HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2008, 02:14 PM
PALMDALE, CA
Joined Feb 2007
13 Posts
Hey Tom, do you know any outfit that makes good sound systems for rc boats? i wanted to get one for the orca. thanx nick.
CAPT. NICK is offline Find More Posts by CAPT. NICK
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2008, 06:26 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,610 Posts
JJC Electronics is deceased. In any case, Model Solutions of Canada make what looks on paper to be a far superior unit. And the sound byets I have would seem to confirm that.

http://www.modelsolutions.ca/

If the price of a sophisticated unit like that from MSofC is too much for your budget, there are the 'basic' units from RAM models.

http://www.ramrcandramtrack.com/
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Feb 27, 2008, 06:38 PM
PALMDALE, CA
Joined Feb 2007
13 Posts
Thanks Tom!!
CAPT. NICK is offline Find More Posts by CAPT. NICK
Old Feb 28, 2008, 06:50 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,610 Posts
Update: 2/28/08

Darn! I wish this had been February 29 instead!

It was a very good day, weather wise. Upper 70's, very light breeze. Had to put the shade umbrella up but that made it real nice on the dock.

Cap'n Brad was there and had his usual SkDaddle and sailboat. Cap'n Richard was motoring around in the Equipage Riviera 80.

Todays spotlight is on new Irregulars member, Cap'n Kim (avidjeeper) and his Smit Rotterdam tug. Kim has been out here a couple times before, but this time I actually took names! He has a Proboat Blackjack brushless catamaran. It is a damn beautiful boat, and it is blisteringly fast on the water! Kim says it is all bone stock and he runs it on two NiMh packs. I tell you what, for an out of the box boat this thing is set up nice!

He had the maiden voyage today of his Smit Rotterdam from Graupner's "Premium Line" (made by Tian Jie?). It is missing the front crane, was not in the box. It also has plastic props substituted for the brass props it was 'supposed' to come with. (Distrubutor error?)

The boat is a fine looking model. Running is a different story. I drove this boat and it has some serious shortcomings that need to be addressed. For one, it needs more ballast. It sits too high above the waterline and lists severely in turns. The motors are 550 type and instead of low rpm torque types, they are high rpm and direct drive! You can barely crack the throttle and this thing is waaaay beyond scale speed and throwing water off the bow like a runabout. So driving it is a bit of a challenge to keep the speed down. The esc is a 12V, non-programmable type. So running the boat and trying to keep the speed down makes the esc overheat and thermally shut down leaving the Smit dead in the water.

He has two SLA batteries in it but it is going to need some lead. And the motors probably should either be swapped out for correct types or gearboxes added. Outside of these issues, it is a very nice model.

Welcome to the group of scalawags, dirty dogs, and reprobates!
Old Feb 28, 2008, 08:09 PM
What is this a center for ants
United States, CA, Beverly Hills
Joined Jul 2007
2,277 Posts
Thanks Tom, It was fun. I love the Blackjack, the Smit,,, I changed the ESC (dynamite) like you suggested and it works a lot more to scale. Still no reverse.
avidjeepr is offline Find More Posts by avidjeepr
Last edited by avidjeepr; Feb 28, 2008 at 08:50 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 09:19 PM
Los Angeles
Joined May 2006
250 Posts
Another beautiful day for RC boating. Sorry I couldn't make it.

As usual - thanks for the update!
u163665 is offline Find More Posts by u163665
Old Feb 28, 2008, 09:42 PM
Owner of SSY
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Oct 2005
561 Posts
It sounds like what he may need to do is put some higher capacity 6 Volt batteries in this model along with some more weight to trim her out.
W.L Upshaw is offline Find More Posts by W.L Upshaw
Old Feb 28, 2008, 10:32 PM
Cmdr. Reid 48th Fleet
SoCal
Joined Jul 2007
706 Posts
looks like u had a nice day out!! i wish i could have been there!!!!
Reid is offline Find More Posts by Reid
Old Feb 28, 2008, 11:33 PM
Owner of SSY
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Oct 2005
561 Posts
Reid:
You were in school...where your supposed to be <grin>

Are you going to make it down to Huntington Beach for the Task Force-96 run this Sat?
W.L Upshaw is offline Find More Posts by W.L Upshaw
Old Feb 28, 2008, 11:57 PM
Port of Louisville
Joined Apr 2007
252 Posts
Lee, you have any plans to be in St Louis one september?
Norway2112 is offline Find More Posts by Norway2112
Old Feb 29, 2008, 04:48 AM
Age quod agis
Joined Sep 2007
1,434 Posts
Is that the Smit that is available through RC Scale Models? Looks good.

With a little of the Kmot Midas touch it will be sweet.

What props are you thinking of?

I would hold off on switching the motors until you get the correct props and add a bunch of weight to it. Remember that it will be alot lower in the water with the extra weight which equates to increased drag. You actually might need the higher rpm motors.
SD RC Boater is offline Find More Posts by SD RC Boater
Old Feb 29, 2008, 10:00 AM
What is this a center for ants
United States, CA, Beverly Hills
Joined Jul 2007
2,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD rc boater
Is that the Smit that is available through RC Scale Models? Looks good.

With a little of the Kmot Midas touch it will be sweet.

What props are you thinking of?

I would hold off on switching the motors until you get the correct props and add a bunch of weight to it. Remember that it will be alot lower in the water with the extra weight which equates to increased drag. You actually might need the higher rpm motors.
It is the same,Thanks. The speed controller that came in it was wrong, after I switched it out the rpm's are perfect. I had two six volts taped together in the center of the boat, I will move them apart and start adding some weight it. The Prop shop has the Brass props I need but its a hundred bucks for the two props and the two spacers that are needed.-
avidjeepr is offline Find More Posts by avidjeepr
Old Feb 29, 2008, 12:06 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD rc boater
I considered this too. But in my experience with my PT boat, which at one time was loaded twice as much as normal, the thing did not slow down much. In fact, in choppy water it was still fast enough to come out of the water, unload the motors, and shatter the drive lines when it lowered back into the water.

Better props and lower rpm, higher torque motors will help this boat. At a very minimum, I would toss the cheesy too small anyway 'heat sinks' and put steel torque rings on the existing motors.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 05:00 PM
Age quod agis
Joined Sep 2007
1,434 Posts
Did you have to buy another speed control or did RC Scale models give you the correct one?

Also why buy the props when the disrtributor gave you the wrong ones?

I will say that Prop shop props are very good. I have 2 counter rotating 3 and 1/2 inch 4 blade ones and they are sweet.

I would first try to get RC Scale Models to get you the correct props that it was supposed to come with along with the missing crane, and then if you want to get the Prop Shop props then that's cool.

What speed control did you go with?

Are the 2 6 volt batteries you have in the Smit in series or parallel for a total output of 6 volts or 12 volts. I am thinking 6 volts.

Good luck. I will be most interested in what the final outcome is with the Smit as I would like to purchase one myself, however it seems as though RC Scale Models is still having some issues. If they can get these "issues" resolved to the satisfaction of the customers, then they would be on to something.

Kmot;

PT boat is a planing hull, tug hull is not. You still have a valid point though. I am sure that with your golden touch you guys will get the Smit dialed in just fine.
SD RC Boater is offline Find More Posts by SD RC Boater
Old Feb 29, 2008, 07:18 PM
Cmdr. Reid 48th Fleet
SoCal
Joined Jul 2007
706 Posts
@lee: no... i have a volleyball game and tons of studying to do
Reid is offline Find More Posts by Reid