SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 05, 2009, 01:49 PM
Joined Nov 2009
2 Posts
Sorry to ressurect a seemingly long dead thread, however through my search for the answer to my problem, i decided i needed to.

I'm attempting to charge a fromeco transformer 2500mah pack, 3s with the following specs:
2500mah
charge rate: 1C, 2.5amps
max voltage: 12.6v
fully charged voltage: 12.6v
stop flying level: 11v

The catch is that the pack has a built in balancing chip that provides 'full time, active balancing' so i've been trying to use one of the non balanced presets and either get a 'cell over voltage' 'cells exceeded' 'bad cell count' .. amazing words of that nature.
so i suppose, if anyone would have any insight as how to get this thing charged with the multi4 let me know.
It's a brand new battery that ive been using while building my latest project.
joshpie is offline Find More Posts by joshpie
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2009, 09:52 PM View Post
nicolezhu85
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Spam). Show it to me anyway.
Old Nov 06, 2009, 11:14 AM
United States, WA, Kirkland
Joined Sep 2007
203 Posts
I had a Thunderpower 1320 2 cell that I left on the plane by mistake and over the next three days it had drained the LiPo down to .05 volts per cell. The CellPro 4S went into low volt cell recovery mode. I did a couple of charges overnight and it brought one cell up to .25 vts and the other up to .45 vts. Then another charge routine brought them up a little more. Then I plugged it in and the charger automatically went to the full charge mode! Wow....I set it down to .25 mAh charge to be gentle and it fully charged them. I've flown with the pack three times and I'm getting pretty close to full performance from it. WOW.
aeronca11AC is offline Find More Posts by aeronca11AC
Old Nov 06, 2009, 03:17 PM
AR-15 BRD!
Frederick, MD
Joined May 2002
1,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshpie View Post
Sorry to ressurect a seemingly long dead thread, however through my search for the answer to my problem, i decided i needed to.

I'm attempting to charge a fromeco transformer 2500mah pack, 3s with the following specs:
2500mah
charge rate: 1C, 2.5amps
max voltage: 12.6v
fully charged voltage: 12.6v
stop flying level: 11v

The catch is that the pack has a built in balancing chip that provides 'full time, active balancing' so i've been trying to use one of the non balanced presets and either get a 'cell over voltage' 'cells exceeded' 'bad cell count' .. amazing words of that nature.
so i suppose, if anyone would have any insight as how to get this thing charged with the multi4 let me know.
It's a brand new battery that ive been using while building my latest project.

Hi,

For safety reasons, the Multi4 will not charge a LiPo non-balanced having greater than 2s. That's why the charger is erroring out when you attempt to charge the battery through 2 wires only. I do not know the exact configuration of the Fromeco pack you are attempting to charge, but I was under the impression their packs also provide you access to the individual nodes, bypassing the on-board PCM/balancer. I think there is a header on the PCB mounted to the battery? If you can get the node connector and connect all cells directly to the charger, it will charge it balanced.
Howard Matos is offline Find More Posts by Howard Matos
Old Nov 06, 2009, 07:52 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
7,023 Posts
I am still puzzled at all the attempts to accurately charge these chemistries without some INDIVIDUAL cell monitoring
WhY do the "innovators" even putz around with these setups? Back when the world was new - some Nicad packs had diodes running from cell to cell - great idea -I guess -I never bothered .
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Nov 07, 2009, 10:58 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,663 Posts
Time will tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca11AC View Post
I had a Thunderpower 1320 2 cell that I left on the plane by mistake and over the next three days it had drained the LiPo down to .05 volts per cell. ...... Wow....I set it down to .25 mAh charge to be gentle and it fully charged them. I've flown with the pack three times and I'm getting pretty close to full performance from it. WOW.
Aeronca

I'm glad you managed to resurrect your battery but I fear it may not last very long. I over discharged one of the same packs down to 7.05V resting at cycle 25. At first I thought I had got away with it but by cycle 50 it was noticeably down on power and by cycle 75 it was useless.
Another pack bought at the same time has just done cycle no 157 and while not as good as new is good enough for me.

So I hope you get away with it better than I did but please keep a close eye on it during charging and after use to see if their is any swelling. don't trust it yet

Regards

Terry Rigden
Terry Rigden is online now Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Nov 18, 2010, 11:15 PM
Joined Sep 2007
203 Posts
Update: the battery pack I resurrected is still going strong and fully charges. I'm glad. No swelling or other issues with it.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 02:35 PM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,663 Posts
Glad you got away with it , how many cycles since your incident ?

Terry
Old Mar 11, 2012, 09:55 PM
Joined Sep 2007
203 Posts
March 2012

Still using this battery, it's lost a little charge but I'm still getting 15 minute flights off of it.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 08:06 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,722 Posts
Sweet
bildo baggins is online now Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:01 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,817 Posts
Quote:
I had a Thunderpower 1320 2 cell that I left on the plane by mistake and over the next three days it had drained the LiPo down to .05 volts per cell.
Quote:
March 2012

Still using this battery, it's lost a little charge but I'm still getting 15 minute flights off of it.
While it is good that you were able to recover this battery I just hope you and others do not get the wrong impressions from it.

First off that is a 13C rated LiPoly which was one of the best / top performance LiPolys available at that time.

Your 15 min. flights means that you are only using it a 4C average discharge rate.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Mar 21, 2012, 01:27 PM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca11AC View Post
March 2012

That's good news, I wish mine had recovered as well as your. Like you I'm running my remaining cells at 4C and they are doing well at about 200 cycles. How many has your battery done now ?

Terry