HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:11 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers1940
True, it's hard to believe a pilot would even attempt a takeoff in weather like that.
That pilot, yes- Lot of little factors made it bad... (as is the case ususally) AOPA recently wrote an analysis of this accident for their magazine that was quite telling-

Hee hee, sorry Kmot... but at least we aren't talkin' sheetboats anymore!
Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:15 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,688 Posts
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:19 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,104 Posts
Uh, beers?

Back to the cameras!
Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:22 PM
What is this a center for ants
United States, CA, Beverly Hills
Joined Jul 2007
2,277 Posts
OOO, A camera, beer boat.
avidjeepr is offline Find More Posts by avidjeepr
Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:54 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,104 Posts
Oooooooooooo...

(Hee hee, don't get me started! )
Old Jul 14, 2009, 12:27 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,450 Posts
jeeper, that is one way to make sure that everyone is facing the camera camoflage it (the camera) as a beer bottle.

As for the day the music died none of those guys was much of a druggie (the big bopper (JB Richardson) was reputed to have a small alcohol problem).... Here is an easy trivia qyestion there were four seats in the airplane and they drew straws to see who got off the tour bus with no heat. Who lost the draw and had to ride the bus and thus saved his life? Here is a hint he died of complications of Diabetes a few years ago.
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Jul 14, 2009, 12:46 AM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,453 Posts
I believe you're talking about Waylon Jennings. I have seen him interviewed a couple of times years ago where he talked about the events of that night. He lost the coin toss and got a long, cold bus ride that night to the next performance venue, but "won" a long, productive life.
jeepers1940 is offline Find More Posts by jeepers1940
Last edited by jeepers1940; Jul 14, 2009 at 12:53 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 02:04 AM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,688 Posts
R/C beer serving vehicles.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 07:42 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,450 Posts
on the nose Jeepers!
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Jul 16, 2009, 01:35 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,688 Posts
Update: 16 July 2009

HDI Early Edition

avidjeepr, woodybob, and myself arrived early this morning to capture the Dufresnes' maiden voyage on film while the water was flat, the light was golden, and the temperature was cool. I arrived at 0645 and Kim was already there. Pat arrived shortly thereafter.

Kim launched the Big D and we started taking pictures. Manny showed up right about then with his Newport sheetboat.

After we finished the photo session Sausage Dog arrived with his airboat, then Brad wandered in, and finally Cobra Man and his partner Richard.

Manny got his boat rigged and launched, and it was able to sail in the very light wind.

By that time it was 0830, the sun was getting hot, and the Junior Lifeguards were invading the area so I bailed.

Video of Kims "Le Duf" will be in his thread on the Dufresne.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 02:56 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,120 Posts
Great shot Kmot.

I dig the way the sun light is hitting the sails.
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Jul 16, 2009, 03:49 PM
What is this a center for ants
United States, CA, Beverly Hills
Joined Jul 2007
2,277 Posts
More!
avidjeepr is offline Find More Posts by avidjeepr
Old Jul 16, 2009, 04:23 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
Joined Apr 2007
3,286 Posts
Great pics!!! AJ the Dufrense looked great on the water this morning!!! I think you have a show winner! The rest of the day only got hotter. Although there was a breeze blowing. We managed to get 5 sheetboats out on the water. A couple of Soling 1meters, a US1meter, a Victors Avalon 44, and my Newport12. I was on the water for over four hours. Heat was bearable until about One when the wind just died and my guess the temperature was over 100 degrees. I await patiently for the Cobraman to post some pics of sheetboat Thursday.
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Jul 16, 2009, 04:37 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,705 Posts
Too many sheetboats and that dock still isn't fixed. Hell of a way to run a Navy. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Old Jul 16, 2009, 07:26 PM
"Irregular's Cobra Man"
Palmdale, CA
Joined Apr 2008
676 Posts
Cobra Man Report

When Rich (Lancaster Rich) and I arrived at the dock, it was approximately 8:30 a.m., there was a mass exudes. In passing, I heard a remark to the effect, there's just too many Sheetboats and its making me gag. I hisssssssed and continued to unload my Sheetboat.

* Cap'n Brad sailed his One Meter Sheetboat and his red speed boat.

* Cap'n gpzy (Manny) Sailed his impressive Newport 12 Sheetboat, in light and heavy winds as they gusted on the pond.

* Cap'n Rich (The Sausage Man) Sailed his Soling Sheetboat, which he kept loosing, when we had five boats on the water and he was sailing everyones boat except his own. He also ran his swamp air boat, which he has dialed in pretty good now.

* Cap'n Kim-Ster, hung back with the Sheetboater's and entertained us with jokes and enlightened us on the details of different fish smells.

* Cap'n Rich (from Lancaster), maddened his newly acquired Soling and did exceptionally well, l piloting his new Sheetboat. I think we have another Sheetboater Cap'n we can add to the Irregular's roster. Sorry Tom, but once a guy pilots a Sheetboat, there's no turning back. LOL Rich also ran his Marlin.

Temp was 104 degrees when we left the dock at 1:45 p.m., Cobra Man weather... Hissssssssssssss hissssssssssssssss.
Bilge_Snipe is offline Find More Posts by Bilge_Snipe