Old Apr 05, 2006, 11:52 PM
wishes this caption was longe
wilson, nc, usa
Joined Dec 2005
2,214 Posts
Discussion
What's the best flight sim for gliders?

Opinions anyone?

I have realflight g2 and was wondering if G3 or Aerofly or Reflex was more preferred specifically for gliders.

Mostly looking for flat land thermalling, but slope soaring is cool too.

thanks,
Will
will_newton is offline Find More Posts by will_newton
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2006, 07:08 AM
Uniblab
Cherry Hill, NJ
Joined Oct 2004
877 Posts
I think G3 beats Aerofly when it comes to sailplanes, but I have only tried slope soaring.
rwmson is offline Find More Posts by rwmson
Old Apr 06, 2006, 11:43 AM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
140 Posts
Simulated Thermal

Had G2 and then G3 which I prefer.

To practice thermal flying skills I go to the slope and start cranking the wind down. The challenge is to see how little wind you can set and still go up. I realize it does nothing for coring skills but you can practice your turning skills until you drop. You can practice in your face or at speck hight. And, soon as you think you are getting good, drop the wind a click.
bumbelbee is offline Find More Posts by bumbelbee
Old Apr 06, 2006, 11:28 PM
Northford, CT
Joined Feb 2005
532 Posts
You might want to take a look at CRRCsim. Its a freebe. I used it to teach myself to fly sailplanes when I was just starting. I think Mark Drela had a hand in designing the aerodynamics.

It has adjustable wind and thermal activity and the plane can be started at altitude to simulate a histart launch. Its a minimal system, but it still remains my favorite for practice on shooting approaches and landings and riding a thermal.

A Google search will get you to the Yahoo site.
Yardbird is offline Find More Posts by Yardbird