Old Apr 07, 2006, 03:02 AM
Joined Jul 2005
15 Posts
Discussion
E-S Lama II Vs E-S Honey Bee

Hi all,
I am new in flying helis and i am ready to choose betwen lama II & honey Bee
Whice one to buy and why?
I like to fly outdoor most of the times.

Thank you in advance
Gregory
ggregory is offline Find More Posts by ggregory
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2006, 03:55 AM
Great White North
Joined Dec 2005
669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggregory
Hi all,
I am new in flying helis and i am ready to choose betwen lama II & honey Bee
Whice one to buy and why?
I like to fly outdoor most of the times.

Thank you in advance
Gregory
Welcome

I can answer this question I think. I have only been flying RC for less than a year. I have a BCX that is in the repair shop waiting for parts. I have a lama 2 coming and I have a Corona that has 1 flight done by an expert RC pilot just to make sure everything was OK. other than that it's done little more than run it's motor being tied down sitting in place.

The way I see it is this. If you are New to RC, just not helis then you are either better off getting a coaxial type bird and work your way up. If you have some RC experiance under your belt I would still say either got coaxial or BIG. The coaxials do not fly well out doors but they give you a good sense of what your in for. If your going to be flying outside, then BIG is the answer.

Reason, WIND, small helis get pushed around by even the slightest breeze.

Fixed pitch helis are a little easier to fly than collective pitch, but are limited in there function.

If I was going to do it from the start again, I would get a coaxial to play around with and a heli flight sim. and then would go to the 30 plus size of electric.

Robert
qbert55ca is offline Find More Posts by qbert55ca
Old Apr 07, 2006, 05:24 AM
snɹɹıɔoʇl∀
United Kingdom, England, Southampton
Joined Dec 2005
394 Posts
Quote:
Fixed pitch helis are a little easier to fly than collective pitch
I disagree. CP helis have a higher head speed, resulting in greter stability and control. I learnt to fly on a FP hummingbird, but got myself a twister 3D recently. It's not a lot bigger, but flies SO much better. Incredibly stable, smooth and fast. Not for indoors though.

I'm glad I learnt to fly on the hummer though- if you can hover a FP micro heli you can hover pretty much anything.
Altocirrus is offline Find More Posts by Altocirrus
Old Apr 07, 2006, 06:02 AM
Joined Jul 2005
15 Posts
Now i am comfused. I have experiance flying R/C airplanes but i like to know whice one is the best to start. Both helis will cost me around 170 E here in Greece. Please help me to take the rigth desition.

Thanks
Gregory
ggregory is offline Find More Posts by ggregory
Old Apr 07, 2006, 06:59 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Trust me, I had a Honeybee CP Heli & it was extremely difficult to fly but last week a Buddy let me fly his Blade CX & I was getting the hang of it pretty quick. I got so frustrated & broke from buying parts that I sold the Honeybee CP & now have bought a Lama II with the money. I would definitely get a Blade CX or Lama II before getting a CP Heli.

Just my 2 Cents.

-Mike-
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
Old Apr 07, 2006, 01:36 PM
Joined Apr 2006
44 Posts
I do not have any doubt about it... even if you have some experience is micro helis, I would chose again Lama II -take a look at the new V3, itīs pretty cool- . After a year Iīm still in love with my Lama in every little sense, and i think this romance will last for a long time.
170 euros en Greece? Thatīs a lot boy! Here in spain you cab find it in street shops por 140, and if you order to China, about 100 € shippment and everything included.
And remember, do not fly your Lama outdoors; a very light breeze will take it away from your control.
Good luck and listen to us!!!
batracio is offline Find More Posts by batracio
Old Apr 07, 2006, 04:06 PM
Joined Mar 2006
23 Posts
Here's my experience...

I bought a .46 size TSK gas (well, glow fuel) heli about 7 years ago. The thing was expensive and scary for a beginner. I loved it!! But didn't fly it very much. I got maybe 10 flights in with training gear before I put it away. No bad crashes. Just hovered tail-in and broke the tail fins a few times. I put plenty of hours on the simulator. Haven't flown the TSK (or any RC craft) in 6 years. Just too much work to get to the field.

A couple of weeks ago I picked up a Lama2 on ebay. Just came across it and it piqued my interest. I have flown it every night since it arrived. I'm the kind of guy that likes hovering and flying from coffee table to kitchen counter and back again. I love that you can fly it in the house. Don't have to worry about weather. And I can't believe how durable it is. I've crashed about 30 times and I'm just getting more and more comfortable with it.

And it's relatively cheap (but I guess the HB is too, huh?) I'm comparing to the TSK. I did consider the HoneyBee but I chose the Lama because, from what I could tell, it was less maneuverable and more stable than the HB. I just thought I would have more fun with something that didn't jerk around too much when I accidently goosed one of the controls too far. So far I'm really pleased and getting a lot of flying time in. As I get better I'll probably jump up to something more agile.

I think you'll enjoy the Lama.
dogwire is offline Find More Posts by dogwire
Last edited by dogwire; Apr 07, 2006 at 04:13 PM.