HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 04, 2002, 07:30 PM
The One....
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
5,813 Posts
Hobby Lobby's Super Cub wing problem

Hello all, and specially greetings to those who have build and flown the Super Cub.

I am in the process of building a HL Super Cub and read threads concerning it's death in flight, due to it's wings problem, due to it's weak structures (?) and strength.

After reading the Paul Balint's website, that got me doing and following it's modification's (Thanks Paul) but there was no comment and the modification's made, but the website has been a guide to me.
http://paulsplanes.fws1.com/supercub.htm

I have not touch the wings, waiting for every all other things to finish and get back to it. I have a couple ideas of my own, but hold it off, for the fear of putting weight to it, that would enable the Super Cub of it's authoritarian flight.

I am near finishing the Cub. two more hours, I am done

Here is my progress
Fuse rudder/elev. finish
genovia is offline Find More Posts by genovia
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2002, 07:32 PM
The One....
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
5,813 Posts
Now this is my main concern, and where I left off, until I can get some good advice on what to do.

The wings.

1) What to improve?
2) What to use?
3) where to put it?
4) What to look out for?
Old Jul 05, 2002, 09:31 AM
Pro Bro # 179
United States, TX, Little Elm
Joined Jan 2002
333 Posts
If they are weak, you might try some carbon fiber sparing.

just an idea

KevinM
KevinM is online now Find More Posts by KevinM
Old Jul 05, 2002, 11:18 PM
Folsom,Ca,USA
Joined Apr 2001
992 Posts
Its the center ply joiner where the trouble was.

the wing fails at the end of the joiner

Rest of wing is fine.

I repaired mine and made a hard ply center joiner that extends out to the second rib from the fuselage on each side.
I also made the struts functional by adding wire ends that screw to ply plates in the wing and fuselage.

No more problems.

easy to do when wing is not yet covered.

DaveW
DaveW is offline Find More Posts by DaveW
Old Jul 05, 2002, 11:25 PM
The One....
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
5,813 Posts
***I repaired mine and made a hard ply center joiner that extends out to the second rib from the fuselage on each side. ***

Dave,

By adding scrap balsa, do you think that by gluing it to the dihedral braces and the center joiner, not extending the ply, but adding a ply on top or bottom of the other would do the trick?

On the side where screws are located change the balsa piece same measurement but stronger.

What do you think?
Old Jul 06, 2002, 06:13 AM
Innisfil, Ontario, Canada.
Joined Dec 2000
455 Posts
Hi Genovia
Wing struts(functional) and a little more wing joiner bracing will fix
the wing folding problem. There is another week spot inherent with most high wing models, the vertical supports on the fuselage at the leading edge of the wing. To add some strength to them, add another vertical to the inside of each from the top to the bottom of the fuselage.Use Spruce instead of Balsa.
Airnut 2 is offline Find More Posts by Airnut 2
Last edited by Airnut 2; Jul 06, 2002 at 06:16 AM.
Old Jul 06, 2002, 10:53 AM
The One....
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
5,813 Posts
I'll see to it, thanks AIRNUT 2
Old Jul 08, 2002, 09:44 AM
MK
NJ
Joined Feb 2001
1,100 Posts
Is that lightening hole necessary in the rudder? I know on the plan, it said 'optional'. Also, what did you do to make that? Just some wide wood drill bits?
MK is offline Find More Posts by MK
Old Jul 08, 2002, 10:01 AM
The One....
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
5,813 Posts
***Is that lightening hole necessary in the rudder? I know on the plan, it said 'optional'. Also, what did you do to make that? Just some wide wood drill bits?***

Optional to the sense that balance (CG) has to be perfect, and the weight, I've managed to beefed up the fuselage, specially the bottom. and the firewall. I was looking ahead of how it will balance.

I used a pipe, and sharpened the round tip of it, twisted it through the balsa wood, and you have yourself a hole. Though it requires sharpening after every so often, but does the job nicely.