HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 19, 2008, 10:49 PM
Vparanormal
United States, IL, Yorkville
Joined Aug 2007
37 Posts
Bill Evens wing design experiment

I have been flying Bill Evans designs for many years now. I have modified the airfoil platform thru trial and error and came up with something that looks very aggressive and actually improves the flight performance. I put a slight total wing positive dihedral (about 12 degrees) and on each wingtip I put a slight down dihedral (about the same 12 degrees). The outer wing portion that has negative dihedral is at the point of 15% to 17% of the total wing half length. See the attached pictures of my flying squadron.
animan109 is offline Find More Posts by animan109
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2008, 07:01 PM
Indiana
Joined Jan 2003
409 Posts
Repaired Desperado 3000

The repaired Desperado 3000 made six official flights tonight.

Only a slight trim adjustment was needed.

It will attend its first IMAA Big Bird event on the 23rd if the weather holds.

Tight turns,

Claude
Claude G. Vest is offline Find More Posts by Claude G. Vest
Old Aug 22, 2008, 07:02 PM
Indiana
Joined Jan 2003
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by animan109
I have been flying Bill Evans designs for many years now. I have modified the airfoil platform thru trial and error and came up with something that looks very aggressive and actually improves the flight performance. I put a slight total wing positive dihedral (about 12 degrees) and on each wingtip I put a slight down dihedral (about the same 12 degrees). The outer wing portion that has negative dihedral is at the point of 15% to 17% of the total wing half length. See the attached pictures of my flying squadron.

They look pretty good, have you made any drawings?

Or could you at least post some more pictures?

Tight Turns,

Claude
Old Aug 22, 2008, 07:30 PM
Kilsyth, Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2003
1,959 Posts
Dear Claude, Well done, Have been building and flying various Evans designs for years both in England and Australia and rave about eveyone. Never shredded one yet (probably too chicken!) but have sold them on after much use.
My current version of Zippity-Do-Da is shown here.
Himark 3526-830, 4S Lipo, Castle Creations ESC. All foam cut and very light. Love It!!!!!
David Hipperson is offline Find More Posts by David Hipperson
Old Aug 22, 2008, 07:59 PM
Kilsyth, Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2003
1,959 Posts
Dear Claude, Having just read page 5 thought I'd better toss in my five cents. Obviously from my photos you'll see that the Zippity is a tail dragger. Take off is easy and perfect (has been for three years - anyway). Power is opened up and after approx. 20 metres it simply climbs with a touch of up at about 45 degrees when the elevator is set to neutral. I still have rudder fitted simply because I can do some interesting aeros but I agree that it is not necessary.
I have always built from my Evans plans including foam cutting and always fully sheeting balsa glued in with latex glue.
A couple of my early versions were oily powered but since the mid-90's have always been electric powered.
David Hipperson is offline Find More Posts by David Hipperson
Old Aug 25, 2008, 10:55 AM
Suffern, NY
Joined Jul 2007
8 Posts
Need Info On Future Shock Simitar

Hello, I have just completed the repair on a Future Shock that I picked up but I do not know where the actual CG is supposed to be on this plane. I can not measure it clearly from the build article ( which Claude has posted on this link) I would also like to know what should the initinal throws be set at?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks Alan
Outlawtjet is offline Find More Posts by Outlawtjet
Old Aug 25, 2008, 06:59 PM
Indiana
Joined Jan 2003
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlawtjet
Hello, I have just completed the repair on a Future Shock that I picked up but I do not know where the actual CG is supposed to be on this plane. I can not measure it clearly from the build article ( which Claude has posted on this link) I would also like to know what should the initinal throws be set at?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks Alan
The balance point according to the plans is 2 3/16 inches back from where the wing meets the fuselage.

However I suggest you fly it nose heavy for the first few flights, say at about 2 inches back.

In order to set up any Simitar, draw a line from the point of the leading edge to the center of the trailing edge spar.

With the controls at neutral, set the elevons 1/8 to 3/16 inches above this line.

Set the nosewheel hight so that the point of the leading edge is about 1/8 inch higher than the than the center of the trailing edge spar.

Remember, flying wings and canards must be flown to, not into, the ground.

Let me know if you or anyone else need anything else!

Tight turns,

Claude

PS POST PICTURES PLEASE!
Old Aug 28, 2008, 09:35 PM
Indiana
Joined Jan 2003
409 Posts
Desperado 3000 Repaired

A total of seven flights were made before this photo was taken.

I had also removed the Perry Pump and Perry Carb, very disapointing after I had heard so much good about them.

The engine now has it's original carb, and runs much better, although it still needs to be run more as I do have a new ring in the engine and I don't think it's quite broken in as yet.

On the last flight of the day, I was on the downwind leg getting ready to make my turn to land and I heard a loud 'POP' and the engine had died.

The prop was freewheeling, plane landed OK.

I thought I had blown the engine, turns out the glow plug came unscrewed and that explained why I started to loose power. (but was also disapointing as my wife said if the engine was blown I could buy an OS BGX to replace it)

Anyway the plane is still airworthy after the repairs and I expect it will be flying for a good long time.

Tight turns,

Claude
Old Sep 07, 2008, 04:39 PM
Indiana
Joined Jan 2003
409 Posts
Simitar Experiments

As president of my local club, I issued a couple builder's challenges to our membership.

The first was to build a simple hand launch glider and bring it to our monthly meeting for a no frills, no prizes contest.

The first picture is of the simple hand launch glider I built for the event.

It is of couse a Simitar'ish design based on the last of my Sig 4" wide airfoil sheetwood.

The second builder's chalenge was to build a rubber powered free flight model.

The second picture is of my entry to that event.

Both models fly fairly well, but because I built them so heavily they don't go too far.

The last two pictures are of an experiment I am thinking of resurecting.

I only got blue foam to cut good the one time and this is what I made.

A Simitar Snoopy's doghouse, test glider.

I couldn't fing any lead or clay around the shop the day I made it so the stick was left long mostly for nose weight.

It did glide pretty straight and always seemed to land upright.

I tried to power it with one of my electric GWS motors, but it didn't work out.

It was just too underpowered.

Maybe later this winter when I have nothing better to do I'll try again.

Tight turns,

Claude
Old Sep 07, 2008, 06:22 PM
Vparanormal
United States, IL, Yorkville
Joined Aug 2007
37 Posts
Very creative!
animan109 is offline Find More Posts by animan109
Old Sep 18, 2008, 07:42 PM
Lafayette Cloud Jockey
Lafayette, In
Joined Sep 2008
499 Posts
Me

From what Ive seen Calude's Simitar flies awesome.
Not only an awesome builder, but one of the finest Flight instructors i've had.
Lucky to have learned how to fly with him!
Emmett
E-lcj is offline Find More Posts by E-lcj
Last edited by E-lcj; Sep 18, 2008 at 08:14 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 07:13 PM
AMA 125691
Jacksonville Florida
Joined Jul 2002
2,240 Posts
Desperado

Boy, this thread has brought back memories. I built this Desperado back in 1986 but was too scared to fly it. It then hung on the local hobby shop ceiling with a for sale sign on it for over a year. Guess no one else wanted to try it either. So I finally went and picked it up. I got it all set up with a K&B .40 and a mechanical sliding tray elevon mixer and one day just went for it. It flew great! One day about 2 years later it crashed. Not sure why it just stopped responding and went down in the bean field. I still have the wing which could be repaired, but the fuselage was destroyed. One day I'll resurrect it and convert it to electric!
wmcneal is offline Find More Posts by wmcneal
Old Sep 28, 2008, 03:05 PM
Indiana
Joined Jan 2003
409 Posts
Thanks to Gordy Soar

This weekend we both happened to be in and around Louisville, KY USA, on the same weekend.

Gordy gave me some stuff and loaned some other things to me.

Thanks again Gordy for the invitation into your home workshop!

I am now in posession of a few "one of" Simitar plans, one of which was hand drawn by Bill Evans on the back of another.

I have to copy a couple and return them to Gordy.

I do have the plans for the Pole Star X, AKA Expert Pilots Only.

Along with the forward swept Star Shot.

A couple more whose names escapes me at the moment.

I'll try to get them all copied and digitized for posterity.(spelling)

More in a few days.

If our Yahoo group can't hold them all, I'll start another Simitar group so all of the files will be available all of the time.

I'll send out another special announcement as soon as I'm able.

Tight turns,

Claude