'm wrong, but I think the wing on the plan is a mirror image of the wings I see on both pics of the EPO : the leading edge has more sweep on the pics, more or less as much as the trailing edge on the plan ...

Any idea where the center of gravity should be? Is it okay to take the average chord and put the COG at the usual place ( as on a straight winged Scimitar, i mean)?

Best regards,

Kris G

P.S. attached is a pic of my Wiseguy, built from a sketch ( enlarged from the plan in RCM). It used to be powered by a OS 45 SF with pipe, now with by a piped Webra 61 speed.
I didn't notice it until you posted.

I'll put a note on the posts, I hope no one has cut cores for this yet!

I'll fire an email off to my friend in Louisville, KY to confirm.

I would balance as you said, as all the other Simitars at 12-15% of MAC.

Nice wiseguy!

Tight Turns,

Claude
Old Nov 24, 2008, 05:17 AM
Indiana
Joined Jan 2003
410 Posts
Email from Gordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisGeldof
Claude,

Best regards,

Kris G

The answer to the question is yes.(the plans show the wing mirrored, i.e. the front is the back etc)

To my knowledge only two real EPO's were built, Bill's and mine.

Expert Pilots Only, wasn't chosen lightly. Its short span, big elevons and weight/power make it a serious ship for fun, but not for twitchy fingers...(course that's why dual rates were created :-).

I like the planform and the way it flys, the plane comes in for a landing with the nose very high sort of like the SST. Landing with a n empty fuel tank really helps get that look...or having the tank just over the CG works too :-).

Gordy
Old Nov 24, 2008, 05:56 AM
Izegem/Belgium
Joined Sep 2003
3 Posts
PoleStar X - PoleStar X EPO

There is a picture on page 6 of this thread, originally coming from Strykaas on RCU, but put there by Ed Moorman, showing a very similar configuration. It mentions the Pole Star X,but looks a lot like the EPO. Does anybody know what the difference is? Could this be a 3rd EPO in existence?

I am sooo happy there is finally some more information on this very exciting looking variant!

Best regards,

Kris
KrisG is offline Find More Posts by KrisG