HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2001, 01:15 PM
Burnsville, MN, USA
Joined Oct 2000
172 Posts
Sorry to hear 'bout the F-16's nose... Otherwise, count me in for pics and video

Regards,
- Razz
razzor7 is offline Find More Posts by razzor7
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2001, 03:52 PM
SJ
Denmark EKCH
Joined Apr 2001
1,590 Posts
Sheeesh....

Im about to put mine in the air too.
Reading things like this scares me a bit.

I feel for you man....
SJ is offline Find More Posts by SJ
Old Jul 08, 2001, 05:16 PM
CMFC Secretary (UK)
Swindon, UK
Joined Oct 2000
309 Posts
Sj - Don't be scared, just be prepared.

Out of the postmortem, I think I know what caused the crash - me. I didn't have enough control movement, as I was flying the taileron modification. The slower the airspeed, the less effective the control surfaces became. Also, the slower the airspeed, the less effective the fan becomes. I think I got myself into a vicious circle. Luckily, I maintained enough control to place the model flat and level within the cornfield.

Note to self : EDF, keep the speed up.
BioHazard is offline Find More Posts by BioHazard
Old Jul 08, 2001, 05:54 PM
2014 EDF JET JAM We be Jamming
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,846 Posts
That is too bad but you know what the problem was and this is a good thing. It is important that new EDF drivers realize that speed is life, not saying that it has to be fast to fly but the energy loss can be great and it takes awhile to get it back! Now get it repaired and back to flight duty.

Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Jul 08, 2001, 10:01 PM
Folsom,Ca,USA
Joined Apr 2001
992 Posts
Sorry to hear about bad luck.

At least you have an idea what caused it.

Don't you just hate the unexplained crashes, and the fear it will get you again because you don't know what went wrong?
Hope it goes back together with minimum fuss.

Dave
DaveW is offline Find More Posts by DaveW
Old Jul 09, 2001, 12:15 AM
CMFC Secretary (UK)
Swindon, UK
Joined Oct 2000
309 Posts
F-16 first flight - now for first rebuild

Spent all day building the Kyosho F16 yesterday ready for our clubs BBQ & Fun Scale Competition. It looked fantastic, scored well. Then came the flying part...

Off the Bungee well... needs more right taileron. Flew for about 1 minute, trimed out, nice model. Took up an orbit, but seemed to lose power. Never mind, it was over a corn field, so wings level for a smooth 'land away'.

I found the only boulder within the corn, taken the nose clean off, level with the cheat cooling holes.

There are times I hate this hobby...

Photos & MPG of the entire flight to follow, if anyone is interested...
BioHazard is offline Find More Posts by BioHazard
Old Jul 09, 2001, 01:54 PM
Cheshire, England
Joined Mar 2001
504 Posts
I've had a few flights with my F16 now, but seem to be 'hitting' a lot of 'dodgy bits' on the runway which is really taking its toll on the nose (about 5mm shorter than it should be!!).

The last landing resulted in a complete 'flip' which creased the nose upwards - I think those 'cheat holes' really weaken the structure at the front and will be installing carbon toes to strengthen before its next outing!

Main problem I'm having is that they glide forever!!! No wind + plenty of trees + short runway = disaster

Keep me in mind for some pics / vid footage though - nice to see how other 'examples' fair!

Cheers
Richard.
Dangerous Dick is offline Find More Posts by Dangerous Dick
Old Jul 15, 2001, 05:29 PM
Redmond, WA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
752 Posts
under the heading "for what it's worth", I've found the cheater holes unnecessary on my F-16--just plugged the backside with some foam scrap and polyurethane glue to reinforce the strength of the nose in that area.
Also found (the hard way) that F-16 noses can be reattached a fair number of times--use lightweight spackle to fill the inevitable dings and crease marks. I'm putting some lightweight fiberglas on my next one to further strengthen--but if the nose is the first thing to catch on landing, it's going to break somewhere....

Steve Guty
sguty is offline Find More Posts by sguty
Old Jul 15, 2001, 06:07 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Anyone have a broken F16 fuse they no longer need? I need to rework the inlet on mine, and I'm thinking of hacking the entire bottom section off and rebuilding. If I could get one of these that's lost it's nose and is otherwise trashed, it would save me some effort..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jul 15, 2001, 06:56 PM
SJ
Denmark EKCH
Joined Apr 2001
1,590 Posts
Hmmm Still a bit scared to fly mine :-)
Mine looks nice too. I dont like the thought of dings and scratches on it :-)

Just made a pic of mine.
http://bornholm.adsl.dk/modelfly/
SJ is offline Find More Posts by SJ
Old Jul 15, 2001, 10:55 PM
p471701
n/a Posts
sj: nice looking falcon............gregg