HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 07, 2006, 03:12 PM
Joined Apr 2006
923 Posts
Discussion
Spektrum DX-6's receiver, failsafe, and robot receiver option

OK, relative newbie here, so this may be a dumb question or already covered.

The DX-6's standard airbourne receiver (AR6000) has a failsafe mode that puts only the throttle into a programmable setting and keeps all other channels at their last commanded positions. This is good, but has some potential drawbacks.

Spektrum also markets another receiver that is identical in every way, except it allows you to program the failsafe settings for ALL channels. It is the same price and can be purchased in a bundle with a TX at the same price. Model number is BR6000 and it is marketed to RC combat robot users. The added failsafe programmability is needed to shut down robot weapon systems. Range should be the same because it is just a firmware change on the AR6000 hardware as I understand it.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...odID=SPM6000BR

It seems to me that having a programmable setting for failsafe on ALL channels is a big advantage for aviation because it would eliminate the problem, for example, that the aileron channel was off center at the moment the signal was lost and therefore that the airplane would quickly enter a spiral dive. It would also give you a chance to program a circling pattern or maybe even do something like drop flaps to reduce crash impact speed.

So wouldn't this robot receiver be the hands-down better choice for rc aviation? Are people using them? Why wouldn't the AR6000 be made this way?
Barry2 is offline Find More Posts by Barry2
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2006, 10:34 PM
southbay ca
Joined Nov 2005
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry2
Spektrum also markets another receiver that is identical in every way, except it allows you to program the failsafe settings for ALL channels. It is the same price and can be purchased in a bundle with a TX at the same price. Model number is BR6000 and it is marketed to RC combat robot users. The added failsafe programmability is needed to shut down robot weapon systems. Range should be the same because it is just a firmware change on the AR6000 hardware as I understand it.

Barry,
That is correct. It is idential in performance to the AR6000. Only the failsafe is different.

Paul
Spektrum Team
dumthums is offline Find More Posts by dumthums
Old Apr 08, 2006, 01:46 AM
Indian Land, SC
Joined Dec 2005
401 Posts
When my reciever goes to failsafe it is no throttle and all surfaces straight. A start mode with no motor. Someplace I read, I thought that more settings were programable.
one2lose is offline Find More Posts by one2lose
Old Apr 08, 2006, 11:35 AM
Joined Dec 2004
217 Posts
Paul,

I like the BR6000 failsafe feature. Can my present AR6000 be reprogrammed? I would be willing to pay to have this done by Spektrum's factory or distributor.

rivers
rivers is offline Find More Posts by rivers
Old Apr 08, 2006, 11:44 PM
St. Pete, FL
Joined Feb 2006
292 Posts
Apparently, Horizon will exchange DX6 owners' AR6000 receivers for the BR6000 if you send your AR6000 to them. See article on DX6, "New Spektrum BR6000 Bot Receiver" at http://www.spektrumrc.com/Articles/HobbyWire.aspx.

--Van
van-c is offline Find More Posts by van-c
Old Apr 09, 2006, 02:07 PM
Joined Jul 2005
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry2
OK, relative newbie here, so this may be a dumb question or already covered.

The DX-6's standard airbourne receiver (AR6000) has a failsafe mode that puts only the throttle into a programmable setting and keeps all other channels at their last commanded positions. This is good, but has some potential drawbacks.

It seems to me that having a programmable setting for failsafe on ALL channels is a big advantage for aviation because it would eliminate the problem, for example, that the aileron channel was off center at the moment the signal was lost and therefore that the airplane would quickly enter a spiral dive. It would also give you a chance to program a circling pattern or maybe even do something like drop flaps to reduce crash impact speed.

So wouldn't this robot receiver be the hands-down better choice for rc aviation? Are people using them? Why wouldn't the AR6000 be made this way?
I'm also a combat robot builder, and when we reapeated asked Spektrum to do this we thought the same thing, "why would anyone want the failsafe behavior like this" for the stock Rx. The initail response we had gotten was that they didn't understand the request, and didn't want to have two software versions out.....blah blah blah. Basically "we made a mistake, and don't want to admit it". They did eventually decide to release it, which I find kind of amusing as there simply aren't all that many bot builders out there, compared to the far huger (by comparison) plane/heli markets.
In short, there is nothing keeping you from using the BR version in a plane. Were I to use the DX6 for anything I would only use this Rx.
koko76 is offline Find More Posts by koko76