SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by mrm1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 06, 2006, 12:31 PM
Fly a LiL' Lower Will Ya!
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Discussion
Getting into Something New

Well I thought I would try a few new things this week.

First is the RCG blogs. I thought I would start a Personal RCG blog about my flying and the fleet I fly. I have a blog of my own in another location, but it is primarily for my PodCast to keep it updated (Oh, If you are interested in receiving my weekly PodCast just add this line to your Pod Catcher: http://feeds.feedburner.com/BethelPodcasts or visit the URL to learn more about PodCasts.)

So, Since it seems most of the stuff I rant about crosses over motor, battery and plane lines. And starting a thread on one limits my discussion to only the one, I thought I would open a Blog about my over all RC experiences.

The Second thing I thought I would try New this week was Sail Planes. I had been wanting a sail plane since last summer and A few weeks ago I saw on the Air-Borne Models site a World Models EP Sailor w/ geared 550 motor in the scatch and dent for $69. It was only a damaged box, but the model was complete. Well that is all it took to get me started. I ordered it and it arrived just a few days later.

Well, Got it up and running yesterday, and did a maiden this AM. This is my first experience with a large 2 meter sail plane. Weather was perfect (but a little cool - so no thermal activity that I found).

Well all I can say is ... "Sail Planes are Cool" This thing is RC Fun on a whole new Level. I only flew one pack in it today - a Thunder Power 2100 3s prolite. It was too much amperage on the motor at WOT so I never went above 1/3 power. Got 2 flights on one pack for about 25 minutes total.

To make the power system work with the over volted, over amped battery, I set the MedUSA Rearch Spectrum 50 ESC up to the Linear Throttle Setting instead of the default Exp Throttle. This allow the ESC to never deliever more than 7v to the motor at 1/2 throttle:

Quote:
Throttle Modes
2.1. Linear Throttle
The position of your throttle directly translates to the voltage applied to the motor. For example, having the throttle at 75% in this mode means the voltage on the motor is 75% of the voltage at the battery pack. This however, does not mean the power the motor puts out is directly translated.
This seemed to work out very well, but I will be investing in some 2s packs in the near future to give them a try

The Model was suppose to weigh 3 lbs, but using a lipo and doing some other weight saving messures, I was able to get it down to 38 oz and going to a different brushed motor and a 2s instead of 3s will get it about 3 oz liter still.

Looking forward to some happy sailing this summer with the World Models EPSailor.

Mike
mrm1 is offline Find More Posts by mrm1
Last edited by mrm1; Apr 06, 2006 at 01:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2006, 06:15 PM
Just one more plane!
Port Saint Lucie, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2004
2,537 Posts
Good Deal on the Sailor Mike!

Maybe one of the new Tanic 5000 mAH 2 cells might be worth checking out for that bird. I'm still trying to get my Skimmer finished. But now that we are getting closer to Hurricane season I may be getting a bit busy. To much fun not enough time!

John
JWarren is offline Find More Posts by JWarren
Old Apr 08, 2006, 08:56 PM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
The Florida Radar Screen

Wow, what a day here in N. Fl. Started off with heavey winds and now tornado warnings this afternoon and evening. So no flying today, but I could dream.

For me, I spent the day doing a bunch of nothing. We did an Easter egg hunt with about 50 kids and I played with the New WM EP Sailer glider and New Eagle Tree Micro Power data logger.

Seems the motor temp is pretty good in 2 minutes of run time at 1/2 throttle. With the temp probe connected, it was at about 88 dgrees during the 2 minutes bench test. I had notice the other day in flight that the motor by the time I landed was so hot that you did not want to touch it.

After the 2 minute run, I let the motor set connected to the temp prob for another 10 minutes Over the next 8 minutes sitting idle it jumped up over 125. So I am thinking air flow is the key here. The model has no real air flow built in, but I uncovered a large hole in the front bottom. This should keep in cool. The back is already open for push rods.

At 1/2 throttle the motor was taking about 25 amps and on a 3s TP Prolite 2100 the pack was at about 10.2v under load. This would give me over 225 watts. And at 3/4 throttle burst for just a split second, the watts jumped up to nearly 350. All of this power for a 2.8 lbs (38oz) 2 meter GLIDER !!

I am looking forward to the next day that I can get out and glide. It has been real fun. I want to put the temp prob and logger in for a full flight to see how the motor temp rises and falls in flight.

Hook for now,
see ya in the air

Mike
Old Apr 13, 2006, 04:05 PM
Warbird crazy!
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Sep 2004
3,732 Posts
Hey Mike

That is a very cool plane. I always enjoy seeing a powered glider or sail plane at our field.

What set up do you have that is doing 350 Watts .
She probably climbs straight up.

John
new2rc is offline Find More Posts by new2rc
Old Apr 13, 2006, 10:23 PM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Yes John and Christo, it is more like an Acro-Glider. I have to trim it with down when I power up to climb just to keep the nose down.

I never run it above 1/2 throttle.

Set up is a 550 can motor like what comes stock with the SSEP, and an 18 tooth pinion gear box similar to a GP GD600.

It came with a 13" prop and I fly it with a 3s 2100. Recommended is a 7 cell hump pack 1800
Old Apr 28, 2006, 11:20 AM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
New Flying Site

Well I found a new site a few days ago about 8 minutes from my house. A large 2 ball field, soccor field, dried up lake bed turned football practice field size area ... and it seems no one really uses the place for much of anything. It is flanked by trees on all sides.

Some guys from my club claim to have tried it there, but felt is was too small. So I had to go and test it out for myself. I thought it would be a great place to fly gliders. Has a nice long landing area right up the middle of this "ravine". Then it opens out to the soccor field. The approach possibilities looked almost picture-esk.

So yesterday I packed up the 2 meter sail plane and headed over just at sunset. perfect conditions. Wind from the NNW at about 5-7 mph. Take off throw was into the wind, but this left for a down wind landing as I was on the far end of the field. But I would deal with that later, for now it was time to fly. Ended up with about 13 minutes in the air. Family got bored of it or I could have went on at least 2x's that long. Great flight

Landing was picturesque just as i had predicted. no problems at all landing from the NNE with a NNW wind. came in perfect over the trees and glid right down the middle of the "ravine" to land at my feet.

Looks like I have a new glider site. And I think there is plenty of room for foamies and other medium size electrics too. In fact, I think I will head over there again late this afternoon

Mike
Last edited by mrm1; Apr 28, 2006 at 11:33 AM.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 01:13 PM
Warbird crazy!
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Sep 2004
3,732 Posts
Very cool Mike, congrats on the new site!

It is funny how family members just don't get it .

Now if you can get a long row of low in door out door, you could have a site for the SS EP and maybe even the Sportster.

John and Christo
new2rc is offline Find More Posts by new2rc
Old Apr 28, 2006, 09:51 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
I don't bring my Teenage daughters when I go fly and especially my Gentle Lady motorized Glider. If my mother comes with me....as long as she has a cold water bottle and shade then, no problem but, my duaghters are another story.

The longest I have been able to keep my glider up with multiple lifts using the APOGEE 2480mAH, 2S1P, 12C, Li-POLYs have been 47 minutes and change. The longest soaring I have been able to fly her without power was 22 minutes on a good day with thermals.

Looks like you can go longer Mike!
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:18 PM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Carlos, she was not the one complaining. It was the Gallery behind me: Wife, Mother-in-Law, Father-in-law, other (older daughter) and boy friend

no the one in the pic was happy

and yes, I thing 30 min plus would be no problem.

Shopping for deals on a 2s 2000 + pack now.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:31 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm1
Carlos, she was not the one complaining. It was the Gallery behind me: Wife, Mother-in-Law, Father-in-law, other (older daughter) and boy friend

no the one in the pic was happy

and yes, I thing 30 min plus would be no problem.

Shopping for deals on a 2s 2000 + pack now.
Oh, okay....would have never figured out

Yes, 2S Li-POLY packs with moderate to high "C" rating is what you need to make this glider of yours fly very well and super light!

Good luck!
Old Aug 21, 2006, 11:24 PM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Something old ... Something new

After a summer of destroying 2 other foam planes , I decided to order the parts to get the Great Planes U-Can-Do 3D foam back in the air. It had taken some abuse back in early summer and got stripped for parts and shelved. But it was always my favorite.

Got the few little parts in today and sat down at the bench to "Shoo-Goo" some wing and fuse breaks. Had to install a servo too.

The faithful Himax HC 2812-0850 had had a summer of abuse. It was in the foam Raven when the battery flew off in a flat spin about 50' up. Battery hit the paved runway, it was mangled. Plane and motor free fell and nosed in, but no damage to the motor. Now It was right at home again fitting nicely in the U-Can-Do.

After gluing the U-Can-Do back together and installing all electronics, It was ready to go .... but alas, it was now dark . What to do. Hmmm .... wife is in the shower Check out the Video.

Re-maiden U-Can-Do Flight
Old Aug 21, 2006, 11:44 PM
AMA #851612
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2005
1,617 Posts
Had a couple nice hovers there, Mike! My wife would shoot me!!
BIGDANO is offline Find More Posts by BIGDANO
Old Aug 21, 2006, 11:49 PM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Thanks Dan, I am really bad at the hover, but to me the video was funny Hope everyone gets a laugh out of it
Old Aug 22, 2006, 04:57 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Hey, I counted at least 4 nice hovers that lasted more than 7 seconds!

I like the one when you allowed the model go into the fire place mantel and you seem to say something ....oh, not a scratch...
Old Aug 22, 2006, 08:01 AM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guapoman2000

I like the one when you "allowed" the model go into the fire place mantel and you seem to say something ....oh, not a scratch...
Not exactly .... Oh how about a 1.5" x 1/4" nick/cut in the mantle. That was hilarious . We later found the chip and can glue it back in

As to hovering, I realized 2 things about that video:
1. that is the first time in 2 months I have even attempted it
2. after the video I got on the simulator to my favorite hover plane (a modified cap 232 that is fairly simple to hover) and found I could hardly hover it either.
Guess I was rusty! to say the least. But the whole flgiht last night was not staged to shoot a video, it was birth out of a despiration to fly the UCanDo. I was in the shop and had it powered up WOT while holding the canopy and was letting it go for just a few seconds. I thought, "wife is having a group meeting in the living room tomorrow night ... and the couches are all pushed back ... FLYING FIELD !" Yep, that's how it came about.

Mike