HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 08, 2006, 06:24 AM
Indiana
Joined Jan 2003
411 Posts
Discussion
Simitar Astron Pole Star Classic Wiseguy

I have obtained all of the Bill Evans Simitar designs' original construction articles and have permission to email them to any who ask.

I HAVE POSTED THEM ALL ON IN THIS THREAD STARTING ON PAGE TWO!

So if you're looking for Saracen, Simitar, Simitar XV, Simitar 540, Simitar Twin, Pole Star or Polestar, Wiseguy, Centron, Sierra Trainer, Zippity do da, Future Shock, Bug's Ear, Deuce, Shooter, Future Sixty, Vader Down Under, Weedwacker, Simitar 61P, Slo- Motion or Slow Motion, Senior Slo-Motion, Astron, Astron 40, Desperado, Desperado 60, Desperado 3000, Tracer, Skywalker .049-.40-.60, Simitar Classic, Simitar Advantage, etc.

Just send me an email to my home address, cvest17@msn.com and tell me which ones or all, and I'll overflow your inbox!

Bill Evans is still arround and still Lives in Bishop, CA, and still sells cores and kits, send me an email and I'll send you his telephone number!

NOTICE BILL NO LONGER SELLS KITS OR CORES 09/10/10

(I've Digitized his latest flyer and can email that to you too!)
Claude G.Vest

I STILL AM ANSWERING ALL EMAILS, HOWEVER I DON'T ALWAYS GET CONFIRMATION FROM PEOPLE SAYING THEY GOT THEM.

IF YOU HAVEN'T GOTTEN A REPLY FROM ME WITHIN FOUR DAYS OF SENDING ME AN EMAIL PLEASE TRY AGAIN, AND BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR SPAM FILTER!
04/28/11
Claude G. Vest is offline Find More Posts by Claude G. Vest
Last edited by Claude G. Vest; Apr 28, 2011 at 10:08 AM. Reason: NOTICE
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2006, 02:54 AM
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,628 Posts
Hi,

Do you know of a source for foam wing cores for Bill's designs?

Thanks! Mickydee
mickydee is offline Find More Posts by mickydee
Old Apr 09, 2006, 06:17 AM
Indiana
Joined Jan 2003
411 Posts
Sources for Bill Evans' Foam wing cores

03/11/14 Bill Evans no Longer sells cores or kits.

TT,

CV

Bill Evans himself, is still around and cutting cores AND kits!
email me and I'll send you his telephone number!

Send me an email to my home address cvest17@msn.com and I'll send you his most recent flyer! I don't get anything from this, I built my first Simitar design last year, after flying it for a summer, I got rid of ALL of my other planes!

also, if you want the cores cut full airfoil, http://www.compufoamcore.com/

Give Les your wing planform dimentions,including the leading and trailing edge stock!!! what foam you want, and ask for the ESA-40 airfoil. ( I've used these before, I get either the blue or the white and tell him I'm sheeting with 1/32" stock, then I cover the wings with 3/4oz fiberglass cloth stuck on with WATER-BASED polyurethane varnish.)

Let me know if you need anything else!

Tight turns!

Claude
Last edited by Claude G. Vest; Mar 11, 2014 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Kits and cores no longer available through Bill Evans
Old Apr 09, 2006, 09:23 PM
Joined Jun 2004
2,125 Posts
gone fishing
FRAMEDNLVS is offline Find More Posts by FRAMEDNLVS
Last edited by FRAMEDNLVS; Aug 04, 2006 at 04:02 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 07:51 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Best flying planes out there!

I have been looking for these plans for a while. I had a scimitar slow motion 15 years ago. This thing is a pattern plane one minuet, and a two meter glider the next ! A very efficient design , will be building one for AP.

Thank you!!!!!!
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
Old Apr 10, 2006, 08:31 PM
Joined Apr 2006
67 Posts
thank you
all of the e-mail came through fine this is a wing nuttts dream.
thank you agine now off to build a dream
best lift and good fun
later
nich
nich7734 is offline Find More Posts by nich7734
Old Apr 16, 2006, 12:31 AM
Joined Feb 2004
733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude G. Vest
I have obtained all of the Bill Evans Simitar designs' original construction articles and have permission to email them to any who ask.

So if you're looking for Saracen, Simitar, Simitar XV, Simitar 540, Simitar Twin, Pole Star or Polestar, Wiseguy, Centron, Sierra Trainer, Zippity do da, Future Shock, Bug's Ear, Deuce, Shooter, Future Sixty, Vader Down Under, Weedwacker, Simitar 61P, Slo- Motion or Slow Motion, Senior Slo-Motion, Astron, Astron 40, Desperado, Desperado 60, Desperado 3000, Tracer, Skywalker .049-.40-.60, Simitar Classic, Simitar Advantage, etc.

Just send me an email to my home address, cvest17@wptc.us and tell me which ones or all, and I'll overflow your inbox!

Bill Evans is still arround and still Lives in Bishop, CA, his email is simitar40@aol.com send him an email with your telephone number and he'll call you!
(I've Digitized his latest flyer and can email that to you too!)
Claude G.Vest

Claude

Could you post pictures of Bill's airplanes?

Paul
flyingwings is offline Find More Posts by flyingwings
Old Apr 16, 2006, 09:36 AM
Indiana
Joined Jan 2003
411 Posts
Some Pictures from the original articles

Most of Bill's designs were for glow fuel, but make great electric flyers
Old Apr 16, 2006, 09:52 AM
Indiana
Joined Jan 2003
411 Posts
a few more

the last of my more presentable scans, plus two pictures of my latest with the inspiration for the color scheme, little Zoya
Old Jun 09, 2006, 08:28 PM
Joined Jul 2005
19 Posts
Hey Claude! Great thread!

I'd love to build....but I'm a novice builder. Are the Simitar designs a little out of a newbie's league?

Thanks!
Gary in PA is offline Find More Posts by Gary in PA
Old Jun 09, 2006, 09:54 PM
Indiana
Joined Jan 2003
411 Posts
Simitar Construction

The Simitar's are some of the easiest planes to build.

Almost all of the fuselages start out as a 1/4" sheet balsa boxes with usually only two 1/4" plywood formers.

The wings are foam covered with either 1/16" balsa or 1/32" or 1/64" plywood.

The wood is stuck onto the foam with double sided foam core tape from Bill Evans, I've tried the stuff sold to stick down vinyl floors, (not the stuff for carpets).

I have yet to have either tape release from the foam or wood without tearing up one or the other. (the tape can be lifted and repositioned, but after it sits overnight it's pretty well stuck, I put the cores back into the beds and weight them down overnight to prevent warping)

Bill Evans says most of his designs can be framed up is about six hours, lots of sanding to make those balsa boxes round, covered in another six, and a couple of hours installing the radio gear.

As soon as I complete my Simitar Classic, I'm going to build another Pole Star using 3/4 oz fiberglass cloth and water based polyurethane varnish and will try to take pictures and write a construction article and post it in the Yahoo Simitar group.

Might take a while, I'm my local club's president and flight instructor, so most of my spare time is devoted to that until winter.

Tight turns to all!

Claude G. Vest
cvest17@msn.com
(765)572-2980

If it ain't a Simitar, it's just something to fly circles around!
Last edited by Claude G. Vest; Mar 18, 2008 at 10:08 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 08:35 AM
Joined Jul 2006
298 Posts
Love those designs

Just got all the Simitars emailed and am looking forward to building one similar to the Pipe Dream for an E-Flite 370 outrunner. Just have to get the cores.

Pete
kf2qd is offline Find More Posts by kf2qd
Old Oct 11, 2006, 09:08 PM
A land Far, Far away
Joined Aug 2002
207 Posts
YES... how do you get the CORES??????
thanks, Bill
ElectroBill is offline Find More Posts by ElectroBill
Old Oct 11, 2006, 11:52 PM
New Castle, Pa
Joined Apr 2005
139 Posts
Seeing your post about Bill Evans designs has made my day. A couple of years ago I saw a Desperado 40 hanging on a wall at a swap meet. It was late in the day and the guy selling it just wanted to go home. I got it for $10.00 and spent the next several months researching it. Finally I found Bills E-mail address and sent him a message asking several questions about the plane and how to set it up. A few days later I got a phone call from Bill we talked for hours and he answered all my questions and more.

I got the plane all setup and adjusted and took it to my local field for a maiden. I had a few nose wheel issues but I finally got it of the ground. At first everything looked great it was going up at a nice steep angle showing plenty of power and then I tried to turn. Oops I have the ailerons reversed Oh No the plane was upside down when I set it up and then it flew through an oak tree. That was probably the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to me involving RC. I now triple check all my setups and then have some one else check it over before I fly it.

I definitely plan to build a new Desperado but I would appreciate it if you would send me all of Bills plans. If they fly as nice as that Desperado I will be building more

Captain
Captain351 is offline Find More Posts by Captain351
Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:11 AM
Indiana
Joined Jan 2003
411 Posts
I think Desperados are attracted to trees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain351
Seeing your post about Bill Evans designs has made my day. A couple of years ago I saw a Desperado 40 hanging on a wall at a swap meet. It was late in the day and the guy selling it just wanted to go home. I got it for $10.00 and spent the next several months researching it. Finally I found Bills E-mail address and sent him a message asking several questions about the plane and how to set it up. A few days later I got a phone call from Bill we talked for hours and he answered all my questions and more.

I got the plane all setup and adjusted and took it to my local field for a maiden. I had a few nose wheel issues but I finally got it of the ground. At first everything looked great it was going up at a nice steep angle showing plenty of power and then I tried to turn. Oops I have the ailerons reversed Oh No the plane was upside down when I set it up and then it flew through an oak tree. That was probably the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to me involving RC. I now triple check all my setups and then have some one else check it over before I fly it.

I definitely plan to build a new Desperado but I would appreciate it if you would send me all of Bills plans. If they fly as nice as that Desperado I will be building more

Captain
If memory serves, in one of the Desperado articles it mentions some one fly into a tree.

Tight turns,

Claude